What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Travels in the US of A - SLO76
I’m off on my holidays to sunny Florida, and as usual my eyes are watching the roads and car lots for the sort of metal that appeal to the locals. I expected plenty of bloated, unnecessary and overweight American saloons and trucks but I’ve found the Americans to be a sensible lot with roads filled with some excellent normally aspirated petrol driven Japanese models we don’t get in the UK anymore, or ever in some cases. I much hanker after the current Toyota Camry and Honda Accord which fill the roads over here along with large Hyundai and Kia saloons and MPV’s.

They don’t seem to have been taken in by the daft top heavy SUV craze which has swept away all the good family saloons and the bulk of the larger family estates in the UK. We’re still just with worse to drive and less efficient SUV wannabe’s like the Qashqai and swmbo’s HRV instead, while I’d really rather have a good Camry, examples of which you see regularly here dating back to the 80’s and 90’s and still running.

I did spot a few Honda HRV’s and CRV’s and several showed paintwork damage from the heat, one HRV had the paint on the roof burnt off. Possibly it’s been a non-insurance approved bodge repair job but it wasn’t the only Honda I spotted with paint issues. Small SUV’s very much still play second fiddle to a good old family saloon car. Something I wish was still the case in the UK.

One thing I’m glad isn’t the same however is the standard of driving, which is some of the worst I’ve encountered on my behind the wheel travels over the years. They’re all over the place on the road, with no lane discipline at all.
Damned predictive text crap!

“ We’re still just with worse to drive and less efficient SUV wannabe’s”

Should read ‘We’re stuck with worse to drive and less efficient SUV wannabe’s.’
Travels in the US of A - Xileno

I was in Florida in 1990 so a long time ago but remember it fondly. Had a hired Pontiac Sunbird and drove up the coast to Norfolk Virginia taking about a week, stopping at all the great towns such as Charleston. Beaches fantastic - clear water and few people. When in Florida you should go to the Everglades and Epcot centre. Have a great time!

Travels in the US of A - John F

We visit our son annually in California and a few years ago drove his car (he didn't have the time) from New Jersey to his new home - approx 3000 miles. In my experience American driving is far more relaxed than UK. They are much more polite in suburbia to pedestrians and cyclists - not that there are many of either! I have experienced a greater degree of clueless driving and lane discipline on the M1, especially on its wider sections.

The two big differences are the same speed limit for all vehicles (obstructive frustrating 'elephant racing' is almost non-existent) and the freedom to over/undertake on multilane motorways, which obviates the absurd lane-jockeying seen on the wider stretches of our motorways when moving from lane 1 to overtake a blinkered 65mph driver in lane 3.

Travels in the US of A - groaver

Took a holiday there every year through the 2010s until COVID.

Yes, there are some great "old fashioned" sedans around.

What got me was regularly seeing enormous RVs pulling a Cadillac Escalade behind it as the run about when the RV was parked up!

Edited by groaver on 03/08/2022 at 11:35

Travels in the US of A - Crickleymal

I was on a training course in Wisconsin in 2017 for 5 weeks. Pretty much what we would consider normal cars everywhere. What got me though was the amount of rot in the sills of people carriers like Grand Voyagers and the like. I saw more than one that looked like they could fold in the middle at any second.

Edited by Crickleymal on 03/08/2022 at 13:14

Travels in the US of A - Steveieb

Strong consumer protection which includes the lemon law which allows refunds on unreliable goods has forced some European manufacturers notably French and Italian to withdraw from the market,

Wheras Japanese and Korean firms have prospered.

Apart from the usual companies , Subaru do particularly well and raises the question , why are our Subaru importers doing so badly over here.

Travels in the US of A - Heidfirst

About 1/2 of US Subarus are made in the US. I believe that it's their only factory outside Asia.

Travels in the US of A - alan1302

Strong consumer protection which includes the lemon law which allows refunds on unreliable goods has forced some European manufacturers notably French and Italian to withdraw from the market,

Wheras Japanese and Korean firms have prospered.

Apart from the usual companies , Subaru do particularly well and raises the question , why are our Subaru importers doing so badly over here.

Not sure about Italian brands - Fiat sell in the US - as do Ferrari and Lamboghini and Alfa.

Think Subaru may do badly here as they don't sell what people want here.

“ They are much more polite in suburbia to pedestrians and cyclists - not that there are many of either!”

I agree, in local driving they’re much more polite. Not seen any cyclists and hardly any pedestrians though. There’s hardly any sidewalks that I’ve noticed.

I was in Florida in 1990 so a long time ago but remember it fondly. Had a hired Pontiac Sunbird and drove up the coast to Norfolk Virginia taking about a week, stopping at all the great towns such as Charleston. Beaches fantastic - clear water and few people. When in Florida you should go to the Everglades and Epcot centre. Have a great time!

Thanks. We’re at Disney, been to Epcot and I’ve a hire car booked for next week for some further afield sight seeing. I’m acclimatising to the roads via the excellent bus service Disney operate and it’s just different. They do have poor lane discipline and drive too close but at least they’re not backed up in the overtaking lane like the i****s do in the UK. Allowing undertaking is a good idea, as is turning right on a stop signal if its clear to do so. The buses are of prehistoric design compared to those we use back home, but rust isn’t an issue so anything can be kept running much longer.

Edited by SLO76 on 04/08/2022 at 00:02

Travels in the US of A - MVP

The most frightening drive of my life was going into South Beach Miami.

In places it must of been 12 lanes wide (each direction) and cars were driving fast and at almost 90 degrees to get on/off the road. I tucked in behind a slow moving rickety old truck and sat there until I needed to get off.

I expected plenty of bloated, unnecessary and overweight American saloons and trucks but I’ve found the Americans to be a sensible lot with roads filled with some excellent normally aspirated petrol driven Japanese models we don’t get in the UK anymore, or ever in some cases. I much hanker after the current Toyota Camry and Honda Accord which fill the roads over here along with large Hyundai and Kia saloons and MPV’s. They don’t seem to have been taken in by the daft top heavy SUV craze which has swept away all the good family saloons and the bulk of the larger family estates in the UK.

You are either in the wrong state for it or you haven't left town ... :P

One thing I’m glad isn’t the same however is the standard of driving, which is some of the worst I’ve encountered on my behind the wheel travels over the years. They’re all over the place on the road, with no lane discipline at all.

There is an American-born Youtuber, originally from Georgia but now been in the UK for ~9 years, that I sometimes watch her UK v US comparisons & who, despite driving in the States for years before coming here, took 3 years to pass the UK test ...

Of course "undertaking" is legal there, when I have driven in the busier NE States I developed something akin to "Messerschmitt Twitch" from constantly checking as cars careened across multiple lanes from onramp to outside lane or outside lane to offramp.

Travels in the US of A - veloceman
I’ve just returned from two weeks also in Florida.
Amazed at how Kia and Hyundai have taken over. The Jap models they get look for more interesting than we have here. Was still nice to see the odd ancient V8 pickups on the road. The locals certainly weren’t happy with fuel rising to around £3:80 a gallon.
Personally I didn’t find the standard of driving to be an issue.
I also had a mini trip to Ohio to watch the Indy cars managing to rent a Dodge Challenger. (Only the V6). It was such a disappointment, slow and cumbersome. As they say be careful about meeting your hero.
Travels in the US of A - badbusdriver

I also had a mini trip to Ohio to watch the Indy cars managing to rent a Dodge Challenger. (Only the V6). It was such a disappointment, slow and cumbersome. As they say be careful about meeting your hero.

The Challenger is a heavy beast at over 1800kg, so I'm not at all surprised to hear it is cumbersome. But the V6 has over 300bhp, so while obviously not as quick as some variants, I wouldn't have expected it to be slow!

Travels in the US of A - Ethan Edwards

With the greatest of respect to Floridians, your state is kiddy school driving wise. Want a challenge try driving round Dallas / Austen. That's far harder. Nashville/ Tennessee /Florida/ Georgia/ Lousiana all on a par but Texas..was a challenge. Oh and Toyota Camry I got to drive a brand new one in Perth in 2019. Oh it was nice but the in car entertainment wouldn't support Android Auto so navigation was reliant on my wife holding the tablet. That and it took me 20 minutes at the airport to find the boot release. It was on the keyfob...long day late night flight...

. I also had a mini trip to Ohio to watch the Indy cars managing to rent a Dodge Challenger. (Only the V6). It was such a disappointment, slow and cumbersome. As they say be careful about meeting your hero.

We rented a Challenger back in 2015 although ours was something like 3 litre. Not very challenging at all. In fact my Peugeot 406 estate with a 2 litre engine was only about 0.5 seconds slower 0-60. But it was exceedingly comfortable and easy to drive.

Edited by Crickleymal on 03/08/2022 at 21:20

“ I’ve just returned from two weeks also in Florida.
Amazed at how Kia and Hyundai have taken over.”

Yeah, definitely up there beside Toyota for sales. The three of them seem to dominate. Subaru’s are much more common here than back home ditto Mazda. I approve of the American’s taste in cars.

Edited by SLO76 on 04/08/2022 at 01:14

Travels in the US of A - badbusdriver

We rented a Challenger back in 2015 although ours was something like 3 litre. Not very challenging at all. In fact my Peugeot 406 estate with a 2 litre engine was only about 0.5 seconds slower 0-60. But it was exceedingly comfortable and easy to drive.

Can't say the info I have is 100% correct, but according to it (auto-data.net), the least powerful Challenger from 2008 onwards had a 250bhp 3.5 V6, but only till 2010. From then on, the smallest and least powerful was (and still is) a 305bhp 3.6 V6.

Can't say the info I have is 100% correct, but according to it (auto-data.net), the least powerful Challenger from 2008 onwards had a 250bhp 3.5 V6, but only till 2010. From then on, the smallest and least powerful was (and still is) a 305bhp 3.6 V6.

My mistake it was about 2010 or 2009

Travels in the US of A - Engineer Andy
“ I’ve just returned from two weeks also in Florida. Amazed at how Kia and Hyundai have taken over.” Yeah, definitely up there beside Toyota for sales. The three of them seem to dominate. Subaru’s are much more common here than back home ditto Mazda. I approve of the American’s taste in cars.

They value reliability, longevity, practicality and whole life cost rather than mainly style, the amount of gizmos, performance and what value it'll be worth in 3 years.

Note also how cheap servicing / maintenance is in the US, and how much more often cars have oil changes and miraculously how much longer (distance as well as years) their engines last. Larger, lower stressed engines also normally last longer, which likely more than outweighs the cost of replacement parts, whole engines or needing to replace the car after so often.

“ I’ve just returned from two weeks also in Florida. Amazed at how Kia and Hyundai have taken over.” Yeah, definitely up there beside Toyota for sales. The three of them seem to dominate. Subaru’s are much more common here than back home ditto Mazda. I approve of the American’s taste in cars.

They value reliability, longevity, practicality and whole life cost rather than mainly style, the amount of gizmos, performance and what value it'll be worth in 3 years.

Note also how cheap servicing / maintenance is in the US, and how much more often cars have oil changes and miraculously how much longer (distance as well as years) their engines last. Larger, lower stressed engines also normally last longer, which likely more than outweighs the cost of replacement parts, whole engines or needing to replace the car after so often.

It's a very different market & mentality.

There is also no federal equivalent of the MOT & many states don't have one either so you will see vehicles in appalling condition but that are still being driven on the roads.

Their motor insurance market is also very difference - in some states it isn't mandatory or may have a very low minimum cover requirement.

“ They value reliability, longevity, practicality and whole life cost rather than mainly style, the amount of gizmos, performance and what value it'll be worth in 3 years.”

Agree. It’s unusual to see any German or British metal, which initially surprised me but I totally agree with them. It’s not that they’re not image conscious, there’s plenty of prestige Jap brands like Lexus, Acura and Infinity about. It’s that they value durability and robust designs over anything else. I agree with them, but I prefer hatchbacks to the weird saloon variants they get of the Toyota Yaris and Ford Fiesta etc, they look odd and are less practical.
Travels in the US of A - Steveieb

The success of the Kia initially in the US was down to the low deposit and ten yes ten year warranty.

There was customer resistance from the Vietnam veterans who were like to buy these economy cars in view of the recollection of the meaning of KIA. Which is Killed in Action !

this is specifically "mid-sized" i.e. Accord/Camry etc. segment data US carsalesbase.com/us-midsized-cars-2022-h1/

I find this an useful site for market sales/share/trends etc. info.

Just finished two days of driving via a Mitsubishi ASX CVT hire car, and I’m reminded of three things. One, how sad I am that Mitsubishi have fallen so low making garbage like this and two, that I utterly hate CVT gearboxes and this was an example of a bad one, a truly hateful thing. Jerky and noisy in operation in order to gain a few extra miles per gallon and a marginal improvement in emissions. The rest of the car is pretty forgettable if solid and reasonably comfortable.

The third is that they really are awful drivers over here in the good old US of A. I often thought that allowing undertaking would be a good thing, but after two days of having cars swerving all over the freeway and seeing the huge number of accidents and damaged cars from obvious side swipes my opinion has now changed. It makes for very stressful progress. The use of mobile phones while driving is also very commonplace and you’ll see drivers furiously texting away while swerving all over the road. Road rage is a common issue too, get in their way at all and you’ll receive a foaming horn blowing rant.

The roads are straight and boring with only the lively driving to keep you awake and the unlimited 75/80mph artic trucks undertaking you to keep you awake. I often thought a driving holiday here would be fun, from my short experience it’s not, it’s stressful.

As much as Disney itself is still magical and the staff on site are pleasant and helpful, take one step outside and you’ll find another world. I hate the tip system of paying for almost everything over here, I expected everything to be cheaper and thus a tip not an issue but I’ve found everything other than fuel to be dearer, even a trip to the mighty Walmart flagged up prices higher than my local Asda. Staff are generally rude and unhelpful, taxi drivers have zero chat and prices fluctuate hugely over the same trip. My interest in a driving (or any other) holiday in the states has gone but in our wee Disney bubble a good time was had.

Travels in the US of A - groaver

Yes, we had been warned that it was no longer cheap to visit now.

Food shopping was always dearer over there than the UK, we found.

It was always cheaper to eat out. Waiting staff were always friendly due to needing a tip to

Supplement their wages.

I often thought that allowing undertaking would be a good thing, but after two days of having cars swerving all over the freeway and seeing the huge number of accidents and damaged cars from obvious side swipes my opinion has now changed. It makes for very stressful progress.

I wondered why Americans needed cars capable of such high acceleration - & then I drove there. Joining a busy lane from an onslip can be interesting ...

The use of mobile phones while driving is also very commonplace and you’ll see drivers furiously texting away while swerving all over the road. Road rage is a common issue too, get in their way at all and you’ll receive a foaming horn blowing rant.

or the threat of a firearm

The roads are straight and boring with only the lively driving to keep you awake and the unlimited 75/80mph artic trucks undertaking you to keep you awake. I often thought a driving holiday here would be fun, from my short experience it’s not, it’s stressful.

It still can be but you need to get off the busy roads/away from the big cities.

I hate the tip system of paying for almost everything over here, I expected everything to be cheaper and thus a tip not an issue but I’ve found everything other than fuel to be dearer, even a trip to the mighty Walmart flagged up prices higher than my local Asda. Staff are generally rude and unhelpful, taxi drivers have zero chat and prices fluctuate hugely over the same trip.

& tips are expected as a right irrespective of level of service, don't leave one & you might be chased down the street by an irate server. Mind you, it's their system where minimum wage is so low in some states that no one can live on it & they need to earn tips. Some step up to the mark , genuinely give great service & earn it but many don't.

Last time I was over ~ 5 years ago it was obvious that it had become more expensive & not just by the amount of the £/$ exchange rate drift. The only things that were cheaper there than here were petrol, soda, electronics & automobiles - even bread, milk etc. were dearer. It was cheaper to eat out than shopping & cooking so people did, which meant the supermarkets were chasing a smaller market hence higher prices whereas the restaurants just further benefited from increased volume. It's pretty much the reverse of ours where it is cheaper to shop & eat at home with restaurant visits rarer (so restaurants are having to pay overheads from much smaller volume>higher prices>fewer visits ...)

Edited by Heidfirst on 10/08/2022 at 11:30

I hate the fact that tax isn't included in the shop prices so you think you're getting a bargain then they add so random figure to the bill for tax.

I found Walmart awful. Very limited range of food, almost no fresh food for instance just 1 variety of onion, one variety of orange and so on. But... you could buy bullets and knives so that's ok then.

I never really found the driving too bad, but then I rarely drove in cities especially at rush hour. The number of rusty, unfit for the road cars was frightening though.

I often thought that allowing undertaking would be a good thing, but after two days of having cars swerving all over the freeway and seeing the huge number of accidents and damaged cars from obvious side swipes my opinion has now changed. It makes for very stressful progress.

Goodness! Where was this? In 3000 miles of driving interstates from NJ to CA we saw hardly any accidents. And the driving was considerably less stressful than on UK motorways, e.g. M1/M6 from London to Scotland.

I wondered why Americans needed cars capable of such high acceleration - & then I drove there. Joining a busy lane from an onslip can be interesting ..

Their on and off slips are usually indistinguishable from the freeways they link, such is their usually sweeping design. Contrast that with entering/leaving the M1, or the tight curves onto, say, the M25. But what they really lack are roundabouts. The U-tube 'crazy driver' videos are full of collisions at their huge traffic-light controlled cross-roads.

I hate the tip system of paying for almost everything over here,

So do I - especially in CA where the minimum wage is higher than anywhere else......

www.citizenscount.org/news/how-does-nh-compare-min...E

I expected everything to be cheaper

What on earth made you think that? The UK currency has been on the slide ever since the 2WW (when half a crown was nick-named 'arf a dollar'.) when the Yanks virtually bankrupted us with their war loan. They still make and export lots of stuff. We don't. In most other 'western' countries things are now more expensive than here. QE2nd has reigned over the biggest debasement of our currency in its history.

Staff are generally rude and unhelpful

I think this depends on how and where you are. We find the opposite.

I wondered why Americans needed cars capable of such high acceleration - & then I drove there. Joining a busy lane from an onslip can be interesting ..

Their on and off slips are usually indistinguishable from the freeways they link, such is their usually sweeping design. Contrast that with entering/leaving the M1, or the tight curves onto, say, the M25.

I have driven in 30+ States over many years (I am a dual national). My Texan relatives say that I have seen more of Texas than most Texans ... I call it as I see it.

Travels in the US of A - alan1302

They still make and export lots of stuff. We don't. In most other 'western' countries things are now more expensive than here. QE2nd has reigned over the biggest debasement of our currency in its history.

Staff are generally rude and unhelpful

I think this depends on how and where you are. We find the opposite.

We do here in the UK as well - In 2021, the UK's exports of goods and services totalled £625 billion - that's quite a lot of stuff...

They still make and export lots of stuff. We don't. In most other 'western' countries things are now more expensive than here. QE2nd has reigned over the biggest debasement of our currency in its history.

We do here in the UK as well - In 2021, the UK's exports of goods and services totalled £625 billion - that's quite a lot of stuff...

Indeed, but only about 20% of that is made 'stuff'. Perhaps that doesn't matter?

Sitting in the airport awaiting our flight back to sunny Glasgow and after a frantic (and expensive) taxi ride here after our shuttle ride didn’t show up, and I’ve just found some interesting stats regards road related deaths in the US. Per 100,000 people the UK suffers 2.9 fatalities each year, while the US is vastly worse at 12.4, which is worse than Uzbekistan! I’m not surprised one bit, they really are awful.

Edited by SLO76 on 11/08/2022 at 20:27

Travels in the US of A - daveyjp

I'm also just back (i.e an hour ago) from my second US trip in about 20 years. No driving for me as we went to New York and stayed in Manhattan.

Flights were with Aer Lingus connecting at Dublin and they were excellent. Years ago I would have avoided narrow body twin jets for such a long trip, but the new A321 Neo is an excellent aircraft,

Only experience in a car was the trip from Newark to midtown and it was fine, Heavy traffic on arrival as it was about 6pm, but the route from the airport is from Lincoln Tunnel in lower Manhattan so it was a mini intro to where everything was.

As we walked almost everywhere (about 150,000 steps over 6 days!) we came across a lot of traffic with the need to cross a road every 100-150m or so and despite the amount of traffic, along with bikes, scooters, pedal rickshaws, food carts parked on every corner etc we found the behaviour of all road users towards pedestrians impeccable. If the lights are red they stop, turn on red, they stop to let pedestrians cross etc.

From TV coverage it looks like NYC will have congestion charging in the next few years, although whilst roads were busy, it was far removed from the gridlock of London.

Huge varied mix of vehicles. Most yellow cabs are now Toyotas or Nissan people carriers. Not many euro boxes, Subarus by the dozen and lots of oversized Navigators, Denalis, Suburbans etc, but none of them look out of place as everything is huge.

We used the subway a lot including venturing out to Brooklyn and Queens and despite the scary stories you can read it is no worse than London. Once you understand that different services use the same lines it is simple enough (we only got on one wrong train so just swapped platforms at the next station and went back), Trains were clean, generally on time, all had aircon and wifi and just $2.75 per trip regardless of how far you travel, which can be many miles. After 12 trips in a week the rest are free, all payments done via an app and contactless apple pay or card.

We suffered with a signal failure affecting services and I ended up being the Englishman in NY explaining to US residents, new to New York and in a panic, to get on the first service heading in the general Manhattan direction and just change.

All in all a great trip, but like all big cities you don't see much in a few days.

Edited by daveyjp on 17/08/2022 at 10:18

The last time I went to the USA (2017) it was with Are Lingus. Horrible flight on some sort of Airbus. The flight from Birmingham to Dublin was fine but the transatlantic flight not good. Cramped seating, to the point that I was beginning to get claustrophobia (and I go caving), tepid tea and very lacklustre food.