What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Driving licence @ 70 - MGspannerman

I will be 70 later this year and will need to renew my driving licence. I also drive the volunteer minibus, taking people shopping etc. This mean I need to have the D1 category on my licence. I obtained this under grandfather rights when the plastic cards came in but if I renew online then both D1 and C1 (light trucks) are removed. To retain them it is necessary to fill in forms, get a medical certificate etc, none of which is a problem in itself.

I can continue to drive in the UK whilst the form is being processed if it is not back in time. However, five days after my 70th we are due to drive down to the south of France for a major family event. If my licence is not back in time due to delays in processing paper applications then I cannot drive in France, a fate not to be contemplated would then be visited upon me by you know who. In France the driver must be in physical possession of a licence otherwise they can lock you up, confiscate the car and blame you personally for Brexit, Dunkirk, Agincourt etc (probably, they are French after all).

My question is can I apply online, get the plastic card back which I understand comes through very quickly as it is automatic. Nobody "working from home" needs to process it. But can I then apply for D1 as a minimum to be restored? I gather you can continue to drive a category providing it is under application. That way I can be much more assured that I have the licence for the french trip, and also continue to drive the minibus for the locals.

At the moment I cannot take the risk of a paper based application with the DVLA service being as it is at the moment.

Thanks

Driving licence @ 70 - veryoldbear

Not sure if it would work, but could you get an International Driving Licence (over the counter in the Post Office) to take with you in the unlikely event of being stopped? Would the Bold Gendarmes accept it? And do you still have your old paper licence?

Edited by veryoldbear on 03/05/2022 at 13:46

Driving licence @ 70 - focussed

An International Driving Permit (also known as International Driving Licence) is a document containing official translation of your national driving licence. It is issued through worldwide network of AIT/FIA organisations, duly authorized by their governments to issue IDPs. Most countries require visitors to have an IDP if they want to drive outside of their home country. Having an IDP means you are able to drive in foreign countries without the need for further tests or applications. In order to obtain an IDP, you must apply before you travel in the same country that issued you a national driving license. IDP is an addition, not a replacement of your national driving licence. In order to drive abroad, you must carry your IDP along with your national driving license at all times.

Driving licence @ 70 - Will deBeast

A bit of discussion here on renewing C1s - some seem to get it back in a few weeks, others in many weeks.

www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/c1-again.2422.../

Edited, having re-read the rules at assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/upload...f

This one jumped out at me:

"To continue driving under Section 88, you must meet all of the following criteria:

...• You have held a valid driving licence (see *below) and only drive vehicles you have applied for on your current application and were entitled to drive on your previous licence"

I'm not sure whether that means you'd be covered to drive minibuses under section 88 until the new licence comes back. It all depends what they mean by 'previous licence'.

Edited by Will deBeast on 03/05/2022 at 13:57

Driving licence @ 70 - RT

Yes, you can apply to renew your BE online, ready for your French trip, and then apply for the D1 later with the relevant medicals - you don't lose your D1 completely so it can be re-issued once you've provided the extra documentation.

Edited by RT on 03/05/2022 at 15:11

Driving licence @ 70 - MGspannerman

Many thanks everybody, some very useful thoughts and information here. I think the reality is that I have no option but to renew automatically and then reapply for D1. I simply cannot afford to miss the French trip. If that means the other drives in the team have to do my turn for a while so be it. I think a pint or two would smooth things out.

Driving licence @ 70 - Engineer Andy

Many thanks everybody, some very useful thoughts and information here. I think the reality is that I have no option but to renew automatically and then reapply for D1. I simply cannot afford to miss the French trip. If that means the other drives in the team have to do my turn for a while so be it. I think a pint or two would smooth things out.

Good luck with that. My mum's passport has run out and because of all the similar problems at their dept, she's been forced to visit the regional office in person next week to start the ball rolling on a fast track to getting it renewed.

She'll still have to rely on their admin people and the (apparently not-so-good) specific courier they use for actually processing, making and sending the new one to her home by August. And paying a significant premium for the 'priviledge'.

Not sure if the DVLA has any way of speeding things up at present, and I've read many horror stories in the papers recently about waiting times on all these sorts of things.

I also just looked up some requirements on the .gov website and you would need a current valid passport if you want to renew your driver's licence and need to change the licence photo. Hopefully yours is OK (validity) as that could put the kybosh on the whole thing under the current circumstances.

dvladigital.blog.gov.uk/2022/01/14/how-to-renew-yo.../

Driving licence @ 70 - _

During the pandemic, I had to phone DVLA medical and rang at 7.59 and 55 seconds in the morning. managed to get straight through to someone who put me through, and 2 minutes later all sorted.

Ring EARLY.. as above.

Driving licence @ 70 - Engineer Andy

During the pandemic, I had to phone DVLA medical and rang at 7.59 and 55 seconds in the morning. managed to get straight through to someone who put me through, and 2 minutes later all sorted.

Ring EARLY.. as above.

Maybe you got through to the one person who was actually working in their office rather than at home! :-)

Lots of these services appear to be a complete lottery as to the level of service at the moment, possibly where location (and thus likely the management thereof) of the office making a reasonable difference to the outcome.

Driving licence @ 70 - FoxyJukebox
I would imagine that with the data access, the complex systems and the despatch arrangements-this would be a seriously difficult job to complete AT HOME.
I blame management for allowing it to fester and also the workers for not having the guts to help their seniors come up with sensible ways of getting round the problem.

Driving licence @ 70 - _
I would imagine that with the data access, the complex systems and the despatch arrangements-this would be a seriously difficult job to complete AT HOME. I blame management for allowing it to fester and also the workers for not having the guts to help their seniors come up with sensible ways of getting round the problem.

I think I wrote in another post about Dr youngrovergirl.. HAD to go into work, even for telephone conversations as NHS could not provide a secure encrypted laptop to access patient details from home.

So normal clinics seeing patients and telephone consultations too, but all at the hospital. No Choice.