What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
All - Recent Changes Highway Code - HGV ~ P Valentine

Hello One and All,

Another change of name on here so thought I would use my real name. For those wanting to be clever yes this is the 3rd time I have changed my handle on here.

The much advertised changes about horses and pedestrians which have stated that we must now give way to horses crossing roads etc has been looked at, I went and bought a copy of the highway code and I can tell you that apart from the usual rules of not being allowed to run over slow road users, there is NOTHING that states horses or cyclists have any extra right of way then they did before.

Horse Rules are 49-55, 163, 187, 214, 215, 253.

Cyclists Rules are 59-82, 211-213, 253. Rule 72 states DO NOT ride on the inside of vehicles signalling or slowing down to turn left, so the responsibility is still on the cyclists as MUST and MUST NOT are lawful and not advisory.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On another matter I saw a learner driver under instruction ( supposedly professional ) go from lane 2 of an unmarked roundabout to exit.

Rule 185. Clearly shows a picture that even on an unmarked standard roundabout you need to do the following, and if you are a learner driver then tell your instructor and if required show him this rule in the highway code.

1st exit Approach lane 1, indicating left on the approach, allowing enough room for a car to go alongside.

2nd exit Approach lane 1, only indicate after PASSING 1st EXIT but not before. Again allowing enough room for another car to go alongside.

3rd exit, Approach lane 2 indicating right on the approach indicating left after the 2nd exit so that when you come off the roundabout you are on the outside lane and not crossing 2 lanes.

4th exit ( coming about ) Approach on 2nd exit indicate right, indicate left after 3rd exit so that when you leave the roundabout you are on the outside of the roundabout, and not crossing 2 lanes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why do I bring up roundabouts, at work someone was told that when taking the 2nd exit he should approach on lane 2. In all the examples in the highway code it shows 2 lanes on an unmarked roundabout, not the 1 that most people use.

All - Recent Changes Highway Code - Heidfirst

Why do I bring up roundabouts, at work someone was told that when taking the 2nd exit he should approach on lane 2. In all the examples in the highway code it shows 2 lanes on an unmarked roundabout, not the 1 that most people use.

Imo it depends where the e.g. 2nd exit is. e.g. if the 2nd exit is at anywhere between 12 & 6 o'clock I would probably use lane 2 (assuming that only 2 lanes are available)

All - Recent Changes Highway Code - mcb100
Exactly this - it’s not the number of exits, it’s the angle of the exit in relation to the entry to the roundabout.
If the second exit is past 12 o’clock, then it’ll be a right lane arrival. If there are three exits before 12 o’clock, it’ll be the left lane unless road markings dictate otherwise.
All - Recent Changes Highway Code - Sofa Spud

The thing is this - some people think you should use lane 2 to go straight ahead on a roundabout (with no lane arrows) while others think you should use lane 1. I use lane 1 normally, but I still get carved up at the 2nd exit by drivers who thought I was going left!

There's one notorious roundabout where about 60% of drivers going ahead use lane 1 and about 40% use lane 2. On this roundabout I deliberately straddle the approach lanes slightly, since blocking a following driver momentarily is less bad than being carved up by them when exiting straight ahead.

It's a bit like the argument about whether two right-turning vehicles should pass behind or in front of each other. I know the advice is to go behind, as it's safer, but try doing that at the traffic lights just up the road from me and see what reaction it gets!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 02/05/2022 at 00:02

All - Recent Changes Highway Code - Will deBeast

In my part of the country, about 10% of (mostly elderly) drivers signal right on the approach to a roadabout, using lane 2. And then suddenly signal left and move to lane one. Leaving on exit 2.

It's not a change of mind - I followed one recently, and he/she did it consistently.

It still catches me out from time to time.