Replacement car - bluenun

I have had my current 2003 Ford Focus 1.6 auto since 2006 and I love it.

It is currently in the garage for a new in tank fuel pump and I have been thinking it is inevitable that one day something serious will go wrong and I will need a replacement.

I am a window cleaner and I also use it for work so I want another similar sized vehicle with a similar sized boot. I do not want an estate car or a diesel engine.

I have been looking at another Ford Focus from the year 2015 but the Eco boost engines have had such a bed press and so has the powershift (I would prefer an auto over a manual).

Vauxhall Astra seem to rate so badly in reviews.

How about a Citroen C4, I believe they are 3 cylinders, any good?

Any suggestions would be appreciated so that I can search for prices and reviews.

Replacement car - Falkirk Bairn

Toyota / Mazda petrol

Replacement car - daveyK_UK
If you want an auto, it needs to be a torque converter or a Honda / Toyota CVT

The Peugeot 308 is available with a very good torque converter

Happy Easter

Edited by daveyK_UK on 17/04/2022 at 10:30

Replacement car - JonestHon

Budget and type of mileage?

I would keep the Ford if I was you. Otherwise a 2013+ Honda Civic CVT Auto with a very large interior or the Auris post 2010 should come with a CVT.

Replacement car - John F

I would keep the Ford if I was you.

So would I. The only reason our Focus with its Ford/Mazda bombproof maintenance free autobox and reliable Yamaha designed 1.6 Zetec engine became u/s at 21yrs old and 161,000 miles was because of encroaching sill rust, neglected during its last couple of years of son's ownership. It's now costing you nothing in depreciation, which would be a four figure annual sum if you went for a much newer car.

Replacement car - SLO76
Need your budget in order to give any meaningful advice. Also, let us know roughly where you will be searching and we’ll look up a few options nearby.
Replacement car - bluenun

Thank-you for the suggestions and replies and Happy Easter everyone.

To answer the questions,

I am in the east midlands but can travel for the right vehicle.

The last few years I have done about 3000 miles per year sometimes 4000.

I have 8k but could stretch to 11k. I would prefer mileage below 40k.

Editing, Thanks for the suggestion of a Peugeot 308. I like the look of them,

2015 308 53k miles under £9k, bigger boot than the Focus, low tax, what is the 1.2 Puretech allure engine like or is the older 1.6 a better choice?

As suggested a Honda Civic petrol1.8 VTEC auto also fits the bill,

2013 37k miles, big boot or a 2015 with 54k miles. both under £9k.

Or a Honda Jazz but will the 1.3 or 1.4 be underpowered?

2011 £8k 21k miles.

Edited by bluenun on 17/04/2022 at 13:14

Replacement car - daveyK_UK
I’m not sure if a 2015 Peugeot 308 will have the EAT8 eight-speed auto, I think it will only be found from 2018 onwards when they started to build the current 308.
Replacement car - DavidGlos
Probably the EAT6, 6 speed torque converter auto at that age.