What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda 3 - Mazda3 2.2 Diesel 1st Gear pull away judder - sleepo98

Hi all, I'm new to the forum so please forgive me if this topic has been covered but I've been struggling to find any advice on this issue.

I recently purchased a 2017 Mazda3 2.2d Sport Nav, which is fantastic but very different from the VAG cars I've had in the past where there's lots of advice available.

The car has only covered 47k (full Mazda SH) and is in good nick to be fair. I am experiencing a strange judder when pulling away in 1st gear; which seems to be less severe if I pick the revs up a little than I normally would. Initially it got me thinking DMF or clutch but I've spoken to several Mazda dealers who say it's extremely rare to see this in these cars, particularly at this mileage.

On heavy load in gear it's as smooth as silk and changing gear is also fine. I have it booked in for diagnostic tomorrow with my local dealer but I'm concerned they'll start charging through the nose before getting to the bottom of it. I wondered if anyone has had a similar issue? If so what was the outcome and cost implications?

Any advice is massively appreciated.

Mazda 3 - Mazda3 2.2 Diesel 1st Gear pull away judder - FP

I have the same in my CX-5 (petrol) and it's my understanding that it's a common*, but insignificant fault caused my condensation in the clutch, resulting in judder. Once the car is warmed up the problem disappears.

In dry, warm weather it's absent.

*Contrary to what the dealers have been telling you - but the difficulty car dealers have in telling truth would lead me not to place too much reliance on them.

Mazda 3 - Mazda3 2.2 Diesel 1st Gear pull away judder - Xileno

Welcome to the forum. This has been raised before, you may find this thread useful, which was first started a few years ago but updated earlier this year.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/123058/mazda-3-2-0...4

Mazda 3 - Mazda3 2.2 Diesel 1st Gear pull away judder - sleepo98

I have the same in my CX-5 (petrol) and it's my understanding that it's a common*, but insignificant fault caused my condensation in the clutch, resulting in judder. Once the car is warmed up the problem disappears.

In dry, warm weather it's absent.

*Contrary to what the dealers have been telling you - but the difficulty car dealers have in telling truth would lead me not to place too much reliance on them.

Hi, thanks for the reply and sharing your experience.

I've been strong enough to battle with the dealer to get the clutch and DMF replaced to ensure it's not just worn and hopefully the condensation/judder will not effect the replacement parts.

Mine seems to be intermittent to be fair, sort of worse when it's hot strangely? My old M140i Beemer used to be bad when it was cold but got better but this oddly is the other way round. Considering the cost of the replacement I had to make sure they'd sort it for complete peace of mind!

Cheers and all the best.