What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Petrol price - - are major supermarkets now a cartel? - John F

There is a Shell garage on the A43 just south of Kettering which for ages has priced its fuel around 10p per litre above that of the local supermarkets. Today I bought E10 there at 155.9 per litre, having seen a price of 166.9 at Morrisons and Asda, which were usually the cheapest. Are they in cahoots profiteering?

Petrol price - - are major supermarkets now a cartel? - RT

Asda are no longer the market "leader" since they were bought out by the owners of Euro Garages Group.

Petrol price - - are major supermarkets now a cartel? - Crickleymal

I've seen different prices at the 2 Sainsbury's in Gloucester and the other Sainsbury's in Cheltenham. Likewise the Asdas differ.

Petrol price - - are major supermarkets now a cartel? - badbusdriver

Haven't checked recently as I haven't filled up either van or car recently. But the last time I did fill the van up, our local Morrisons had cheapest fuel in town (which includes an Asda) by a couple of pence per litre.

Edited by badbusdriver on 02/04/2022 at 18:30

Petrol price - - are major supermarkets now a cartel? - sammy1

MFG group owned by a USA consortium has a large number of fuel stations in the UK. The consortium is looking at taking over Morriisons which of course has a large number of fuel stations which sell fuel at very competitive prices. The takeover is being closely looked at because of the conflict of interest to fair prices to consumers

Petrol price - - are major supermarkets now a cartel? - daveyjp

I think we need to accept fuel pricing is still all all over the place. On my trips out over the last couple of days.

Cheapest near me is Morrisons 156.9, next is Asda 157.7. Major brands, take your pick between 158.9 and 168.9.

Petrol price - - are major supermarkets now a cartel? - alan1302

MFG group owned by a USA consortium has a large number of fuel stations in the UK. The consortium is looking at taking over Morriisons which of course has a large number of fuel stations which sell fuel at very competitive prices. The takeover is being closely looked at because of the conflict of interest to fair prices to consumers

MFG Group is owned by the same company that recently purchased Morrisons - Clayton Dubilier & Rice, it's them not MFG Group that own the supermarkets - do you mean MFG may be taking over the fuel side of things?

Petrol price - - are major supermarkets now a cartel? - sammy1

Clayton D&R own Morrissons and also MFG hence the conflict with the number of filling stations it now controls hence the watchdog looking at its monopoly