What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renault Clio - Proof of work done to Bodywork - malct

My car had a repair done at the insurance approved bodyworks , The 2 passenger side doors were damaged, They replaced the rear door but did a bad job on the front passenger door , So after complaining , They decided to replace the front door with a new door.

I have got all the paperwork from the first repair and today i dropped the car off to get the front door replaced.

I asked the lady on the desk if she can give me a up to date paperwork showing all the work that was done including the new front Passenger side door for the car's history, She replied , To be honest , Your better not showing the repairs in the history, People don't want to buy a car that's been in a accident.

The car in my opinion is has good as new once the front door is fitted and painted up, All the damage was along the 2 doors with a deep scratch and the 2 doors have been replaced, So i don't see the problem and i have kept photos of the damage for future reference plus i am sure that the accident "You can read about this in another post of mine" will be on the insurance companies records for all to see.

It was just strange that the lady told me that it would be better not to show the history of the repairs.

I have got all emails regards the new front door , But she did tell me to ask the Insurance company for a breakdown of the work that was done.

I have to say , The work that was done to the repair on the front door was not good and the estimator said that they should have replaced the door after the repair failed and was not inspected correctly. Pleased that i checked it !!!

Renault Clio - Proof of work done to Bodywork - sammy1

I remember your original post and I am pleased that you are now happy with your repair. If as you say the insurance has put your car back to where it was before then I would move on. If at some point in the future you trade your car it will make no difference to the price you get. If you sell privately then do not mention the repair as it will almost certainly tend to put people off and they will go looking for other problems

Renault Clio - Proof of work done to Bodywork - Andrew-T

If as you say the insurance has put your car back to where it was before then I would move on. If at some point in the future you trade your car it will make no difference to the price you get. If you sell privately then do not mention the repair as it will almost certainly tend to put people off and they will go looking for other problems

I'm sure most buyers of used cars will expect that their purchase will have been maintained to standard, which may sometimes include repairs to bodywork - and I guess the 'lady on the desk' was only advising the owner to do what most self-interested traders might do. The underlying question is at what point do the repairs become important enough to be worth covering up or lying about.

Obviously you don't advertise a car you hope to sell as Written-off, Repaired, but equally you should answer honestly any questions from would-be buyers. In this particular case, if a car has had both doors on one side replaced, a reasonable query would be whether the bodyshell has been distorted. Hopefully the door-shuts will look good, but a lot of buyers might decide it is a poor risk.

to be honest, its the best car that i have owned, I have just taxed it at £0 since its diesel, So no plans on selling it , But i thought that it was best to keep all the history of the car just in case their are questions on the repair in the future , But yes , I agree with you and move on.

Its now over 5 years old and i bought it from Renault Group Pre Reg at £11500 and we buy any car are quoting £9000 and yes i know , That's the top end and it would need to be mint condition which it is not , Plus its only doing 6000 Miles a year and for a diesel, That's too low according to honest John and other experts but i do put the PDF cleaner in and a good run now and again

Regards " a reasonable query would be whether the bodyshell has been distorted. Hopefully the door-shuts will look good, but a lot of buyers might decide it is a poor risk"

Luckily the shell was not damaged, It was mainly the door mirror getting scrapped down the side of the doors by the cow.. (see my other post) and luckily the front and the rear was unmarked

Renault Clio - Proof of work done to Bodywork - SLO76
“ I asked the lady on the desk if she can give me a up to date paperwork showing all the work that was done including the new front Passenger side door for the car's history, She replied , To be honest , Your better not showing the repairs in the history, People don't want to buy a car that's been in a accident.”

She’s 100% correct. Don’t tell anyone about the cars accident damage, it’ll only serve to put buyers off.
Renault Clio - Proof of work done to Bodywork - Big John
She’s 100% correct. Don’t tell anyone about the cars accident damage, it’ll only serve to put buyers off.

Yup - it's not just the repairing of metalwork but the standard of paintwork / rustproofing etc. I've spotted many a car that has one or two panels showing signs of decay/rust/fading where it's obvious a car has had an accident a few years ago. For me any signs of major accident repair means walk away.

Renault Clio - Proof of work done to Bodywork - Andrew-T
Don’t tell anyone about the car's accident damage, it’ll only put buyers off.

The tricky bit comes when a punter asks Has the car been in an accident - that door looks a slightly different shade ? You then wrestle with your conscience, and possibly persuade yourself that it wasn't a proper accident, I only hit a cow. But if the repair has been done properly, to your satisfaction anyway, that should be OK.

Just remember to throw away the repair bills when you hand over the paperwork file ....

Renault Clio - Proof of work done to Bodywork - edlithgow

Another nice thing about running bangers is/was you can distance yourself from all this autotrader skullduggery and hold on to the moral high ground.

Hmm...Do I need a smiley here?

Er...Nope. Don't think so.