What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volvo C30 - Covered after warranty runs out? - Shane Fitzgerald

Morning all,

I picked up a Volvo C30 3 weeks ago with a 2 month warranty with it. It's been absolutely fine other than a 'grinding' sound from the front at about 40-60 mph. At first I thought it could be the manifold blowing, it's not ridiculously loud but now I'm very aware of it.

Yesterday I asked a mechanic friend to take a listen and typically it was quieter than usual.

My question is, if I report this to the garage where I bought it and they cant find it, would I still be covered under warranty after the 2 months as I have reported the fault whilst in warranty?

TIA

Volvo C30 - Covered after warranty runs out? - SLO76
Probably just a wheel bearing. These won’t typically be covered by a used car warranty but you can ask them to do it as goodwill. Contact them and get it checked. Even if you are left to pay for it, it’s not an expensive part, typically £30/£40 plus fitting.

Edited by SLO76 on 06/02/2022 at 11:56

Volvo C30 - Covered after warranty runs out? - elekie&a/c doctor
Fortunately, the majority of mechanical parts on these are the same as a Focus , so not too expensive to repair .
Volvo C30 - Covered after warranty runs out? - Falkirk Bairn

Cars should have 6 months warranty , at least, assuming the car is not sold as a banger or spares.

Consumer Protection - google it.

Volvo C30 - Covered after warranty runs out? - Andrew-T

We don't know the age or mileage of this car, but I don't think Consumers are Protected about relatively cheap and non-threatening things like noisy wheel bearings ? (if that is what the problem is).

Volvo C30 - Covered after warranty runs out? - badbusdriver

Cars should have 6 months warranty , at least, assuming the car is not sold as a banger or spares.

Just Googled it, can't find anything confirming what you have said, though I only looked through the first couple of results. What I did find is that the consumer can demand a refund within 30 days under certain circumstances, though a wheel bearing (assuming that's what it is) probably wouldn't be considered a valid reason for a refund.

The OP doesn't say the age of car or how much it cost, but a Volvo C30 is going to be between 9 and 16 years old, so we are not talking about a young car here and expectations need to reflect that (and the price)

Volvo C30 - Covered after warranty runs out? - Big John

www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights

Between 30 days and 6 months

If a fault comes to light after 30 days but before 6 months you’re entitled to a repair, replacement or refund.

• It’s assumed in law that the fault was present at the time of purchase unless the seller can prove otherwise.
  • Unless you’ve agreed otherwise, the seller (dealer) has only one opportunity to repair (or replace) the faulty vehicle after which, if they fail to repair it, you’re entitled to a refund.
  • In the event of a refund following a failed attempt at repair during the first six months the seller may make a 'reasonable' adjustment to the amount refunded to take account of the use that you’ve had of the vehicle.

Edited by Big John on 07/02/2022 at 00:16

“ An old car with high mileage wouldn’t be expected to be as good as a younger car with low mileage”

Applicable here.

“ The dealer’s not liable for fair wear and tear, where the vehicle broke down or the fault emerged through normal use”

A wheel bearing is a wear and tear item.

Much depends on the age and mileage of this particular car, a C30 car s likely to be older with a fair mileage up, but as the OP hasn’t replied to any of us it looks like we’ll never know.

Edited by SLO76 on 07/02/2022 at 07:48

Thank you.

Could or would I expect any play through the steering wheel if it's wheel bearing? I have no issues there.

Volvo C30 - Covered after warranty runs out? - Andrew-T

Could or would I expect any play through the steering wheel if it's wheel bearing? I have no issues there.

Don't think so, wheel bearings usually make a moaning noise on cornering, which can rise to a screech if nothing is done about it.

Thank you.

Shouldn’t do, it’ll just be noisy. Sort of grumbles away.
Volvo C30 - Covered after warranty runs out? - expat

Get it looked at soon. Dud wheel bearings can seize on the stub axle and then you would need to replace that also at additional expense. I have been there and done that.

Volvo C30 - Covered after warranty runs out? - thunderbird

Get it looked at soon. Dud wheel bearings can seize on the stub axle and then you would need to replace that also at additional expense. I have been there and done that.

Exactly this. Happened to me back in the 70's, wheel bearing became a bit noisy and a few weeks later started to "clunk". Then over the next few hours that turned into a severe instability, it could have been really inconvenient since I was best man at a wedding and had a groom in the car taking him to church (the wedding cars had let them down unannounced).. Cost me new bearings, stub axle and a hub.

Don't delay, get it sorted.

Can and will eventually but it’ll have been grumbling noisily away long before this happens. As with any car of mine I’d attend to it quickly rather than allowing it to become a problem.

It's booked in for Thursday, see what happens. Thanks all

Update - was a wheel bearing, repaired

Volvo C30 - Covered after warranty runs out? - badbusdriver

Update - was a wheel bearing, repaired

Good to hear and hopefully it will be fine now.

That’s good to hear. I like the C30, it’s an interesting looking car and drives quite well thanks to the Ford Focus underpinnings. It kinda has hints of the Volvo 480 about it. The T5 will definitely be a classic one day but the smaller petrols make interesting budget buys. The 1.6 diesels are however quite fragile so extra care is required if that’s what’s fitted to your car.

Edited by SLO76 on 05/03/2022 at 16:30

Volvo C30 - Covered after warranty runs out? - craig-pd130
That’s good to hear. I like the C30, it’s an interesting looking car and drives quite well thanks to the Ford Focus underpinnings. It kinda has hints of the Volvo 480 about it. The T5 will definitely be a classic one day but the smaller petrols make interesting budget buys. The 1.6 diesels are however quite fragile so extra care is required if that’s what’s fitted to your car.

Agreed, I had a R-Design model as a courtesy car for a few days and the interior was very nicely done. Unfortunately it was a 1.6 diesel so it was slow and grumbly, which detracted from the overall experience.

I would like to try a T5 or one of the 5-pot diesels, I'm pretty sure they put the D3 2 litre 5-cylinder oil-burner in them, that's a cracking little motor, bags of torque and makes a nice noise too.

Volvo C30 - Covered after warranty runs out? - Trilogy.

Better quality than a Focus, but the Ford is a sharper drive.