What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ask HJ - how to reply to answer - gasengineer

Is there a way to follow up or reply to an answer given on Ask HJ to seek clarification, or to disagree, or to say that they have not actually answered the question?

Ask HJ - how to reply to answer - _

Is there a way to follow up or reply to an answer given on Ask HJ to seek clarification, or to disagree, or to say that they have not actually answered the question?

Quote the question here and see what the panel replies.

You could always ask in the ask hj section giving the details and FAO the original responder.

No guarantee you'll get a reply.

Thanks will do.

It was to do with left foot braking in an automatic. I have no view either way but I was surprised that after years of promoting and defending left foot braking there was no reference to the sudden U turn.

This was my question:
Dear HJ.
In reply to a question about learning left foot braking you said that you would not recommend it and even questioned the value of it altogether, yet you have been making a point of championing it for many years.
Why the sudden U turn with no explanation as to your change of heart?

This was the answer:
Hi,
I do not recommend this technique for driving and fail to see what benefit it provides in everyday driving.
The recommendation to left foot brake was a personal view of the website founder Peter Lorimer (Honest John) who left the company two years ago.
Regards,
Dan

My reply would be along the lines below:
The website still gives the impression that HJ answers the questions and there is no mention of him not being involved. When you go to the ask a question page, HJ's picture comes up with his trademark hat and the blurb about how long he has been in the motor trade. www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/
My point was you made no reference in your original reply to the fact that the website, on whose behalf you are answering, has suddenly changed its long held and well known view on left foot braking. There are pages of questions where HJ defended this to people posting exactly the same view as you have in your replies to the original question and to me.

Edited by gasengineer on 05/02/2022 at 11:03

Ask HJ - how to reply to answer - sammy1

On the specific question of who is answering the questions to the HJ site then it is quite specific as to the person answering even giving a picture of the individual. There will always be a difference of opinion as to some answers that are given, that is why this forum can be so useful to some.

Ask HJ - how to reply to answer - FP

"The website still gives the impression that HJ answers the questions and there is no mention of him not being involved. When you go to the ask a question page, HJ's picture comes up with his trademark hat and the blurb about how long he has been in the motor trade. www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/

My point was you made no reference in your original reply to the fact that the website, on whose behalf you are answering, has suddenly changed its long held and well known view on left foot braking. There are pages of questions where HJ defended this to people posting exactly the same view as you have in your replies to the original question and to me."

I expect you realise the "real" HJ no longer has any involvement with the website and it might be pointless to expect consistency with past opinions. Acknowledging there has been a shift is probably too subtle for anyone to bother with.

Ask HJ - how to reply to answer - Palcouk

To add to what has been said, If you are old and decrepid like me you are unlikely to be able to get your head/body around left foot braking in an auto. So we will continue to read stories generally with the elderly involved, that the car suddenly accelerated whilst they were parking.

Ask HJ - how to reply to answer - catsdad

I suspect the OP is using an old link. It seems to work but it includes a different set of blurb that my usual access didn’t show. By the way I don’t think HJ’s enormous file of FAQs exists any longer?

However to add to the confusion some of the current Ask HJ entries have reverted to using his picture against the answers instead of the current journalist. No doubt the site techie will resolve it when it’s noticed.

As for left foot braking it’s been done to death on here and few, if any, of us would advocate it. HJ presumably still believes in it but his successors have taken the alternative mainstream view.

Edited by catsdad on 06/02/2022 at 09:06

Ask HJ - how to reply to answer - SLO76
“ As for left foot braking it’s been done to death on here and few, if any, of us would advocate it.”

Anything that adds confusion and complexity is a bad idea for elderly drivers in my opinion. Though I do agree with coaxing people into autos in their dotage. I used to buy any small conventional autos I could get my hands on. They were an easy sell and to me it made driving easier for older punters. I had a particular fondness for the Mitsubishi Colt autos, which were nearly indestructible and came with very light PAS.

Thanks for all the replies.
My point though is not about left foot braking per se, or anything else in particular. Its more how you can reply to the "answers" given. It seems then that there is no way to do so.

What particularly irked me about this response was that there was no reference to the U turn of the website's recommendation. The guy should have put something about disagreeing with HJ in his original reply.

Ask HJ - how to reply to answer - alan1302

Thanks for all the replies.
My point though is not about left foot braking per se, or anything else in particular. Its more how you can reply to the "answers" given. It seems then that there is no way to do so.

What particularly irked me about this response was that there was no reference to the U turn of the website's recommendation. The guy should have put something about disagreeing with HJ in his original reply.

I think it's very clear from their original reply that it was the original owners opinion that you should brake like that:

'The recommendation to left foot brake was a personal view of the website founder Peter Lorimer (Honest John) who left the company two years ago'

No need for any extra words after that...and seeing as this site gives the answers for free I'm not sure you can complain too much about it especially when you asked a quesion and they have given a clear reply.

Exactly - my point being that that was not in the original reply posted on the website; only in the (unpublished) reply to my question questioning the U turn...

Edited by gasengineer on 13/02/2022 at 10:41

Ask HJ - how to reply to answer - John F

As the owner and maintainer of automatic cars for decades, the only time I have ever found left foot braking to be best is for added control when driving the car up onto car ramps for working underneath it.

Ask HJ - how to reply to answer - Alby Back
Been done to death on here and elsewhere of course but I’m very comfortable with using either foot to brake in an automatic depending on circumstance or mood.

For me it’s at the two extremes when I left foot brake, either when “pressing on” a bit or when close manoeuvring. If I’m just bimbling about I’ll tend to just use my right foot for everything.

Manufacturers usually make the brake pedal wider in automatics which very conveniently allows easy access with either foot, which might just be a clue as to their intended use?

Not entirely sure why some get so concerned about the rights or wrongs of it to be honest. I think people should do whatever works for them, and not worry about what others choose to do.

Anyone would think driving was difficult or something. In truth it can’t be can it when you consider some of the people who have managed to pass a driving test. ;-)
Ask HJ - how to reply to answer - Xileno

From my memory of some of the heated debates from years ago, I think it was more that some insisted LFB was safer. That was the point where tutus began to get twisted.

If it works for you then why not. I tried it once and found it really hard not over-brake. With practice I might have got the hang of it but didn't really see any point.

But yes, been done to death ;-)

Ask HJ - how to reply to answer - Engineer Andy

From my memory of some of the heated debates from years ago, I think it was more that some insisted LFB was safer. That was the point where tutus began to get twisted.

If it works for you then why not. I tried it once and found it really hard not over-brake. With practice I might have got the hang of it but didn't really see any point.

But yes, been done to death ;-)

Quite right. What suits one person may not another. Plus trying to learn later in life is often more difficult. Worth at least trying to learn if you're young, at least to give that person the option of using it if the conditions and/or car warrant it.

I suppose this might make more of a difference as more and more cars are autos (especially hybrids) or dual clutch ones.

Ask HJ - how to reply to answer - sammy1

HJ if I remember correctly tried to convince the forum that LFB was quicker to react than the normal right foot off the gas and on to the brake. If I recall he was riding the brake peddle with his left foot! I cannot imagine any driving instructor teaching this and I think it is a dangerous practice in normal driving.

Ask HJ - how to reply to answer - Big John

I kind of developed a technique years ago of being able to hill start using my right foot to operate both brake and accelerator and left foot operating clutch. It's because my Dad had a car with a hopeless handbrake that you could just about get working for the MOT but it soon faded (MKIV Ford Zodiac). Not generally recommended but for someone with wide size 13 feet it was easier to do!

Wouldn't work so well with most modern cars as if you start moving with footbrake slightly operating engine ECU's cut the power!