What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
all - on road / off road? - clive jackson

Many years ago, I lived with my parents in a terraced house. In front of the houses were three parking bays. My father told me that there was a dark line in the road in front of all three parking bays and that depicted the parking bays behind the line as classed as private land. I now live in a block of flats and there was a line similar to the one at the old property in front of nine parking bays until they resurfaced the road and covered this line over. Was my father correct in saying that this line depicts private land?

all - on road / off road? - mcb100
Was that not just the edge of where the Tarmac was laid, and a sealant was put in the join between that surface and what was in the parking bays?
I’m not sure it has any legal relevance.
all - on road / off road? - catsdad

There is no standard way of marking off private land adjacent to road space. Your father’s house may have had a line as a local reference but was probably an informal thing or was a tarmac joint (as mcb said) where the council stopped the road maintenance.against the private bays. If yours are private spaces then they will probably be defined in the property deeds although being a block of flats you need to look at the freehold deed if it’s not in any paperwork you hold.

Alternatively if there is an issue the council may advise on whether these are private or not. Or have a word with the residents who have been there longest and who may know the background.

Edited by catsdad on 03/12/2021 at 15:49

all - on road / off road? - RT

Is this the same question that came up a few weeks back?

all - on road / off road? - clive jackson

Here are some photos. I'm not sure if i am allowed to post links. There is no tarmac. They are like small slabs of concrete flush with the road.

photo1

photo2

photo3

Edited by clive jackson on 03/12/2021 at 16:17

all - on road / off road? - Terry W

It would depend entirely on the deeds of the properties concerned - the local council may be able to advise.

Close to my house the parking is separated from the road by a concrete strip and brick paviours. AFAIK this is all local authority delineated from the road surface to make it clear it is reserved for parking.

all - on road / off road? - bathtub tom

If it's private land to which the public have access (like supermarket car parks) then any vehicle needs to have insurance cover.

all - on road / off road? - Xileno

Interesting old cars in the photos - MK2 Polo, MR2 and something Japanese with pop-up lights next to it.

all - on road / off road? - badbusdriver

Interesting old cars in the photos - MK2 Polo, MR2 and something Japanese with pop-up lights next to it.

Its a Honda of some sort, my guess would be an Accord Aerodeck.

all - on road / off road? - Manatee

Just looking at that I'd guess it is all adopted by the local authority, road and parking. Those flush kerbs just define the parking areas.

all - on road / off road? - RichT54

My road has 3 small residents' car parks. Each car park is divided into a number of bays (2 per house). The markings on the tarmac have long since worn away, but the title deeds has a map which shows which house owns which spaces by annotating them with the same plot numbers as the house plots. Not every house in the road has spaces in the car parks, but some of their occupants either don't know that, or don't care and park there anyway. The road itself was adopted by the council, but the car parks remain private property.

Edited by RichT54 on 03/12/2021 at 21:38