What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Octavia Estate - Main Dealer - UCB
Booked my Skoda Octavia in for a service at a main dealership recently confident it didn’t need much out of the ordinary. The service advisor informed me that it was due an air filter, brake fluid and a set of spark plugs according to the service manager. I got home and consulted my print out of history to find that spark plugs had been replaced last year by another main dealer who had maintained the car from new(I have owned it for one year). I rang the dealer to query. They stated that the work was not listed with the records of Skoda uk. Surely you would think the records would align but alas no! Glad I insisted on a complete history print out when buying the car as there is no service book with the model. How many folks are ripped off by trusting the main dealer and having unnecessary work done?. Saved myself over £100 by checking.
Skoda Octavia Estate - Main Dealer - Engineer Andy

In theory, all major makes should have a complete service record listed on the car's online account with them - as that's the whole point of them, so you don't get ripped off upon buying the car from someone elsewhere in the country.

That this wasn't the case here and you had to rely on paper copies is disappointing to say the least. If I were you, I'd email Volvo UK Head Office to look into the matter.

This tale is an example why it's always a great idea to get and keep paper copies of every piece of maintenance /parts replacements / repairs done on a car. I also strongly believe that keeping them also is a sign of being a responsible owner when it comes to selling the car, giving any prospective buyer the confidence to know a good deal about its former life.

Skoda Octavia Estate - Main Dealer - Mike H

Not sure that Volvo UK Head Office would be interested ;-)

Our Honda has a printed service book, which is updated at every service, although presumably it's also online.

Skoda Octavia Estate - Main Dealer - SLO76
Absolutely despise this new online only service history records. Its a way to push you into the hands of greedy main dealers and it means that most used cars these days have little or no service history. With any car I view either for myself or on behalf of another I insist on a full printout of the service record to scrutinise and keep I also buy an aftermarket service book or ask the dealer to supply one to record anything from then on. Cars are more complex today than ever yet service histories are being neglected or ignored by owners and buyers. Do not buy any used car without a full or very near full service record, it’s vital that complex modern cars see regular servicing.
Skoda Octavia Estate - Main Dealer - sammy1

Surprised that the service history was not accurately recorded as from my experience Skoda Dealers can hardly breath as their cars and sales policies are closely controlled by Skoda UK even down to controlling the forecourt prices. Whatever I would never trust a dealer on what my service requirements are and follow the mileage on the car. Plugs changes are few and far between these days.

Skoda Octavia Estate - Main Dealer - catsdad

Neither my previous Honda dealer nor my current VW dealer carried out the proper service every time without my having to check the official service information and ensure they added bits they were going to miss. They were still charging the standard amounts though.

In contrast our indie has serviced the Mazda twice and has never missed an item. I assume they use a trade database rather than trying to work through each manufacturer’s website. This included a spark plug change for example. They also register the work on the Mazda online service system. This is free for indies to use but they have to pay if they want to access detailed technical stuff and software.

Having said all that I doubt the trade cares what has actually been done when you trade it in as long as there is a service book with stamps and/or an online record. They will however tut at a chipped alloy. Probably Joe Public is the same. For myself I admit that the only things I check on older cars is the cambelt change and that it’s had oil changes more or less on time.

Skoda Octavia Estate - Main Dealer - Engineer Andy
Absolutely despise this new online only service history records. Its a way to push you into the hands of greedy main dealers and it means that most used cars these days have little or no service history. With any car I view either for myself or on behalf of another I insist on a full printout of the service record to scrutinise and keep I also buy an aftermarket service book or ask the dealer to supply one to record anything from then on. Cars are more complex today than ever yet service histories are being neglected or ignored by owners and buyers. Do not buy any used car without a full or very near full service record, it’s vital that complex modern cars see regular servicing.

I'm just glad mine still provides me with printouts every time it's in for some work (except its recent recall on the steering wheel badge centre section/airbag replacement) and they stamp the service book as well (not that this means much these days as they can be easily faked).

Skoda Octavia Estate - Main Dealer - mcb100
What does the service schedule say regarding spark plug changes? It should be easy enough to find online.
Pretty sure it won’t be every 12 months, so it’s possible they were due this time and the dealership last year jumped the gun. Any Škoda service department should be able to supply you with a service book.
Skoda Octavia Estate - Main Dealer - thunderbird

The 18 month old Fabia we bought 2 years ago did not come with a service book but when the car had its 2 years and 3 year services the dealer provided an updated maintenance record print off that shows all the info a service book would. The invoice like and other car we have owned shows the parts, materials and work carried out.

Having been used to a service book with all our previous cars I was a little sceptical about their initial explanation of the system but I can see now its far better than a forged record on a e-bay sourced book. All info is held centrally by Skoda.

But as always if you service out of the dealer network they would have no info.

Bottom line is never buy a car without seeing vital info beforehand, we were shown the maintenance record before we bought it (done by the selling dealer). Asking later is pointless.

What does the service schedule say regarding spark plug changes? It should be easy enough to find online.
Pretty sure it won’t be every 12 months, so it’s possible they were due this time and the dealership last year jumped the gun. Any Škoda service department should be able to supply you with a service book.

4 years/40000 miles for plugs.

Any Škoda service department should be able to supply you with a service book.

We asked, they wanted a tenner. Didn't bother since all the info is on the sheet proved after a service.

Edited by thunderbird on 11/11/2021 at 10:37

Skoda Octavia Estate - Main Dealer - Miniman777

Our Mini Cooper S plug change is every 4 years/40k miles. And the OP's point confirms dealers are deliberately lying on work not needed and/or upselling.

SLO76 made the point about online or car's electronic service history compared to paper records. I've always preferred paper records to back up the electronic version as it shows a potential new owner how well (or not) you've cared for the car.

What doesn't help is when erroneous mileage is entered on the paper records as I discovered today, when checking last month's paperwork. My dealer has added 14,000 miles to the paper invoice - and it's not the first time I have raised a mileage discrepancy on the same vehicle. Seems to be a sloppy attitude.

And they've not rang me back to discuss.....

Skoda Octavia Estate - Main Dealer - Senexdriver

Exactly the same thing happened to me in August with my Audi. I’ve always had my Audis serviced at the dealership I buy them from. This year, however, I took my A4 Avant to another dealership because my regular dealer could not supply a loan car for several weeks.

The service advisor at the new dealer ran through the work they were to carry out and it became apparent that they were going to do a big service, whereas I was expecting the smaller service as the big service had been carried out the previous year by the original dealer. When I pointed this out, there was a bit of humming and hawing and it transpired that the original dealer had omitted to enter last year’s service on the system. So much for online service history! All I can say is that it was a good job I was on the ball!

Skoda Octavia Estate - Main Dealer - Smileyman

@ Senexdriver, I wonder how the failure to upload the service impacted your vehicle warranty?!