What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Galaxy - Needing advice on buying a banger - Stephen McPhee

Hi everyone,

I currently own a 17 plate Astra with 59k miles. This time last year I was in negative equity because the mileage took the value of the car way down. The silver lining of the crazy used car market at the moment means I'm now in around £1500 equity.

Just had our third kid, and both my wife and I run our own businesses. So our thinking is this;

Buy a banger of a 7 seater, and a decent city car (Mii/citigo/up etc).

Looking for your thoughts on this - www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20210911726...s

It's nowhere near where I live so would consider getting it delivered, but what are the chances of me having to fork out thousands every year to fix it?

In my mind, we'll just run it into the ground and see where we're at when that happens. But I just feel a little nervous especially considering I can't test drive it.

TIA!

Ford Galaxy - Needing advice on buying a banger - Palcouk

If it costs you nothing in 12 months that's a bonus

I should add - it has 12 months MOT.

A friend bought one at 80k with 12m MOT and a few months in it needed the dual mass flywheel replaced which set them back a grand.

Also don't want to break down with the 3 kids in it but understand that could happen to any car!

Ford Galaxy - Needing advice on buying a banger - Xileno

Buy privately at this end of the market, this car isn't worth much once the dealer's margin has been removed.

Ford Galaxy - Needing advice on buying a banger - catsdad

The car in the link looks well presented. However it has failed it’s MOT at first test pretty much every year for the last 8 years. Of the various problems listed many suggest neglect and corrosion would especially worry me. The garage reviews are OK overall but a few of the one stars cite unresponsiveness to problems after sale. If you are buying at a distance you might be in your own in the event of a problem. Even if they do respect your legal rights, which are limited at this age, it’s your responsibility to to get it back to them for any repairs.

As has already been said it’s often better to buy privately at this level. Toyota Verso and Vauxhall Zafira are worth considering if you need the extra seats. But at this age and price anything is a gamble.

Edited by catsdad on 22/09/2021 at 15:07

Super helpful, thank you! Think I'll avoid it :)

There are a few in my area on Facebook/gumtree so will have a look around.

Thanks!

Ford Galaxy - Needing advice on buying a banger - badbusdriver

No, on so many levels!.

Ford Galaxy - Needing advice on buying a banger - badbusdriver

Don't understand the logic of buying a banger as the car which, presumably, you will be using to go on family holidays?.

Work out what funds you have to work with in total. If, for example, it was £10k, I'd be looking at a smaller runaround at around £3k and the rest on something younger, more able and safer to be going further afield with.

No way I'd be buying a £1500 car from a distance, nor would I be buying a 150k diesel. That 1.9 VAG lump is legendary in terms of its reliability, but that is going to depend on how well it has been looked after.

Ford Galaxy - Needing advice on buying a banger - SLO76
I’d be more inclined to buy a good family car and a cheap runabout. I wouldn’t want my family in a cheap 7str that could and almost certainly will fail and leave them stranded on or at the side of the road one day. Buy the best you can afford for the sake of safety. The cheap 2nd car is I assume a commuter for work and thus a breakdown is less of a concern.