What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Cars with the most headroom - Yaris8472

I'm a tall guy with a disproportionately long back. In my wonderful Yaris, with the seat as low as it will go, my head brushes the ceiling and my eyes are level with the (folded up) sun visor.

I'm looking to trade up now but I don't know what to look at - which cars have the most headroom? Convertibles are out of the question as my head will undoubtedly poke above the windscreen, which can't be safe.

Any advice, please?

Cars with the most headroom - daveyK_UK
A van based MPV such as a Vauxhall Combo Life, Citroen Berlingo, etc will offer the most headroom.

When I look at a Citroen Berlingo, I think of taxis and families. People that want lots of storage space - all kinds of nooks and crannies for the oddest things. I'd much rather have a car that's at least a little fun to drive, something for Scottish A roads - a car that still looks like a car, not a van.

I should have been more specific, I think.

Cars with the most headroom - Big John

Many VAG cars are good for taller drivers - I think it's because back in the day one of the directors was very tall as well.

I have a Skoda Superb that is heaven for tall people. As well as loads of headroom they also have larger front doors so the B pillar is further back.

My 6ft5" son has a mkIII Skoda Octavia that he finds good for room.

I think even smaller cars from the group can be pretty good especially three door versions.

VAG covers VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda manufacturers

Cars with the most headroom - Metropolis.

And Lambourghinis!

Cars with the most headroom - badbusdriver

When I look at a Citroen Berlingo, I think of taxis and families. People that want lots of storage space - all kinds of nooks and crannies for the oddest things. I'd much rather have a car that's at least a little fun to drive, something for Scottish A roads

We used to have one of these van based MPV's, a Peugeot Partner Combi back in 2003. Based on the same platform and running gear of, amongst others, the Peugeot 306. The 306 is well known as being one of the best handling FWD cars there has ever been, and in the Partner, you could tell. Sure, the centre of gravity was a little higher through the taller body, but I'd be willing to bet it was more fun to hustle down twisty country (Aberdeenshire) roads than a Yaris.

a car that still looks like a car, not a van.

The fact that it looked like a van rather than a car just added to the fun when hustling a supposedly sporty handling car.

I have not driven the current version, but I have read that the ride and handling are very good. So maybe the OP should consider that well worn saying, "don't judge a book by its cover". After all, the Yaris is a car who's handling has only ever been described as 'safe', and is (obviously excluding the current version, especially the GR) generally considered to be an old folks car.

Cars with the most headroom - Bromptonaut

The post 2008 Berlingo is a different animal to the original based on a Pug306/Cit ZX floorpan and running gear with a 405's rear suspension. It's much bigger and, ironically, lacks some of the former's ingenuity with stowage cubbies etc.

It's still absolutely superb at what it does. Rides well, comfortable, plenty of poke - at least with the more powerful engine options - and swallows vast loads. It's not got the handling panache of the original though it's still perfectly OK on curvy roads.

Thanks, I shall certainly look at the Skoda Octavia. I know it's favoured on other social media sites and the VRS has some clout.

VAG also includes the Bugatti marque, but I think they're a little out of my price range.

Cars with the most headroom - alan1302

Thanks, I shall certainly look at the Skoda Octavia. I know it's favoured on other social media sites and the VRS has some clout.

VAG also includes the Bugatti marque, but I think they're a little out of my price range.

They run Lamborghini as well.

Cars with the most headroom - John F

Convertibles are out of the question as my head will undoubtedly poke above the windscreen, which can't be safe.

Not necessarily. My TR7 DHC seats are very close to the floor, as are the seats in many convertibles.

Cars with the most headroom - badbusdriver

Many VAG cars are good for taller drivers - I think it's because back in the day one of the directors was very tall as well.

Yes, ex VAG supremo Ferdinand Piech was I think about 6'7" and he wouldn't sign off on the new car unless he could comfortably drive it.

I think even smaller cars from the group can be pretty good especially three door versions.

My pal, 6'4" (I think), had a VW Lupo for many years!.

The problem though, which may mean the OP has to drive something he doesn't fancy in order to get comfortable, is the 'disproportionately long back'. Which isn't the same as just being tall, or having really long legs.

Japanese cars (certainly smaller ones) can be guilty of not allowing the seat to slide back far enough for those with long legs to get comfy, but the OP doesn't mention this, only the headroom. The Yaris is quite a tall car for its class (the previous shape is 75mm taller than a current Polo), but I'm not sure how low the seat goes relative to the Polo.

Japanese cars (certainly smaller ones) can be guilty of not allowing the seat to slide back far enough for those with long legs to get comfy, but the OP doesn't mention this, only the headroom. The Yaris is quite a tall car for its class (the previous shape is 75mm taller than a current Polo), but I'm not sure how low the seat goes relative to the Polo.

This is the head of the nail, so to speak. I don't have especially long legs - I don't have the seat as far back as it will go.

I shall certainly look at VAG cars, including the Octavia.

Cars with the most headroom - Big John

I don't know what age/budget you are aiming but I test drove the Skoda Kamiq SUV and was impressed with it's headroom

Cars with the most headroom - alan1302

I don't know what age/budget you are aiming but I test drove the Skoda Kamiq SUV and was impressed with it's headroom

Think the op want's a 'cool' car though.