What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Price of Used Cars - Paul_1

Is it just me or has the price of new cars shot up over the last few years?

I usually do a trade in +£10k on my car every few years. But this time round 10k isn't going to move up the years like it used to.

It's going to be at least +13/14k. Seems like a very steep price hike.

Must be a shortage of cars cause of covid??

Price of Used Cars - sammy1

New car prices have got silly in the last 12 months. Some prices seem to have gone up a good 20% and if you add extras to your basic model the same. My advice would be to leave them in the showroom!

Price of Used Cars - FP

Discussed at least a couple of times fairly recently:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/156588/any---used-...r

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/156130/used-car-pr...s

(I'm not saying there's no room for further discussion.)

Price of Used Cars - FoxyJukebox
Hold on to what you’ve got . Give it a good full service ,a wax and four new tyres-then start saving for a new one in 2023?
Price of Used Cars - Alby Back
I'm becoming inclined to hang on to the cars we already have for as long as possible now, even if if it means a bit of ( even fairly major if required ) fixing up in due course. I think I want to keep an eye on the progress and development of non ICE cars and the infrastructure to support them over the next few years.

I couldn't yet anyway, easily live with the range and loadspace limitations of any of the current models, or the charging times they still require, but it seems that those factors are steadily being overcome, and it may well be that in time, I will be able to find a car that fits my needs, without it using fossil fuel.

The current mix of vehicles in our household suits our needs very well for now and indeed for the foreseeable future, so I'm just in no rush to spend big bucks on something new or newer that might become a bit of a dinosaur more quickly than than any of us could imagine.