What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2008 vauxhall agila - selling and trade in schemes - gemmareid01
I bought a 58 plate agila 2 years ago in cash and i’m looking to get a new car in march 2022. i’ve had to get a new windscreen, new front bumper, new brakes, suspension fixed, new tyres and other things over the last 2 years.

It was my first car so i need advice about which option would get me the most deposit towards a new car. I’m aware it’s not worth much at all (and i definitely overpaid for it when i bought it but first car so lesson learned) but i’m wondering if i could sell it or if there’s a trade in scheme that would get me more for it.

i’ve never sold a car before so help please haha
2008 vauxhall agila - selling and trade in schemes - Bromptonaut

Hi Gemma, welcome to the forum.

Have you checked what outfits like We Buy Any Car will give you for your Agila?

They may not be the best offer in town but it's a very easy process to get a valuation and at least gives you a start point. My son sold a 2009 107 that he'd had since 2015 to them for £300. It was quite neglected, he spent over a year delivering Pizzas in it, and the garage he was buying his new car from wouldn't touch it.

2008 vauxhall agila - selling and trade in schemes - badbusdriver

How much it is worth can and will vary a lot depending on condition, mileage length of MOT etc. But the Agila, and its sister car the Suzuki Splash, actually hold their value pretty well. So don't make assumptions on your one's value without actually looking into it.

FYI, on Autotrader, prices for 2008/2009 Agila's range from £1200 to £3995.

2008 vauxhall agila - selling and trade in schemes - gemmareid01
I did have a look with them and got told around £700. it’s not an awful figure to be fair and the mileage on my agila isn’t too high (around 73k currently) she’s just been subject to a lot of wear and tear haha
2008 vauxhall agila - selling and trade in schemes - SLO76
A 2008 Agila could be worth £200 or £1200 as a trade in plus many manufacturers are offering scrappage deals and top-ups to sweeten part exchange deals. Vauxhall for example are giving £1,000 on top of any agreed valuation if you upgrade to a new Corsa SRi. It’s all down to how much money you’re planning on spending really. If you’re buying a new car at £20,000 you’ll get a lot more than you would against a used car at £5,000.

Now I understand the desire to buy a “new” car but do you really want to commit to the never-ending PCP or contract lease life that most new cars are financed via? A better way over the long term in my opinion is to buy a good used car using a low rate bank loan at 3% APR or less if you borrow £7,500 or more. This allows you to buy with no deposit and it gives greater flexibility. Basically if you want to sell it you can while you’re stuck with it if you’ve taken a PCP or lease. It’s also cheaper in the long term.

£10,000 buys a good 2/3yr old supermini like a Toyota Yaris, Suzuki Swift or Mazda 2, all the f which are robust, cheap to run and decent to drive. I’d point you in this direction over tying yourself to a new car PCP or lease.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106103684865

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202103190319051

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104302017697

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105263093610

Edited by SLO76 on 22/06/2021 at 19:58

2008 vauxhall agila - selling and trade in schemes - Bromptonaut

The key number is 'cost to change'; the cash you need to put in to complete the deal based on negotiated price of new car less negotiated trade in.

Some garages will 'flatter' you by inflating the P/Ex price and taking back either on the cost of the new car, on finance or be inveigling you into high profit stuff like paint upholstery treatments, Gap Insurance or warranties of one sort or another.

2008 vauxhall agila - selling and trade in schemes - Oli rag

Good advice allround here. The cost to change is the key thing here as mentioned.