What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
AEC dump trucks earning their keep - Xileno

Some years ago (2009) there was a thread on here about the AEC's that built the M25 and a link to some photos: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=73899

Well I found an interesting video, presumably of the same AEC's, as they were moved from one site to another. This is them working hard on the Chelmsford bypass in 1986:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-viFpByHFHU

A few thoughts went through my mind:

Those AECs were built in the 60s so about twenty years old at the time. I wonder if today's trucks would still be working at aged 20. Must have been hard on the drivers, no creature comforts such as aircon...

Also made me think where did our truck industry go?

Edited by Xileno on 09/06/2021 at 20:33

AEC dump trucks earning their keep - _

Our truck industry went the same way as the rest of our industry.

AEC dump trucks earning their keep - expat

Trucks have moved on a bit in the last 50 years:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad1ZA6mrWgE

The latest mine dump trucks are autonomous driving.

AEC dump trucks earning their keep - John F

These haven't progressed much. They were using 200 tonners in the open cast copper mine where I worked 48yrs ago. But try overtaking one of these........

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVyAbmSCO6g

AEC dump trucks earning their keep - alan1302

These haven't progressed much. They were using 200 tonners in the open cast copper mine where I worked 48yrs ago. But try overtaking one of these........

If you don't class automonous driving as much progress what would you need it to be?

AEC dump trucks earning their keep - Engineer Andy

Either go under (Lambos or Lotus's only) or over (Knight Industries only)... :-)

AEC dump trucks earning their keep - Brit_in_Germany

Also made me think where did our truck industry go?

Leyland?