What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Finally got a long drive in the Superb iV - skidpan

More to report after Nicola allowed us to cross the border.

We did 1022 miles in the week so a perfectly normal holiday. Filled the tank and charged before departing. Set the car in hybrid mode with the "Auto" box ticked (the car decides the best use of the available charge). Surprised me when the battery lasted just over 300 miles before dropping to zero and this was cruising with the ACC set at 72 mph for the whole 300 miles. We covered the 430 mile journey to the lodge in just under 7 hours driving time (both ways), pretty good average of 62 mph.

Got there perfectly relaxed, just like we did in the 1.4 TSi.

We were aware of several "free" charge points in the area and on day 2 went for a coffee and walk round whilst it charged a bit. Discovered that whilst it is theoretically free there is a £20 a year registration fee, no way we would get our monies worth so abandoned idea of charging. The company that runs the points is changing the rules from July and changing the £20 a year fee to a once only registration but no indication what this will cost, might be better, might not, we will see.

Did local trips all week, between 4 and 25 miles each time so no long sight seeing outings this time, too wet for that, and refuelled on the Thursday for returning Saturday. Calculated the mpg for the trip (including the cost of electric for the pre-trip charge) and Mr Libre Office (I don't pay for software if I can avoid it) said 55.7 mpg (the dash said 55.4 mpg so pretty close). Very happy with that considering the fact that we could not easily charge the car. Looking at the eco display when we got home showed the car had run 14% of the 430 mile return trip on battery, not bad when we started off with zero miles, shows it recoups a fair bit of power.

Comparing that figure to the mpg we got from the 1.4 TSi manual the first time we did the trip is a good comparison. Both cars had covered just over 2000 miles on departure so both still not bedded in really. The 1.4 TSi managed 47 mpg for the week which I was very happy with. To get over 55 mpg from a heavier car with an auto box with zero opportunity to charge is way better than I expected. Last year (3.5 years old by then) on the same trip the 1.4 TSi did 53 mpg for the week so lets hope that the iV loosens up with the miles like that did.

Should add that the average "mpg" so far (including the cost of electricity used) is 56 mpg. By this mileage the 1.4 TSi had averaged about 44 mpg, like I said above very happy so far.

We are now on the Octopus Go tariff which gives us 4hours "cheap" electricity every night (5 pence a kWh). It a good tariff at peak rate as well, less than the rate we had been paying EDF for 18 months which at the time was the best out there. Charging at that rate should lower costs even further.

Will it be cheaper to run over 4 years than the 1.4 TSi, doubt it but its a better drive and we like it. The price we bought it for softens the blow of course, probably be less enthusiastic if we had paid £8500 more. Compared to the purchase price and running costs of the V60 T4 we were considering its certainly a good buy.

Finally got a long drive in the Superb iV - Metropolis.
That is very impressive mpg for the size of vehicle, is it still DSG with the hybrid?
Finally got a long drive in the Superb iV - SLO76
Nice big cars, I’ve always liked the Superb. It would take me a while to cover the extra cost over my old Toyota though with that 13mg fuel saving and my 6k annual mileage at just over £200 p/a. I do quite fancy a 1.4 TSi estate when the old Toyota finally starts giving grief. I think they’re excellent used buys.

Edited by SLO76 on 24/05/2021 at 19:14

Finally got a long drive in the Superb iV - lucklesspedestrian

We are now on the Octopus Go tariff which gives us 4hours "cheap" electricity every night (5 pence a kWh). It a good tariff at peak rate as well, less than the rate we had been paying EDF for 18 months which at the time was the best out there. Charging at that rate should lower costs even further.

Good power supplier Octopus, decent rates and excellent customer service.

Finally got a long drive in the Superb iV - craig-pd130

Those are good economy figures. When we used to use the 225 for holidays, I never used to bother charging either, apart from at one house which had a good external 13A supply.

Finally got a long drive in the Superb iV - Wee Willie Winkie

I hope you used a referral link to join Octopus and are enjoying your £50 credit.

Small point on the chargers North of the border. Yes, you can pay £20 to get an RFID card that links to your account to start a charge. You can also use an app, for which there is no charge. Unfortunately though, reception can be patchy at some of the charge points, hindering access. Therefore, the RFID card is a better bet.

is it still DSG with the hybrid?

Yes its a DSG but its a unique 6 speed box they use in the PHEV. No idea what the differences are other than an extra clutch (that makes 3) that disconnects the electric motor and ICE when running in EV mode.

I am not actually aware of any current full hybrids (such as Toyota make) or plug in hybrids that use a manual box. Some of the fashionable "mild" hybrids are manuals but since they cannot actually drive in electric mode for even a metre they are a pointless beast IMHO.

I never used to bother charging either, apart from at one house which had a good external 13A supply

Obviously we have 13 amp sockets at the lodge but parking is about 20 metres away in September, probably 30 meters in May. The instructions with the Skoda supplied cable clearly say no extensions to be used since this does not allow the temperature monitoring at the 13 amp supply to take place and there can be a risk of overheating. Some lodges have the ability to park right up to the front door, if only.

I hope you used a referral link to join Octopus and are enjoying your £50 credit.

Now we are with Octopus we have a referral link that we can use for our benefit and the benefit of others in the future. We do not know of a single soul that actually uses Octopus so no link was available to us. Octopus credited our account with £25 when we went live as a thank you, guess that mut be partly in lieu of not having a link.

Small point on the chargers North of the border. Yes, you can pay £20 to get an RFID card that links to your account to start a charge. You can also use an app, for which there is no charge. Unfortunately though, reception can be patchy at some of the charge points, hindering access. Therefore, the RFID card is a better bet.

Checked on the website and whilst you can indeed use a phone app to start charging instead of the card you still need to join and pay your £20 to make the app live thus no benefit. Out in the sticks there is no mobile internet so in reality the app is pretty useless, there is certainly none at the one charge point we went to look at.

The highest rate the the Superb iV can charge at is 3 kW. Since the max. time we would spend at a cafe or shopping would be a bout an hour this would in truth be of very little benefit. If there was a charge point/points on site where our lodge is situated and we could get access to them for 4 hours that would potentially be of benefit. But to recoup the £20 fee we would need to carry out approx. 7 no. full 13kWh charges over the 2 weeks we visit and if several other visitors had EV's the opportunity to do that may be limited.

Pretty sure the situation will improve, as I say the £20 annual goes in July so lets see how much registration is going to cost us.

Edited by skidpan on 25/05/2021 at 15:59

Finally got a long drive in the Superb iV - Metropolis.
Super interesting, I guess we could call it a TSG? I think Hyundai uses a dual clutch gearbox on the Ioniq, possibly? There are also aftermarket full electric conversion cars like the Fiat 500 Hubnut road tested which had an electric motor paired to the original manual gearbox which I thought was a very interesting concept. youtu.be/EHnX0fObZmk

Just been on real MPG to insert our current figures but there is no iV anywhere on the list and no way (as far as I can see) to add a version.

Any ideas?

Finally got a long drive in the Superb iV - Xileno

Just been on real MPG to insert our current figures but there is no iV anywhere on the list and no way (as far as I can see) to add a version.

Any ideas?

Probably best you send a quick email to the helpful IT chap: kalpesh@honestjohn.co.uk with the exact details of your car you need to be displayed.

If it's not his area then I'm sure he can pass it on to someone in the HJ organisation who can help. Unfortunately there's nothing as moderators we can do, we only have access to the Backroom forums and nothing else.

Ta, will try that.

Finally got a long drive in the Superb iV - veloceman
I have looked a few times, looks look new models aren’t currently being added.

" you still need to join and pay your £20 "

I did not know this...

Re the referral, I'm sure I replied to a previous thread of yours with my code. Maybe I didn't.... Nah matter, too late now!

Re the referral, I'm sure I replied to a previous thread of yours with my code. Maybe I didn't.... Nah matter, too late now!

Someone on another Forum offered me their code but I never heard from them when I sent them a private message. Pretty sure that was the only offer.

Finally got a long drive in the Superb iV - bazza

Very interesting that the hybrid pulled back 14% charge from otherwise wasted energy on your long run back home. It sort of dismisses the theory that hybrids are ineffective on long runs, and your overall consumption figures show a significant benefit. I know there's the payback equation etc etc but nevertheless, impressive.

Finally got a long drive in the Superb iV - brum

Very interesting that the hybrid pulled back 14% charge from otherwise wasted energy on your long run back home. It sort of dismisses the theory that hybrids are ineffective on long runs, and your overall consumption figures show a significant benefit. I know there's the payback equation etc etc but nevertheless, impressive.

Don't get too excited, 14% charge equates to under 4 miles range on a Superb IV or about 50p worth of petrol.

Don't get too excited, 14% charge equates to under 4 miles range on a Superb IV or about 50p worth of petrol.

Not 14% charge, 14% of the 430 miles was done on battery with zero miles when I set off. That is 60 miles, over a gallon.

Regarding the referral codes, it really is worth it. I've had three successful referrals, with another on the way and another potential if the guy I was talking to at a Tesco podpoint signs up . That's £250, which should give me around 13,000 miles worth of free electricity.