What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Your views please - Rover 75 CDI - Steveieb
Remember ordering these for the office in the eighties and they never really hit the spot with me.
Then the Rover bankruptcy and lots of bad publicity.
But seeing one today in a lovely dark blue driven by a retired gentleman I'm wondering whether I would like one
It must be a diesel because of the bad reputation of both the petrols.
But I should like your views please .
Your views please - Rover 75 CDI - Xileno

I think you meant in the nineties but either way I never liked the styling or the old image. The BMW diesel was indeed probably the best engine. Early models were better, at some point Rover started to delete anything that they thought buyers wouldn't notice to keep costs down. I'm not sure when that happened.

Your views please - Rover 75 CDI - Alby Back
Never had a 75, but I did have an 800. It was quite nice when it was going, or when bits weren't falling off it. Which wasn't often enough to remember it with any fondness.

Years before, I had an SD1 3.5 Vitesse, which was similarly challenged in terms of reliability, but on the days it behaved itself, it was a very pleasing thing.

The 75 felt like it was targeted at the sort of person who thought Marks and Spencer stocked acceptable fashion.

;-)
Your views please - Rover 75 CDI - badbusdriver

Remember ordering these for the office in the eighties and they never really hit the spot with me.
Then the Rover bankruptcy and lots of bad publicity.
But seeing one today in a lovely dark blue driven by a retired gentleman I'm wondering whether I would like one
It must be a diesel because of the bad reputation of both the petrols.

But I should like your views please .

First off, including the very rare V8 (Rover badged version of the MG ZT V8), there were 5 petrol options on the 75 (not necessarily at the same time though).

N/A 1.8, 118bhp (I think this was auto only, but not sure)

1.8t, 150bhp

2.0 V6, 150bhp

2.5 V6, 177bhp

4.6 V8, 260bhp

As for reliability, depends on who you ask. Looking at a question posed (some years ago granted) on a 75/ZT forum from someone who, after buying a KV6 engined 75, was told that they are prone to water pump and head gasket failures. According to the answers from forum members, there are two weak points on the KV6. The VIS (variable intake manifold system) motor failure (not expensive to fix), and the thermostat housing. Apparently belt replacement is a big job, but apart from that, according to chaps who should know, they are fine reliability wise. More than one forum member stated categorically that the KV6 is not prone to water pump or head gasket failure!.

But I really like them too!.

Your views please - Rover 75 CDI - pd

I've always had a soft spot for the 75 and ZT and had a few of each.

The issue with them now is they are all old. The youngest are 17 years old and many nearing 20 with all the issues a 17-20 year old car brings.

Your views please - Rover 75 CDI - _

Old roverboy had a few 75's and a couple of ZT's

Best were the 2.5 v6

I know where there is a nearly "new" (as in not much used) 20.000 mile auto 2004 pre facelift car that has been serviced regardless of cost since new, and it is (swear filter) beautiful!

It'll be mine one day...

That beautiful deep blue metallic with impeccable painwork and drives like the ones I had.

Must go and negotiate again.

Your views please - Rover 75 CDI - mcb100
No idea if it’s still there or not, but I remember going to a Nissan (formerly Rover) dealership a few years ago that had a delivery mileage 75 parked in the yard.
The story was that the car had been bought on finance, the dealer was paid for the car, but it was never collected.
Every six months it was started and run around the block, and it was serviced annually despite covering 5 miles per year.
Last I heard, they had to make all reasonable attempts to find the owner, or estate of the owner, and if that was unsuccessful then it was theirs.
Your views please - Rover 75 CDI - barney100

F.I.L always had Rovers from the 6o's 'til he gave up driving about 2012. Remember the 75 he had and can't really remember any catastrophic problems apart from a starter motor going but there again he changed them regularly.

Your views please - Rover 75 CDI - nellyjak

I was working for an MG/Rover dealer at the time the 75 came out....lovely car..drove well and seemed pretty well screwed together.

TBH I don't recall any major problems with them..and we sold quite a few...(though it is nearly 20 years ago now)

The 2.5 V6 was the best IMO and I hear that there is quite a good "fan" base for these now as a "classic".

The dark blue and the wine/burgundy metallic seemed to be the most wanted colours IIRC

Your views please - Rover 75 CDI - John F

I remember them - I thought the 75 referred to the average age of owners, although I was invited to sample one at the local Rover dealer. I was particularly struck by the styling feature of what appeared to be a large lidded Chinese wok on the rear of the boot lid containing the number plate, a peculiarity which continues on the back of a Rolls Royce Wraith. Must be an English thing.....?

Your views please - Rover 75 CDI - lucklesspedestrian

There are a series of good features on the Rover 75 on the YouTube Hubnut page (just search on YT) Ian Seabrook bought and ran a Diesel 75 for a while and his reports are as always informative and interesting (if you like that sort of thing!)

Your views please - Rover 75 CDI - Steveieb

Thanks everyone.

Remember ordering these for the office and commissioning Rover to build a stretched version after complaints from officials who were chauffeured about lack of legroom.

Then had one delivered to Singapore which our office was unable to register as it had been sent out without a VIN plate.

Remember driving the CDI and noticing a lack of power compared with my A 4 Tdi 130 but they certainly are more comfortable.

As commented they are old cars now and getting a well maintained one is a big problem.

Let us know how you get on ORB !

Your views please - Rover 75 CDI - SLO76
Rather fond of the Rover 75 too. I wouldn’t rule out the K series petrols though despite the well documented head gasket issues on the 4cyl cars. If repaired properly using the upgraded Land Rover gasket kit they’re perfectly robust engines. The KV6 is particularly smooth and suits the car well but remember it has three timing belts which are usually neglected. It’s a costly job to do and fewwill fork out for it on such a low value car. Find a nice one and spend the money on it and it’ll make a comfortable modern retro classic. The best buys are usually the 1800’s though which are often found in the hands of affluent pensioners. Get a good one, fit the upgraded head gasket and it’ll be a very pleasant thing indeed. I’d also stick to pre facelift BMW era examples as they were far better built. The diesels are more complex and often neglected plus the rattly derv motor doesn’t suit the car in my opinion. It’s more robust than equivalent BMW’s though as it missed out on the daft plastic swirl flaps the German car was so fond of eating.

Edited by SLO76 on 05/05/2021 at 23:37

I wouldn’t rule out the K series petrols though despite the well documented head gasket issues on the 4cyl cars. If repaired properly using the upgraded Land Rover gasket kit they’re perfectly robust engines.

The engine is the heart of the car and I wouldn't touch even a repaired K series engine with a bargepole. The wandering head gasket was only one aspect of the poor design of this national embarrassment of an engine.

I searched a well known website for Rover 75 and found only 24 for sale. Many are obviously cosseted low milers; only eleven had achieved over 100,000 miles. I then searched for pre-2003 VW Passats (similar size and price at the time) and found 25 for sale of similar age. Only six have a mileage less than 80,000, most are well into the six figures.

Your views please - Rover 75 CDI - 72 dudes

The engine is the heart of the car and I wouldn't touch even a repaired K series engine with a bargepole. The wandering head gasket was only one aspect of the poor design of this national embarrassment of an engine.

Agree with you John F.

I went to the local launch of the 75 in 1999 (ran by Kerridges of Needham Market for ORB's interest).

I drove all the petrol engined versions. The 1.8 was horrible, under geared, slow and noisy.

The 2.0 V6 was the one I was interested in, smooth as silk and powerful enough, but economy was hopeless, a gentle trip to the coast on A and B roads gave me 30.1 MPG.

The 2.5 was fairly brisk although low down torque was poor, economy worse still.

Some years later I had a new post facelift diesel 130, which was pleasant enough.

I'm not sure I'd want to buy an old one though.

Your views please - Rover 75 CDI - Metropolis.

30mpg is hopeless? Blimey, high standards.

Your views please - Rover 75 CDI - 72 dudes

It was compared to what I was driving at the time, a VW Passat 1.8T. I would have quite liked the 75 V6 but I was doing 20-22k miles per year at the time.

I went for an Audi A6 with the same 1.8T engine. Both would have returned high 30's on that same run, both averaged over 35 in the 5 years I had them.

As SLO said, the original diesel with 114 BHP was very sedate. The 130 version was surprisingly fleet of foot (tyre?).

It was compared to what I was driving at the time, a VW Passat 1.8T. I would have quite liked the 75 V6 but I was doing 20-22k miles per year at the time.

I was getting around 30mpg from my 1998 Audi A6 2.8 SE tiptronic, a far superior car in almost every respect, and not much new price difference from a top of the range V6 Rover 75. I bought mine in 2003 at 77,000 miles and it gave me ten years and nearly 60,000 miles of trouble free motoring till 2014 when I eventually found the 'forever' car I was looking for (A8) for the last few years of work and then retirement. I very much doubt if a used Rover V6 would have been as reliable and durable.

The only issues I’ve ever had with K series motors related to head gasket failure, nothing else really to be overly worried about if you buy one that’s been properly rectified or do it yourself. The 1800 petrol is lacking in go but my point was that the bulk of low mileage examples are usually the smaller petrols. The diesels were slow and most have been ruined and neglected as cheap runabouts. The best would be a nice pre facelift 2.5 V6 estate with leather and auto but a good low mileage car with three belts changed wouldn’t be cheap as they’ve developed a bit of a following as the last real Rover.

I miss Rover, I liked the old English charm. They’ve built many cars over the years that I’ve been rather fond of.

Rover 213S - Classy, well made little saloon with bombproof Honda engine and gearbox. Very comfortable seats and far more refined than rivals of the time especially in post facelift form. Only rust blighted them. I had a waiting list for these back in the 90’s.

Rover 416 GTi - Well made and classy with leather and wood combined with 128bhp Honda twin cam motor. These were genuinely nice little executive saloons.

Rover 216 GTi Twin cam - As above minus the leather and with a dash more sporty feel. A better hot hatch than anything Ford, Vauxhall or VW were doing at the time.

Rover 820Si - Had a ropey rep thanks to early quality control issues but later examples, especially post facelift were actually pretty robust. Very comfy and spacious.

Rover Metro K series post 1990 - Great fun to drive and yet they rode well plus had excellent seats. Rust again was the killer but they were vastly superior to rivals from Ford or Vauxhall.

Rover 600 - Basically a Honda Accord but much nicer to look at and sit in. All were good and the 620ti was a real wolf in sheep’s clothing. A good 620SLi would be my pick though. If only the Honda link had remained and a cross between the 75 and the next gen Accord had been built.

Edited by SLO76 on 06/05/2021 at 21:47

I miss Rover, I liked the old English charm. They’ve built many cars over the years that I’ve been rather fond of.

I pre-date you a bit, with fond memories of my father's old 105S, often referred to as the poor man's Bentley. On his retirement he treated himself to a new 2000TC, which I also remember as a better drive than the sporty P4. But the trouble with Rover was that they revolutionised their cars, rather than evolving them like, say, BMW did, with each new model rather like, but a significant improvement upon, the last one. I got the impression that instead of ironing out the bad things and improving the good ones, Rover inadvertently introduced a whole new set of bad things. And sadly, although the interiors were still a nice place to be, the engineering just wasn't up to continental standards - especially their failure to develop a successful small six cylinder engine like the one Triumph used in the Vitesse or the 2000, other favourites of that era.

Your views please - Rover 75 CDI - Sprice

Rover 416 GTi - Well made and classy with leather and wood combined with 128bhp Honda twin cam motor. These were genuinely nice little executive saloons.

Yeah, always liked the R8 Rover and these especially. Nearly bought a H-plate 416 GTi in about 1996, it was in that vivid green over grey, with grey leather. At the time I had a G-plate Civic with the same engine, wish I kept that too!

Hubnut just reviewed a v6 MG version, haven't watched it myself but usually enjoy his reviews. He did own a diesel version recently which he also reviewed. I think the KV6 is actually a decent unit that suits the car better, only reason to go for the diesel is fuel economy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8kR26daW4w

Your views please - Rover 75 CDI - Xileno

Makes one think if Land Rover managed to sort out the K series head gasket issue so quickly, why didn't Rover do it? I don't believe it was through lack of engineering competence but probably the bean counters not wanting to spend any extra money. I've never seen the upgraded head gasket but I doubt it's too expensive to manufacture.

Makes one think if Land Rover managed to sort out the K series head gasket issue so quickly, why didn't Rover do it? I don't believe it was through lack of engineering competence but probably the bean counters not wanting to spend any extra money. I've never seen the upgraded head gasket but I doubt it's too expensive to manufacture.

Absolutely agree but it’s not unusual with BL/Rover. They have a history of refusing to rectify problems once discovered. The Mk I Discovery was selling so well that they wouldn’t stop production to sort gearbox and quality control issues for example. They always did think short term which was a major failing. The K series head gasket issue wasn’t immediately obvious as smaller sub 1400 versions didn’t really suffer from it until post 60k mileages but the later enlarged 1600 and 1800 versions were very prone to it, often from as little as 30,000 miles. It should’ve been sorted but rather than spending the money they carried on churning the things out and later versions were actually worse.

"They have a history of refusing to rectify problems once discovered"

Not always true, they got really hung up on certain parts, like one of the autobox cooler pipes on the Discovery 2 that had a tendency to pop off resulting in sudden loss of fluid, they redesigned that 8 times in a 5 year production run! They did eventually solve it, credit where it's due lol. I mention Discovery 2 because it's mechanically really not that different from discovery 1 and the chassis was based off of the 1970 Range Rover, so alot of BL parts on them. With Land Rovers up until 2001 (P38 i am ignoring you and Freelander yes ok it was quite revolutionary) the development was mostly evolutionary. The Rover v8 all the way to 2004, salisbury axles, tdi's thrown into everything, parts sharing galore, I am not sure if this was caution, the 'old set' at Land Rover resisting change, or plain old lack of funds. I think a combination, they were making continual improvements to the Range Rover Classic for example, not just cosmetic but drive train and other reliability aspects. But then they did let the tooling wear out on the rover v8 production line, which ruined the engine's reputation in later years as they failed to invest in it to ensure longevity in the face of higher operating temps for emissions and poor production tolerances. Then after that they went full fashionista instead of setting the trend themselves, white goods cars now. Discovery 3 is ridiculously capable, but ridiculously complex too. A company at war with itself and i think the guys in wellington boots lost the war.

“ Discovery 3 is ridiculously capable, but ridiculously complex too. A company at war with itself and i think the guys in wellington boots lost the war.”

Agreed. I miss the old Defender, particularly pre Ford Transit timing chain eating versions. The old TDI 200 Perkins diesels were pretty hardy things.
Xileno when the Chinese bought the K series they got Ricardo Plc to completely rework it apparently. Fitted the 4 cylinder and the v6 to the Roewe 750 (real name) en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roewe_750

The engine development: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAIC_Kavachi_engine

Quote: UK engineering firm Ricardo plc were tasked with remedying the well known faults of the K series by SAIC Motor for its introduction into the Chinese marketplace. With a redesigned head, improved waterways, stiffened block as well as changing the manufacturing process and quality of material, the Kavachi is seen as the pinnacle of K-series development. As of 2015, with more than half a decade in the market, there have been no reported issues of head gasket failure on cars using the Kavachi engine.

British engineering solved it, rather like Coscast with the post-Rover Rover v8 blocks (not a typo) which are so much better than the prior in-house Rover made blocks and highly sought after. We just needed money and a management team focused on the right things. The engineering talent was always available.