Iveco/Renault/Ford - Torn between buying a used or new van. - mikeandvan

Hi all, haven't been on this forum for a while, but always had some great responses, hope you can help me out again.

I am a removal man badly in need of another luton van so i can expand a bit. Buying new is gonna relieve me of all my savings, and I don't really do high miles, but I dread buying used, even though I have always done so. I know a good mechanic who can accompany me to any viewings, but obviously they can't guarantee anything. Am I being too careful here? I really don;t want to drop £30K at the minute, but every time I look at used vans and then call the dealer they always put me off, they seem to have a knack of talking a non stop stream of b******s. Every time I look at a van I think how did the dealer acquire it? Why did the original owner sell it? I've seen a 2018 plate Renault Master with less than 40K at £18K with no vat, he's got two of them, one still with 1 year main dealership warranty, but I still think there must be some catch, then I look at sellers feedback and it always has some bad or some obviously fake! A new van would be nice in terms of comfort and pleasure of ownership, but a decent used model at say £15K with or without VAT could suffice. Its just that £15- £18K is still alot of money with virtually no guaratees. I should note that credit is not possible for me, so its strictly cash only.

Edited by mikeandvan on 06/04/2021 at 23:20

Iveco/Renault/Ford - Torn between buying a used or new van. - badbusdriver

Why would a dealer have a 2-4 year old luton van?, simple, it came off a hire van fleet.

And as it still has 1 year left of its Renault warranty, I think maybe you are being a bit too careful. You don't want to spend £30k new, well this is probably the safest alternative.

Iveco/Renault/Ford - Torn between buying a used or new van. - Steveieb

Managed to find a privately owned Transit a few years ago and beat the dealers to the door.

Its been fantastic and always been pleased with Transits. Not so sure about Renault, Vauxhall etc but they do go cheap, maybe for a reason?

Wonder if the rental companies sell vans like the Hertz rent to buy scheme where you have the vehicle for a week and just pay the rental if you return it?

Iveco/Renault/Ford - Torn between buying a used or new van. - daveyK_UK
I know a welding firm who have 3 Iveco Daily 3.5 tonne vans from new, all 66 plates

2 have been fine, no issues at all

The other has been a pig, back at the dealers multiple times.

He has no idea why 1 of them has been so problematic

Worth making sure there is some manufacturer warranty left if you go for an Iveco

Iveco/Renault/Ford - Torn between buying a used or new van. - mcb100
I don’t know how badly you need a fresh van, but prices are currently high on used and availability not good on new.
With the increase in home deliveries over the past year for stuff we’d have previously gone out to buy, and lots of folk finding themselves out of a job and thinking ‘I know what, I’ll buy a van and be a man and a van’, demand has shot up.
My last couple of days work before the lockdown #1 were actually spent making deliveries to Amazon of new vans as they ramped up ready for the changes in home shopping.
I’ve no crystal ball to predict how prices are going to go, but worth monitoring.
Iveco/Renault/Ford - Torn between buying a used or new van. - up north

Depends how long you are keeping it. Ford vans are notorious for rust but enjoyable to drive. Local authority will testify to that as stopped using them. They buy them new and then the Council mechanics become expert at welding.

Iveco/Renault/Ford - Torn between buying a used or new van. - Chrome

At work our last Transit box van, 2018 RWD model, was stolen from the secure yard overnight never to be seen again! Police not interested at all. I believe this model has a diagnosis port security flaw. Not sure if the later models are as vulnerable. It was a great driver though and had some pep.

Edited by Chrome on 07/04/2021 at 20:01

Iveco/Renault/Ford - Torn between buying a used or new van. - daveyK_UK
Worth buying new or pre reg IMO, as used van prices are unsustainably high at the moment.

Iveco/Renault/Ford - Torn between buying a used or new van. - Ian_SW

If you don't do many miles, why not do what most businesses do and lease instead of buy?

Lease rates for vans doing low miles are pretty good, you could be in a new Luton van for something like £350 per month by the looks of it.