What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vauxhall Mokka - importing an Opel Mokka to the UK question - MTD

My wife has inherited a 2016 Opel Mokka, owned from new by her mum, top spec & low mileage. the car is in effect 'free' and the cost of shipping it to the UK is approx £800 plus insurance, which luckily we won't be paying for (the family company will).Quote for changing it from km to Miles is about £150, also we won't be paying for this.

We like the car and drive it as 'our' car whenever we visit South Africa.

My questions to this forum are:

A, will there be any taxes to pay for us bringing the vehicle to the UK as its an inheritance (the SA shipping guy says no) and we will be using it, not selling it.

B. As its an Opel not a Vauxhall, will there be any future higher than normal insurance or running costs involved

cheers

Vauxhall Mokka - importing an Opel Mokka to the UK question - _

I think you may well find that you pay vat and import duty on the value of the car.

No problem in using it here, but you will have to tell the insurance company that it is an import.

Ask these people for a quote. They will give you a breakdown and you can see how much they charge, I have no connection, just a random name off the internet.

Others are available.

Edited by _ORB_ on 12/03/2021 at 16:35

Vauxhall Mokka - importing an Opel Mokka to the UK question - bazza

Can sometimes be a bit more complicated insuring an import, but somebody will do it, I had a little bother insuring an imported Opel Astra that had been rebadged as a Vauxhall some years ago.

Vauxhall Mokka - importing an Opel Mokka to the UK question - Brit_in_Germany

You will need some form of proof that it meets the UK regulations, e.g. emissions, saftey regs etc. No idea if this will be straightforward such as obtaining an EU Certificate of Conformity from Opel.

Vauxhall Mokka - importing an Opel Mokka to the UK question - badbusdriver

I have actually looked into importing a vehicle from South Africa to the UK (long story). And what I found was that unless the car was over 10 years old, it was very difficult. Something to do with them being RHD and therefore potentially taking business away from a UK garage.

If you are moving from South Africa to the UK, provided you have lived their and owned the car for more than a year, that is fine to get a younger car in, otherwise it is rarely allowed.

Don't take that as gospel though, I didn't spend that much time looking, there may be loopholes!.

Vauxhall Mokka - importing an Opel Mokka to the UK question - RT

When you come to sell it, it won't be worth as much as the equivalent Vauxhall - insurance will probably cost more than the equivalent as well.

Vauxhall Mokka - importing an Opel Mokka to the UK question - nick62

Easiest option by far will be to sell it in SA and use the funds to buy a car in UK.

Vauxhall Mokka - importing an Opel Mokka to the UK question - Ian_SW

Secondhand cars in the UK are quite a bit cheaper than in most of the rest of the world, so you'd probably be able to manage an upgrade or get a slightly newer one by doing that.

If the car was something unusual or exceptionally valuable it might be worth importing, but otherwise I don't think it would be worth the hassle.

If the car was something unusual or exceptionally valuable it might be worth importing, but otherwise I don't think it would be worth the hassle.

I agree.

I was looking myself because the type of vehicle I feel would suit my work best, a small pickup, just aren't available in this country. But in South Africa, they are very much favoured, and with the added advantage of being RHD it seemed at least worthy of consideration. It may yet happen, but probably unlikely!

Vauxhall Mokka - importing an Opel Mokka to the UK question - daveyK_UK
Do it

You know the cars history, they sell a near identical Vauxhall badged version in the UK, you will be able to get parts, insurance company normally charge on average 5% extra for a import (that’s how much I was told when I wanted to buy a Japanese import).

Go for it and keep the board updated with how the story develops.
Thanks all
Still trying to find something definitive from HMRC saying what the story is - but the car shipper person here has said no duty is due if it’s A. Someone moving to UK, or B. An inheritance (our situation). Would prefer something official though from the Uk ;)

Will update here once we know, am in SA for a few more weeks yet whilst funeral etc gets sorted.
We currently have in UK a zafira as our family car, but am thinking of going back to 2 cars because of kids clubs taxi-Ing around and hopefully return to normality with covid.
Vauxhall Mokka - importing an Opel Mokka to the UK question - Brit_in_Germany

I guess you have worked your way through this:

www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

Yup, I sent an email to hmrc, not heard back yet.
The website doesn’t really clear it for me or give any indication of how much it will be, but if it’s say £2k tax and £1k shipping , it’s a £3k cost for a pretty new car with low miles and of course a wee bit of sentimental value to my wife.

Edited by MTD on 30/03/2021 at 06:30

Vauxhall Mokka - importing an Opel Mokka to the UK question - daveyK_UK
Well worth it for £3k, please keep the forum updated.
Will do, this seems a nice serious forum and everyone likes an end to a tale, however mundane.
Part of me just thinks it would be easier to sell it here (second hand Opel cars hold their value more in SA than Vauxhall’s do in UK), go buy some kugerands, and then use them as a deposit on something bigger when back in UK (that Kia phev Sorento looks to tick all our boxes)
A timely reply from hmrc !

They sent this link - basically if it’s inherited and there is proof, then there is no vat & duty to pay

www.gov.uk/guidance/pay-no-import-duties-or-vat-on...s

Why this isn’t mentioned on the ‘importing cars into the uk’ thing I can’t imagine, or if it is why I missed it initially .

(Joking)
I need to see if her old man can get some more vehicles into his name before he croaks , like the family 1992 vw combi with a 2.6lt Audi petrol engine which I don’t think ever came out in the uk - this part of the world often had the same cars as you have in the uk only with much bigger engines.

1992 vw combi with a 2.6lt Audi petrol engine which I don’t think ever came out in the uk - this part of the world often had the same cars as you have in the uk only with much bigger engines.

No, it didn't. Biggest petrol engine the UK got in a T25 was the 2.1 5 cyl with, if memory serves, 112bhp. The 2.6 available in South Africa has about 150bhp and, apparently, loads of torque. Of course you will be lucky to get more than 18mpg, so swings and roundabouts!.

Mind you, in this country they are swapping out the original power units for Subaru engines, which opens up some interesting possibilities!.

Vauxhall Mokka - importing an Opel Mokka to the UK question - Engineer Andy

1992 vw combi with a 2.6lt Audi petrol engine which I don’t think ever came out in the uk - this part of the world often had the same cars as you have in the uk only with much bigger engines.

No, it didn't. Biggest petrol engine the UK got in a T25 was the 2.1 5 cyl with, if memory serves, 112bhp. The 2.6 available in South Africa has about 150bhp and, apparently, loads of torque. Of course you will be lucky to get more than 18mpg, so swings and roundabouts!.

Mind you, in this country they are swapping out the original power units for Subaru engines, which opens up some interesting possibilities!.

Indeed - a former rep I used to know well when working in Building Services Engineering had refurbished his old style VW Camper Van and stuck a 2.5L engine (I think) in it. Not sure if he upgraded the brakes at the time!