What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda cost price - chris87

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has any info on what the cost price of a Mazda is. I'm talking about the amount the dealer would have to cover to break even on a car. For example, at a list price of £30k, the dealer's base price, including profit, would be £24.5k. This is gross, of course, pre-VAT and other non-VAT related expenses (first year tax duty, registration fee etc.). I imagine the gross margin is around 10%, so the actual vehicle is "bought" by the dealer at around £22k. How far off am I?

I got my current car for 30% off list price last year and I want a similar deal within the next 2-3 days. I wouldn't want to go too much above cost, to be honest with you, those cars don't sell at all, I've been keeping an eye on autotrader for the last 3 months and the cars are still there.

Thanks

Edited by chris87 on 28/12/2020 at 10:09

Mazda cost price - _

Do the usual things and weigh up the COST TO CHANGE.

Once you have done that start phoning dealers to see what they would take for the car.

Cash, Finance?

Sometimes if there is a good discount and a 0%apr PCP which gives a further discount you can in principle pay off the pcp quickly.

It's what myself and others have done.

Mazda cost price - Manatee

Everything ORB said.

As to the dealer cost, I don't think there's a single answer to that and it will vary according to when you buy,how long it has been on stock, whether the dealer has already hit the sales target, whether there is extra manufacturer support for that model.

I vaguely remember the 'standard' dealer discount on bread and butter cars going from around 15% to 10% decades ago. And I believe the entry level models went as low as 7.5%. But as you might infer from your 30% discount, it's much more complicated than that.

I'm not up to date, but typically there are quarterly retrospective discounts or bonuses related to sales targets, demo allowances, free stock funding that ends after 180 days, and other tactical support in the form of discounts and registration bonuses on specific models from time to time. Bonuses and support can be such that dealers with 'sell'/pre-register cars even though that means they have to pay for them immediately - standard procedure when a car on free consignment is registered is that the cost is direct debited to the dealer's bank account..

Coming up to quarter ends can provide buying opportunities that won't be there the following month. I got a large discount on the last new car I bought in 2017 but it had been registered in December 2016. It's worth less as a 2016 but it doesn't matter much to me - I still have it and other things being equal will probably have it another 5 years when the year of registration won't make much difference. An identical 2017-registered car would have cost me at least 10% more.

Dealers will often say things like "I can't give you any more because I'm only making £100 as it is" but they will usually be basing that on the basic dealer discount and ignoring other elements including what they hope to make on add-ons such as GAP, paint treatments, finance, and options that they will try not to give you the same discount on.

Prices from e.g. Drive the Deal and other similar brokers will give you a clue as to what scope the dealers might have.

As ORB implies an odd one is leasing and PCP. If manufacturers want to shift cars without overtly trashing the list prices or giving big dealer discounts, both of which have a large deadweight cost, they often subsidise sales with 0% interest and/or "contributions". It can pay to take the PCP, get the extra contribution, and then early-settle the loan and own the car outright. With leasing deals the customer never sees the price paid anyway so the discounts remain more or less secret. My son leased a Note on run-out from Ling's that cost him barely £4,000 over 3 years - much less than he could have bought and sold it for..

Thanks. For me it's more about the actual value of the car, and not the financing or anything else. I work out if a deal is good enough, not the dealer through the monthly payment :). I'm simply wondering what their gross margin is so I can offer a fair price given the difficult market circumstances, especially on that model/trim.

Do the usual things and weigh up the COST TO CHANGE.

Once you have done that start phoning dealers to see what they would take for the car.

Cash, Finance?

Sometimes if there is a good discount and a 0%apr PCP which gives a further discount you can in principle pay off the pcp quickly.

It's what myself and others have done.

Thanks for this. I was simply interested in what margins a Mazda dealer has to make sure I don't offer more than I have to. Leaving aside how I pay for the car, I'm not the monthly payment type customer. I don't do any business unless we agree a fair list price to start with, as I know prices are heavily inflated on no basis whatsoever. List prices are "suggested" retail prices, not the actual price of a car. I got my £27000 car for £19500 including free servicing, I want a similar deal this year, but I'm sure there's more margin on the trim I want, it costs thousands more.

Edited by chris87 on 28/12/2020 at 11:10

Mazda cost price - Steveieb

With Mazda s one of the most sought after car Chris, i believe you have chosen on of the most difficult makes to get a discount on.

Low volumes and most cars imported from Japan where the exchange rate has gone off the edge of a cliff recently all go against you. Nissan and Honda maybe but Mazda are the top marque now IMHO

I wonder why the model I'm after (exact same car) is on autotrader for months for considerably less than list price then... it won't sell. In fact, the very same 24 cars that were there in September are still live on autotrader. Might be a sought after brand, but that particular car is not that interesting to people. Drinks fuel like crazy, costs more than a similar Mercedes and is a saloon, not an SUV.

And yes, they are probably the best brand you can buy at the moment, hence I'm looking for an upgrade. Very happy with my 69 Mazda 6, it gives premium brands a run for their money!

Edited by chris87 on 28/12/2020 at 13:55

Mazda cost price - Engineer Andy

With Mazda s one of the most sought after car Chris, i believe you have chosen on of the most difficult makes to get a discount on.

Low volumes and most cars imported from Japan where the exchange rate has gone off the edge of a cliff recently all go against you. Nissan and Honda maybe but Mazda are the top marque now IMHO

I agree that with the fall in the value of the £, as well as other factors (e.g. price/availability of parts, etc), prices of imported cars (i.e. not made in the EU/UK) have been rising and thus the list price of Japanese makes like Mazda have been rising significantly and deals just haven't been there.

Despite the non-diesel Mazdas being well-regarded on the looks and handling front, they aren't selling that well in the UK, pre-pandemic times, compared to the best days of the mid 2000s.

Deals on the latest new cars at brokers tend to be about half the money off, percentage-wise as it was around 2006 when I bought my Mazda3 - 8-12% today compared to 18-25% back then. I paid just over £10k for mine in early 2006 (essentially new [10-15 miles on the clock] from a car supermarket), now you'd have to fork out around £20k for the nearest specced equivalent - after discounts.

What you may be able to find - and soon - are cars (from any make, not just Mazda) that dealers are absolutely desperate to sell to keep them afloat, bearing in mind they buy them off the manufacturers and then flog them to us lot, so that money has to come from somewhere, and the longer a car takes to sell (showroom demos etc), the more it costs the dealer, as bills, wages and loans have to be paid on an ongoing basis.

Given a LOT of people will be soon out of work, they'll be far less people in the market for buying a new car, so you may find some stonking deals - even where the dealer has to, on the surface, take a loss (they may be able to recover that through sales target bonuses, though unlikely at the present time) to at least get some of their money back that they spent buying it from the manufacturer.

I personally wouldn't just set an arbitrary deadline for buying 'a car', especially from a specific manufacturer, as it will box you in on price/cost to change - yes, second hand prices are on the rise, but they won't cover the increase in the cost of buying a new one, even with cars under 3 years old.

The end-of year (including sales by month/quarter/year) and then reg change in March will hopefully lead to lower prices of nearly new cars/ex-demos/showroom cars dealers need to shift to keep going. Some may have stood in their glass palaces for 6 months or more now, so I'd expect they want to rid themselves of them asap.

Many dealers (like high street shops) must be close to going under by now, even with government financial help, as that money WILL have to be paid back (with interest/higher taxes) in the not so distant future.

I remember in early 2017 when I was looking for a replacement car (in the end I didn't change mine), I found a VW Scirocco 2.0 TSI 180 GT with only 900 miles on the clock (an ex-demo sold on) that was 9 months old at Motorpoint for £17k. That was (then) a reduction of about £8.5k off the list price, or 33%!

I suspect they'll be an increasing number of similar cars finding their way to punters, whether via dealer sales or similar offloads to car supermarkets. I've also noticed that Motorpoint now have 7k stock compared to well under half that much six months ago.

Sites like that may well be a better source of nearly new cars (essentially as good as factory new - just check the brakes [binding], tyres [flatspotting] and battery are in good condition) compared to many brokers, assuming COVID-related production issues (staff shortages, plant downtime, etc) still need to be sorted out.

Only one Mazda3 gen-4 on Motorpoint today, but on 2.5k miles and a decent upper spec SA-X model for £18.5k - a 24% discount for essentially a new car. Last time I looked on the HJ new cars for sale page, Mazda3s only attracted an 8% discount tops.

Lots of choice of other makes as well, and more likely soon for the reasons given above.

Good luck Chris.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 28/12/2020 at 14:26

Mazda cost price - Andrew-T

This whole discussion seems rather academic to me. If you consider the best deal you can find to be more than you are willing to pay, end of story - you don't buy the car. You may wait a while to see what changes. The 'cost price to the dealer' is just a number which won't feature very much in any sale transaction you decide to make.

The only purpose I can think of would be a surprisingly good deal which might offer bragging rights in the pub ?

Mazda cost price - Terry W

If you have already decided on the car and trim level then you just need the best price.

There are on-line sites which gets dealers to "bid". Try a few and see what answers you get.

Prices offered will likely have a "shelf life" of a few days or wee ks. Next month prices may well be different due to stock level changes, manufacturers promotions, time of year etc.

The fact that you got your last car at a large discount probably only serves to prove the point that buying at the right time to coincide with promotions, or model run outs, or overstocks, or surplus due to a failed deal esewhere, has nothing to do with the price charged today.

IMHO if you want to get a large discount select two or three different cars, be fairly flexible on colour and trim, then when you are ready to purchase look for the best deal.

If you want a specific model with a specific trim or colour, on a particular date you may strike lucky but you probably won't get the best deal.

I am indeed someone who knows exactly what he wants, no other car would be acceptable, I'll just keep mine. I tried the usual websites, but the offers are rubbish. I know they're bluffing because that's what they did last year... sorry sir, £24k is the best we can do. Had I believed them, I wouldn't paid £4.5k + interest + service more. They're lying as soon as they open their mouths, hence I need the actual cost price (the real one, not the fake price for customers).

Mazda cost price - RT

I am indeed someone who knows exactly what he wants, no other car would be acceptable, I'll just keep mine. I tried the usual websites, but the offers are rubbish. I know they're bluffing because that's what they did last year... sorry sir, £24k is the best we can do. Had I believed them, I wouldn't paid £4.5k + interest + service more. They're lying as soon as they open their mouths, hence I need the actual cost price (the real one, not the fake price for customers).

There's no real value in knowing the dealer's cost price - as they can sell at a loss if their volume and/or finance commission makes it worthwhile.

The lowest price you can negotiate is the best you can do regardless of what that is in relation to cost price

Mazda cost price - mcb100
Narrow it down a bit - which model, engine, trim level, colour and options are you looking at?
And how will you be paying for it? Cash or finance?

Edited by mcb100 on 28/12/2020 at 12:16

Mazda cost price - daveyK_UK
Dealer profit per car can vary considerably

On a base spec Dacia Sandero the dealers profit margin when the cars where first sold was £75 hence why they pushed buyers to go for the mid spec model.

Profit margin per vehicle is difficult to establish as there will be kick backs for finance and for sales volume; in particular sales volume is key - sell a number of units and get a manufacturer sales bonus which can add substantially to the profit margin.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 28/12/2020 at 12:40

I want the Mazda 6 GT Sport Nav with special red paint and petrol engine. No tech pack, no white leather. I'm not willing to pay more than £24000 for it, after Mazda's £4000 deposit contribution. Basically I want it for £28000, not the list price of £32905.

UK car discount has it as £28494 and they're not a charity either, hence I'm convinced £24000 is a fair price for it, given we're headed into a major economical crisis. But if the margins are larger than that, I don't even want to pay £24k.

Mazda cost price - Terry W

If you are clear on what you want, try emailing them with an offer - eg: "I will place an order within 48 hours of your confirmation that you will reduce the price to £23,000. My offer to you will be valid for xx days".

If they are really just bluffing as you believe, one will no doubt take up your generous offer!

It’s a soon to be discontinued model, so supply to your spec may be an issue.
It really doesn’t make any difference whether anyone on here knows the net price of a car, the dealership will either accept your offer or decline it. Offer what you want to pay and see what happens.
Will you be part exchanging your current car?

I want the Mazda 6 GT Sport Nav with special red paint and petrol engine. No tech pack, no white leather. I'm not willing to pay more than £24000 for it, after Mazda's £4000 deposit contribution. Basically I want it for £28000, not the list price of £32905.

UK car discount has it as £28494 and they're not a charity either, hence I'm convinced £24000 is a fair price for it, given we're headed into a major economical crisis. But if the margins are larger than that, I don't even want to pay £24k.

So Mazda is offering £4,000 deposit contribution on a £33,000 car?

So that would be a £27000 + VAT car. So even at 10% dealer margin would be 2700. But the chances are that with £4000 off, some of that is coming out of the dealer's share anyway.

I don't think trying to reverse engineer the dealer's 'profit' is going to help you any more than the various ways of shopping around, especially if you have no insight into which dealers have the allocation, are chasing their target, have the lowest overheads and therefore lowest margin requirement, have cars that are approaching 180 days old that they will have to pay for, and so on.

I wouldn't count on the struggling economy producing lots of bargains either. It might happen, but manufacturers have got much better at adjusting production volumes and pushing risk back into their supply chains, so don't expect to see airfields full of desirable cars at knock down prices. The good stuff sells, it's the less desirable stock that hangs around anyway.

Mazda's new prices in particular seem to have shot up recently, at least on MX-5's. I'm fairly sure my 3 year old one has increased in value over the last year despite the current desperate situation. An example of Mazda managing supply?

Mazda cost price - pd

As regards the MX-5 pretty much every single used car has gone up in the last 9 months and commercial vehicles are through the roof.

You're right, they won't sell unless it makes sense for them, so I'll definitely make a few phone calls over the next couple of days. The thing is, I don't have a deadline; or I do, but it doesn't mean I'll buy for more if I don't get the deal I want. I will keep my nearly brand new 6 which is more or less the same car, bar a few extras I can live without.

I did want to have a more realistic chance of getting a deal by knowing exactly what margins they're working with, rather than offering too little. I'm more interested in whether the 6, for example, has the same margin across all models. I know what margin my current car has (Sport Nav+), if the GT Sport Nav+ has the same margin, the price I'm offering is not even crazy. Last year we didn't know about covid, brexit was not around the corner, sales didn't go down by nearly 50% and people were not worried about the largest financial crisis in this country ever. If that discount is possible in good times, I expect dealers to match this year too.

If not, their problem, not mine...

Thanks all!

So Mazda is offering £4,000 deposit contribution on a £33,000 car?

So that would be a £27000 + VAT car. So even at 10% dealer margin would be 2700. But the chances are that with £4000 off, some of that is coming out of the dealer's share anyway.

I don't think trying to reverse engineer the dealer's 'profit' is going to help you any more than the various ways of shopping around, especially if you have no insight into which dealers have the allocation, are chasing their target, have the lowest overheads and therefore lowest margin requirement, have cars that are approaching 180 days old that they will have to pay for, and so on.

I wouldn't count on the struggling economy producing lots of bargains either. It might happen, but manufacturers have got much better at adjusting production volumes and pushing risk back into their supply chains, so don't expect to see airfields full of desirable cars at knock down prices. The good stuff sells, it's the less desirable stock that hangs around anyway.

Mazda's new prices in particular seem to have shot up recently, at least on MX-5's. I'm fairly sure my 3 year old one has increased in value over the last year despite the current desperate situation. An example of Mazda managing supply?

Prices will come back down if people believe they're too high (including if due to the pandemic they can't afford them). This would be less of an issue if everyone bought direct from manufacturers without seeing the car (demo) where supply could be exactly matched to demand, but cars have a significant lag, plus they also have a lot of costs that have to be borne for the most part whatever the production level.

If dealers aren't selling many cars, they'll either get rid of staff, go under or start offloading them cheaper until sales return; and if they were sensible, they wouldn't buy their showroom cars from the manufacturer at the same high prices because they would say they can't sell them at a loss and survive over the long term.

In my view, this may well mean car manufacturers will have to dial back on the plushness and gizmos of their models, perhaps making more lower spec ones that more people can afford. That will still come at a cost where they already sell mostly upmarket cars or, as Mazda have recently done, revamped their range to go upmarket.

Budget brands such as Dacia should do well because they are already cost-effective for a budget-conscious buyer. Toyota and other 'reliable but dull' oriental makes should also do well via second hand sales and may want to expand what they sell, rather than mostly cars under 3 years old, as most new car dealerships do. It may also have the added benefit of improving the skills of dealership mechanics who would have to maintain older cars for longer.

Making cars cheaper means either switching volume into cheaper models or skimping on engineering and quality.

There's often very little difference in the build cost of the top of the range and the bottom from what I've been told. 'Extras' are mostly costed on a scale of a few dollars and priced in hundreds. Essentially the same product is old at different prices, and the specifications are carefully tweaked to achieve the best average price.

It's as likely that models will be more blinged up to justify the price as stripped out to save money - it just wouldn't save enough in most cases.

Making cars on a cheaper basis doesn't mean scrimping on engineering quality. It certainly can mean using less plush internal materals or the cars having less non-critical features and gizmos (cars don't need LED speedos, touchscreens, ICE systems worthy of a DJ, etc), nor do they need to be able to go from 0-60 in significantly under 9 seconds or have 19in rims and tyres that each cost more than my car's (equavalent outside diameter) 15in tyres cost across all four.

Up until the start of the pandemic, many other 'tech-rich' products such as TVs, home AV, computers of all sorts and mobile phones have been significantly improving in features/speed/efficiency and quality and yet have been reducing in price or at least staying constant whilst those improvements have occured.

Cars on the other hand have been going up in price, even when the depreciation of the £ is taken into consideration, with many 'ordinary' cars outside the price range of people when they weren't 10-15 years ago.

The reason why most makes didn't go for the budget models, many going in the other direction is because they erroneously believed that the debt-fuelled economies of Western nations would continue to fuel sales via the pyramid scheme of PCP and other continuous debt-fuelled purchases, where punters never pay off these debts until they stop driving in old age, making more money out of the loans than selling the cars themselves, hence why they are blinging up to the nines, pretending that they'll be great for the resale value later on.

Now that the pandemic has essentially reset the market, many of thes structural problems are coming home to roost. Manufacturers will quickly have to adapt to the new world where people can't afford such expensive purchases, otherwise many will go to the wall once the taxpayer bills for it all start to come in and have to be repaid via higher taxes, interest rates, etc.

Dacia have shown that their cars are no less safe or reliable than those of stablemates Renault and Nissan, just less flashy and more utilitarian, hence why they are significantly cheaper in terms of list price.

Dacia have shown that their cars are no less safe or reliable than those of stablemates Renault and Nissan, just less flashy and more utilitarian, hence why they are significantly cheaper in terms of list price.

I think the Dacia thing is partly that they are re-using old investment that was amortised years ago, and pure marketing.

My point stands that most of the features on higher grades of the same model cost very little. The top of the range Duster is priced £4,500 above the base model. The added features probably cost a manufacturer no more than a tenth of that. Things such as parking sensors, rear view cameras, bluetooth etc will cost the manufacturer next to nothing. Cruise control etc., at the margin, pennies. I don't know what a manufacturer pays for simple cast alloy wheels in volume, does anyone know? Not a lot I imagine compared with the upgrade price or the replacement price of £400 a wheel that a friend of mine was recently quoted by Mazda.

Manufacturers will always try to add value that they can mark up massively, not strip out something that the customer perceives to be worth £200 but only produces a cost reduction of £10.

Time will tell I expect!

<< Manufacturers will always try to add value that they can mark up massively, not strip out something that the customer perceives to be worth £200 but only produces a cost reduction of £10. >>

The interesting bit is that while any model is in production, the array of 'extras' gradually expands until its replacement appears. That car may start without some of the features its predecessor had - which slowly reappear (together with more advanced gizmos of course). I'm thinking of such things as heated mirrors, which my 1983 Cavalier estate had, but didn't become standard for a long time after that.

<< Manufacturers will always try to add value that they can mark up massively, not strip out something that the customer perceives to be worth £200 but only produces a cost reduction of £10. >>

The interesting bit is that while any model is in production, the array of 'extras' gradually expands until its replacement appears. That car may start without some of the features its predecessor had - which slowly reappear...

I've noticed that too. Presumably the new model is expected to revive sales, and they hold back some features to phase back in to maintain revenue as the life cycle progresses.

Mazda cost price - Heidfirst

I've noticed that too. Presumably the new model is expected to revive sales, and they hold back some features to phase back in to maintain revenue as the life cycle progresses.

I always saw it as ageing models competing against newer/better competitive models by adding "value" in terms of features that would cost on the newer/better competitors' model.

The same argument also works to keep sales up of run out models when a new, replacement model is expected imminently - for similar money do you buy the old "loaded" model or the new, better replacement that may at launch lack several of the convenience features available as standard on the old?

<< ... for similar money do you buy the old "loaded" model or the new, better replacement that may at launch lack several of the convenience features available as standard on the old? >>

The public perception will be that the new model is 'better' but sadly it isn't always the case - I'm thinking of the Pug 205 and 206 :-) Usually newer just means a few percent bigger.

Peugeot also found soon after the 306 was launched that not enough space was available for new safety features such as passenger airbags. Useful gloveboxes had to be sacrificed to make room for them.

quick update: emailed countless dealers, I managed to find ONE who agreed with the price. unfortunately, there were no more cars of that spec in stock, so they couldn't sell me anything. all the others insisted on selling at list price, lol.

thanks for your advice!

Mazda cost price - FP

I must say I've been surprised that the WBAC price offered on my 14-plate Mazda CX-5 (petrol) has (apart from one big, temporary dip during the first lockdown) only recently dropped into four figures.

Whether that's simply the result of that model holding its second-hand price well, or of Mazda prices generally rising I don't know.

Not that I'm looking to sell - it has been an excellent choice for us and totally reliable.

Mazda cost price - RT

I must say I've been surprised that the WBAC price offered on my 14-plate Mazda CX-5 (petrol) has (apart from one big, temporary dip during the first lockdown) only recently dropped into four figures.

Whether that's simply the result of that model holding its second-hand price well, or of Mazda prices generally rising I don't know.

Not that I'm looking to sell - it has been an excellent choice for us and totally reliable.

Used prices for crossovers and SUVs tend to hold steady in Autumn, or even increase slightly - due to perceived demand for 4wd, even among 2wd soft-roaders.

Used car prices in general are still really strong, not just SUV’s. Used car dealers that I see still don’t have full, pre-pandemic, pitches, and as with the case with the new Mazda featured in this post, demand is strong for a diminished number of cars.
Mazda cost price - nick62

My prices are always cheaper than my competitors when I don't have any stock.

It's one of the oldest tricks in the book..

‘I managed to find ONE who agreed with the price. unfortunately, there were no more cars of that spec in stock, so they couldn't sell me anything’ - I’d sell you one for £1000, but I haven’t got any to sell.
It’s supply and demand in action - those that have cars know they turn a profit on them, those that haven’t can quote what they want.
With the majority of dealerships now operating on a ‘click & collect’ basis, they’ve got staff on furlough and being paid by the government, staff costs are lower and the need to sell cars just to make up the numbers has also been reduced. So they’re holding firm and not needing to do silly deals.

Edited by mcb100 on 31/12/2020 at 12:56

staff costs are lower and the need to sell cars just to make up the numbers has also been reduced. So they’re holding firm and not needing to do silly deals.

Logically if costs are lower, competition would force gross margins down, all else equal.

So if discounts are hard to come by it's probably stock shortage.

there's nothing silly in what I offered, it's a fair price for a car with a list price hugely inflated and based on thin air. besides, I know better since I got one a short while back for what it's actually worth, not the silly list price.

point is, I have the upper hand in this by any measure, as I got more or less what I want, I can afford pretty much anything, I am very financially literate and don't fall for cheap tricks, I have patience, I'm not at risk of having to close down my business and much more. in good times, they kick you out if you don't offer list price, 10 others in your place is the thinking.

we are at the start of probably the worst times this country has witnessed in recent history and as such dealers need to compromise or go bankrupt. as I said, I can wait until a "silly" deal comes along, after all those nearly 60% less registrations compared to 2019 need to be made up somehow. also, when a Mercedes with a list price of thousands above what I'm looking for is offered to me at £25k, you must wonder what's so special about this mazda, a budget brand, for it to be more expensive. we're talking a 2.5L petrol engine that does 30mpg in a best case scenario, not a highly efficient hybrid car that saves fuel in the process.

let's sell cars, but let's be realistic at the same time...

Edited by chris87 on 01/01/2021 at 19:53

Mazda cost price - RT

A "fair" price is one that both buyer and seller are happy to deal at - the fact that no dealer has agreed to sell at your suggested price suggests it's not a fair price.

The deals you've done in the past are irrelevant to any future deals - the market reacts quickly to changes in supply and demand - the motor industry will never recover the sales lost in 2020 - monthly sales will get back to previous levels but with a higher % of electrified models - diesel and petrol cars are dying!

Good point RT, which suggests that reduced demand is likely to be matched by reduced production rather than large overstocks.

The manufacturers will have realised that permanently to reduce capacity exclusively needed for production of ICE-only cars is low risk, as much of it will never be needed again.

Mazda cost price - galileo

Good point RT, which suggests that reduced demand is likely to be matched by reduced production rather than large overstocks.

The manufacturers will have realised that permanently to reduce capacity exclusively needed for production of ICE-only cars is low risk, as much of it will never be needed again.

In large parts of the world where electricity is nowhere near as widely available as it is in Europe and the USA, ICE vehicles of all types will be needed for many years. The UK ban on 'new' IC cars from 2030 may be revised before that date anyway.

There’s something else at play, they only quoted list price. They probably thought they found an idiot who doesn’t know anything about car pricing. One thing is for sure: list price is inflated and detached from reality and whoever pays that is, excuse my arrogance, stupid.

Anyway, I didn’t buy so it doesn’t matter in the end.

Thanks all!

Edited by chris87 on 01/01/2021 at 21:23

I'd argue you don't have the upper hand if you cannot get anyone to sell you a car at your perceived price?

Difficult to sell something if there’s no stock, isn’t there? Also, having the upper hand means being able to walk away from the deal and being in a strong position if you can’t get your deal.
Mazda cost price - alan1302
Difficult to sell something if there’s no stock, isn’t there? Also, having the upper hand means being able to walk away from the deal and being in a strong position if you can’t get your deal.

You don't even have what you want though

Not really much use if you haven't got the car though.

Unless this is all a wind-up?

This sounds like some strange metaphor for Brexit...

Mazda cost price - SLO76
Hard to gauge. In my day a typical mainstream Mitsubishi or Proton had a margin of 7.5% but dealers get deals for bulk buying and there’s manufacturer offers to shift stock. One such offer seen my local Volvo dealer offer me almost £10k off a new and unregistered XC60 2.0 diesel, a car that very much in demand right now. The way the market is today with PCP and leasing now dominating its hard to determine dealer margins with manufacturer cash back deals clouding things. Dealer margins will vary hugely depending on what package you take.

There were certain loss leaders in the range that only existed to upsell from and these had next to no profit in them. You’ll often see it in car magazine mystery shopper sections where higher spec cars can be bought for less than models lower on the list. If I sold a new Proton Compact in 1999 we made around £800 on a 1.3 LSi at around £8700 but the base model 1.3 Li made us £200 at £7777. We sold none of them except the rare car that was sent to us to appear in the showroom. Ditto the base Mitsubishi Colt and Carisma.
Mazda cost price - _
Hard to gauge. In my day a typical mainstream Mitsubishi or Proton had a margin of 7.5% but dealers get deals for bulk buying and there’s manufacturer offers to shift stock. One such offer seen my local Volvo dealer offer me almost £10k off a new and unregistered XC60 2.0 diesel, a car that very much in demand right now. The way the market is today with PCP and leasing now dominating its hard to determine dealer margins with manufacturer cash back deals clouding things. Dealer margins will vary hugely depending on what package you take. There were certain loss leaders in the range that only existed to upsell from and these had next to no profit in them. You’ll often see it in car magazine mystery shopper sections where higher spec cars can be bought for less than models lower on the list. If I sold a new Proton Compact in 1999 we made around £800 on a 1.3 LSi at around £8700 but the base model 1.3 Li made us £200 at £7777. We sold none of them except the rare car that was sent to us to appear in the showroom. Ditto the base Mitsubishi Colt and Carisma.

Yes, Do you also remember telling people who wanted a base model that there were none available, X weeks/months wait, but you had a demo hi spec model for a tiny bit more....

Those were the days.

I had it last february when I was looking for the Kia. I had decided to look at a Seat, (Good dealer nearby) but waiting time s for what i wanted were horrendous, but hi-spec available very quickly.

In the end I plumped for the sportage as it had everything I wanted/needed and has been fault free 10 months on.

Mazda cost price - skidpan

Back in October when we were making the final decision on the new car the result was the Superb iV. The base model is the SE Tech which has everything (and more) than I desire and require but there was an issue with that choice. Its intended for fleet sales and there are no finance deals available on it and broker prices (if they actually sell that spec) had minimal discount making it more expensive than the SE-L which we did not really want - it has stupid diamond cut wheels, auto adaptive headlamps, and a chrome strip along the boot edge, WOW.

But I was in luck. I spoke to the dealer the broker uses (bought the previous Superb and Fabia from them) and discovered they had a cancelled order of several SE Techs at rather good discounts which made them about £3000 less than the SE-L via the broker. Car ordered and collected within the week.

Right place and right time, not normally that lucky.

PS and I got a grand more for the PX than I would have got on the broker deal, happy days.

Edited by skidpan on 02/01/2021 at 12:26

Mazda cost price - _

Back in October when we were making the final decision on the new car the result was the Superb iV. The base model is the SE Tech which has everything (and more) than I desire and require but there was an issue with that choice. Its intended for fleet sales and there are no finance deals available on it and broker prices (if they actually sell that spec) had minimal discount making it more expensive than the SE-L which we did not really want - it has stupid diamond cut wheels, auto adaptive headlamps, and a chrome strip along the boot edge, WOW.

But I was in luck. I spoke to the dealer the broker uses (bought the previous Superb and Fabia from them) and discovered they had a cancelled order of several SE Techs at rather good discounts which made them about £3000 less than the SE-L via the broker. Car ordered and collected within the week.

Right place and right time, not normally that lucky.

PS and I got a grand more for the PX than I would have got on the broker deal, happy days.

And, How is the car going. Probably as boringly well as the Sportage..

A friendly dogwalker has a saloon in black and it looks really nice. He only has good words to say about it. Lot of car for the money

Totally boring and very economical.

Couple of glitches. First was 5 days after collection when the engine light came on. By some fluke we were about 1 mile from the dealer so we popped in and it was very embarrassing. The idiot owner (me) had not put the fuel cap on correctly, its different all our other VAG cars. When they released the flap the cap was just sitting there doing nothing. Seems that the car sensed the lack of vacuum in the tank and threw up the light which despite being an engine is for emissions faults. Have learned to fit it correctly now.

Second glitch is traffic warnings on the radio. Either there are very few at present or its not doing the job correctly. Went to Halifax the Tuesday before Christmas, 2 1/2 hours in the car and we only got one alert all day - from Radio Leeds, normally there are loads. Radio is posher than we have had before in a VAG car (sat nav etc plus it updates over the ether) and the the menu's are different but it all the correct boxes seem to be ticked. Going in next Wednesday and I will probably be embarrassed again.

We love it.

Mazda cost price - daveyK_UK
I am told before any volume bonus, a Skoda dealer margin on a base spec S trim Fabia is 3.5% , where as the top spec SE L Fabia is 7%

What those percentages are in relation to the selling price and or finance company kick backs, I have no idea.

But it confirms that car manufacturers are able to share the bigger profits if a buyer goes for a higher trim model.

I am told before any volume bonus, a Skoda dealer margin on a base spec S trim Fabia is 3.5% , where as the top spec SE L Fabia is 7%.

Just had a look on Carfiles website, they are offering 7.5% discount off a "S" trim Fabia and 7.5% discount off a "SE-L" trim Fabia.

But it confirms that car manufacturers are able to share the bigger profits if a buyer goes for a higher trim model.

The Carfile example does not suggest that at all, 7.5% seems to be the norm.

Then there is the £2500 contribution for taking out a PCP. Do as we do and cancel immediately you keep that £2500 (less however many days interest, normally just a few £'s) and its extra discount. That £2500 is a higher %age on a cheaper model than a more expensive one meaning your figures are even further off the truth.

Mazda cost price - _

Totally boring and very economical.

Couple of glitches. First was 5 days after collection when the engine light came on. By some fluke we were about 1 mile from the dealer so we popped in and it was very embarrassing. The idiot owner (me) had not put the fuel cap on correctly, its different all our other VAG cars. When they released the flap the cap was just sitting there doing nothing. Seems that the car sensed the lack of vacuum in the tank and threw up the light which despite being an engine is for emissions faults. Have learned to fit it correctly now.

Second glitch is traffic warnings on the radio. Either there are very few at present or its not doing the job correctly. Went to Halifax the Tuesday before Christmas, 2 1/2 hours in the car and we only got one alert all day - from Radio Leeds, normally there are loads. Radio is posher than we have had before in a VAG car (sat nav etc plus it updates over the ether) and the the menu's are different but it all the correct boxes seem to be ticked. Going in next Wednesday and I will probably be embarrassed again.

We love it.

Yes, it's boring in a nice way. Sportage now 10 months, 6800 ish miles and nothing at all bad to say about it.

IF I had wanted a bigsaloon, the skoda would have been on the list, but probably beaten by an A5, 5 or 7..

IF I had wanted a bigsaloon, the skoda would have been on the list, but probably beaten by an A5, 5 or 7..

We looked at the A5 and the A4 Avant but both were beaten by the Passat estate. The Passat estate is of course available as a PHEV but would have cost me approx £8000 more than the Superb (after discounts).

Neighbour at the old house had a 17 plate 5 series and to be honest it did not look to be such great value as a private buy. His was a company car (520D) and was probably cheaper and more reliable than the company Jag XF he had before it.

I prefer to drive the good old "Communist" Skoda myself and feel smug about the money I have saved buying a car that is every bit as good as the opposition.

Don't forget that we had a Kia Ceed SW from 2010 to 2015 which we bought simply because it was the best car we tried at the time at a good price. It beat the Focus Estate, the Avensis Estate, the dreadful Skoda Octavia Estate and several more. Would have considered a Kia again but they don't sell a car that currently ticks the boxes. And believe me we looked.

Mazda cost price - _

IF I had wanted a big saloon, the skoda would have been on the list, but probably beaten by an A5, 5 or 7..

Just realise my typo...
A5 A6 or A7
ooops!
Mazda cost price - pd

Dealers are not offering the discounts there were on cars as the supply/demand has changed and manufacturers are not offering the same deals to shift stock.

Many factories were closed for several months this year and even now open are at reduced capacity and in some cases struggling for regular parts so there just isn't the normal number of excess cars to dump on the UK market at discounts.

The result of this is prices have firmed up. There is no reason for a manufacturer to offer discounts if they can sell all they have at full price.

Used prices are also up. Because of the lack of new cars there is a lack of used ones with just about anything and everything worth more than it was a year ago.

To top it all, demand is strong. There are many people who have had a great year (some have received grants making 2020 their best every year) and others who haven't spent on meals, holidays, clothes. commuting and other things so have a load of money burning a hole in their pocket. One of the few things they can still spend on is a new car.

All in all do not expect any car bargains just yet. What 2021 will bring who knows.

You’half right, but things are not as rosy as they seem. The UK has seen a reduction of more than 50% new car registrations compared to 2019, hence reduced production. Things are not looking great for 2021, furlough is about to end.

Like I said, I’ll wait as long as it takes :-)

Edited by chris87 on 03/01/2021 at 07:48