What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Electric vehicle tax - expat

A few weeks back some one posted that the Australians were going to introduce a special tax on electric vehicles. At that time I had heard nothing about that but it turned out to be right.

www.caradvice.com.au/903101/victoria-to-tax-electr.../

I have no doubt that these new taxes will soon be extended to internal combustion engine vehicles also in addition to fuel excise charges. You don't want to stand between a politician and a bucket of money! I also expect that if they tax vehicles on kilometreage covered that there will soon be a lot of odometer correcting done.

Electric vehicle tax - badbusdriver

It is ineffable that EV's will be taxed in some way or other. The only questions would be in what form would the tax take, and when would it be introduced.

In Car magazine, they give the energy cost per mile so a direct comparison can be made between the running costs (excluding depreciation and purchase price/lease cost) of any EV or hybrid vs ICE cars. For example in the last issue I read (November), in 'Our cars' section (long term test), the Jag I-Pace costs 4.6p per mile. Elsewhere in the same issue, the closest car in terms of purchase price to the Jag, a Land Rover Discovery Sport (£60k as tested vs £80k for the i-Pace), costs 21.8p per mile. Over two years doing 15k per annum the Disco would cost an extra £5160 to run.

Point being that (and this is obviously ignoring the current charging infrastructure problems which is a separate issue) even introducing some kind of tax on EV's, they are still likely to be much cheaper to run than an ICE car.

Electric vehicle tax - Terry W

A large £60k car doing (say) 15k pa at (say) 30 mpg would use 500 gallons of fuel. At a price of (say) £6 per gallon the cost is £3000 pa.

The same new car would depreciate by around £10k + pa over the first 2 years.

So running costs excluding depreciation is an irrelevancy - costs of ownership are dominated by depreciation.

Electric vehicle tax - _

Expect VED to rise in the UK for ICEcars and then in a year or so a charge for Electric cars too.

No surprises there then!