What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
N?A - Most recently answered questions - sammy1

I have been following these on the main page as they are frequently more interesting than those on the forum. This one has been posted today and I am wondering how too much oil would affect the brakes or caused the car to over rev?

A mechanic said he poured in three litres of engine oil - which was too much and the car over revved. Now brakes won't work. He said he poured in too much as the oil measuring case was broken and not reading correctly. Should a mechanic know this before he pours in too much oil?

N?A - Most recently answered questions - galileo

The oil capacity of almost every car is shown in the Autodata manuals garages use to check things such as oil filter type/brake pads/ spark plugs etc.

If a mechanic hasn't regularly serviced a particular model it would seem prudent to check before pouring oil in. However, not all mechanics can be bothered, just assume 3 litres is about usual. Another question is, is it the correct spec of oil or just what is in the bulk tank?

N?A - Most recently answered questions - craig-pd130

The only connection I can see is if the mechanic poured 3 litres into the engine, and then a quarter of a litre over each brake disc ...

N?A - Most recently answered questions - Heidfirst

and then a quarter of a litre over each brake disc ...

You don't pour oil over a brake disc ...

N?A - Most recently answered questions - Will deBeast

That's the point of the comment!

N?A - Most recently answered questions - alan1302

and then a quarter of a litre over each brake disc ...

You don't pour oil over a brake disc ...

Agreed - you should brush it on liberally!