What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volkswagen Polo - Insurance question - rjh56

Hi just looking for some advice. I was in a minor accident about 10 days ago, scuffed bumper, damaged, headlight, dent in front wing. Had the car looked at by a local garage and they estimated about £1k of repairs. Car in worth around £6800k. Car went into the repairers a week ago. Just checked progress and car is awaiting an engineer inspection. They said it possible uneconomic repairs. Based on the body work damage there is no way this should be classified as a write off, although I stress that’s not been confirmed. Under the circumstances can I insist to my insurers that I get the car back from their approved body shop for an assessment at a repairer of my choice? Not being an insurance expert any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Volkswagen Polo - Insurance question - RT

Hi just looking for some advice. I was in a minor accident about 10 days ago, scuffed bumper, damaged, headlight, dent in front wing. Had the car looked at by a local garage and they estimated about £1k of repairs. Car in worth around £6800k. Car went into the repairers a week ago. Just checked progress and car is awaiting an engineer inspection. They said it possible uneconomic repairs. Based on the body work damage there is no way this should be classified as a write off, although I stress that’s not been confirmed. Under the circumstances can I insist to my insurers that I get the car back from their approved body shop for an assessment at a repairer of my choice? Not being an insurance expert any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Until you get to the point of accepting your insurer's write-off value then it's still your vehicle so you control where it goes.

Volkswagen Polo - Insurance question - RT

Deleted

Edited by RT on 22/07/2020 at 20:00

Volkswagen Polo - Insurance question - gordonbennet

Sounds like a possible winner for you if it gets written off and you buy the car back from them, get it fixed at a little out of the way place using used parts where possible and trouser the difference.

Assuming you keep the car for a few years more, the loss of market value due to insurance marker will be progressively lower as it ages.

Volkswagen Polo - Insurance question - daveyjp

Unfortunately insurance now seems to work on a replace whatever is damaged basis. About 10 years ago our Aygo was hit, nothing more than a paint scrape to rear bumper. Insurance estimate was £2,500. New bumper plus a week car hire at stupid money.

It actually cost £285 for a respray with work undertaken by a local insurance approved bodyshop.

Taking this on board your car may be looked at and they decide it needs a complete new bumper and possibly a crash bar behind, new wing and possibly components behind, plus prep and paint, new headlight, hire car costs. Your £1,000 becomes £5,000.

I'd get it to your body shop and ask them to send the £1000 invoice to whichever insurance company is paying for the work.

Edited by daveyjp on 22/07/2020 at 21:12

Volkswagen Polo - Insurance question - Ethan Edwards

Now you understand one reason why Motor Insurance Premiums are so high.

Volkswagen Polo - Insurance question - Andrew-T

Had the car looked at by a local garage and they estimated about £1k of repairs.

I interpret this as meaning not a bodyshop. I believe in getting a first estimate from a convenient and trusted local bodyshop, and submitting that to the insurer. You aren't obliged to use an insurer's preferred repairer, and for an insurance job your bodyshop would normally quote for replacing all damaged parts, but may well be able to save a bit by mending some parts instead of replacing.

From your description I would think £1K may be optimistic, but nowhere near £6800. Try to avoid a write-off if at all possible.