What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Upgrading from a Honda Jazz (new used car advice) - Mmarsh1972

Hello All

I need some advice For a new used SUV

Im an American single dad Living in France With a single daughter. I currently have a 2012 Honda Jazz a wonderful car but one I think no longer suits my needs.

My two criticisms of it are a lack of power (I recently moved to a hilly area which the Honda struggles with) and the need of a bigger boot.

The only other requirements for a new car Are it must be petrol (diesels are about to become illegal in cars) and It MUST have an AUTO transmission. I think 15-25K is my limit. I don’t drive weekends and holidays mainly. Although it’s possible I may use it for commuting

I perfectly happy to stay with Honda, but can adventure to other brands. Cars I looked at are the Nissan Qashqai Peugeot 3000, Hr-v’ cr-v Kia Soul

so I’m looking for something with more power, bigger boot, Auto transmission and uses petrol

Most models in the Uk can be found in France, there can be some different engine choices though. No UK brands please

thanks

i want an suv/crossover not a sedan.

Need help

Upgrading from a Honda Jazz (new used car advice) - Falkirk Bairn

Honda HRV Sport - turbo petrol giving lots of ooomph out of 180BHP - fitted to Civic & CRV

Much larger inside & much faster than the Jazz.

it's £30K in UK but brker will get it down

There is another engine in the HRV range but it is asthmativ

Upgrading from a Honda Jazz (new used car advice) - badbusdriver

Depends on your budget really, how much money are you planning to spend?.

I wouldn't have a qashqai, they are not very reliable. The Peugeot (i'm assuming you mean 3008 rather than 3000) is a good car in its current form (2017 onwards), but i wouldn't have the previous one. The Kia Soul is a car i do like, but despite its appearance, does not offer any more accomodation than the Jazz. Rear seat width may be better (useful if you want to put 3 in there), but no more leg room and i think the boot is actually smaller in volume.

The Honda HR-V (turbo) mentioned above came out in Nov 2018, so again, back to your budget as to whether or not it is a viable choice.

Upgrading from a Honda Jazz (new used car advice) - John F

The Peugeot 3008 is quite a big car. The Peugeot 2008 is a bit bigger than a Jazz and has a much better load area. The new model has just come out so you should find a newish old model at a bargain price (as we have just done!). I suggest going for the 1.2 puretech 130bhp (not the lower powered versions) with the reliable Aisin derived EAT6 auto box, which is the same sort of torque converter as ZF's 6HP tiptronic boxes used in Porsches,Audis, BMWs etc.. This powertrain has been around for some time now and so far seems to be durable. And if you ever run into trouble, the French, especially the provincials, can be quite parochial, so having a French car might help!

Edited by John F on 14/07/2020 at 17:19

The Peugeot 2008 is a bit bigger than a Jazz and has a much better load area.

The boot of the 2008 may well be a little bit bigger than the Jazz's, but it is only better by dint of being that little bit bigger. Otherwise, the design of the 2008's boot is no better at all. They both have a flat boot floor with little or no intrusions, they both have no 'lip' to lift stuff over, and they both have rear seats which fold completely flat.

So while the 2008 with that engine/gearbox combo would suit the OP's driving needs better than a Jazz, there is very little difference otherwise.

Thanks for all the replies everyone

I Liked the 2008 but I agree it’s not much of an upgrade From the Jazz. I think we’re I get a Peugeot it be the 3008

The question I have about French cars is the quality of the gearbox. I have only driven manuals but the French don’t really like autos which is why 90% of the cars are stick shift. So I wonder how they are since the French don’t drive them

The HR-v seems to tick alot boxes for me But the reviews have only been lukewarm. Also it seems expensive for a subcompact SUV, the CR-v is only a few grand more and has more favorable reviews

i guess that brings me to another question. I’m a single father living alone with my 5 year old girl. Do I need a compact or a subcompact. Maybe a compact is too big?

Ill also mention 2 more...the VW Tiguan and the Toyota RAV4 .

Budget is no more than 25k Euros. But I want used not new

I like German cars but I hear the DSG box is not reliable. Toyota has a reputation of being solid cars

Edited by Mmarsh1972 on 14/07/2020 at 20:30

Thanks for all the replies everyone

I Liked the 2008 but I agree it’s not much of an upgrade From the Jazz. I think we’re I get a Peugeot it be the 3008

The question I have about French cars is the quality of the gearbox. I have only driven manuals but the French don’t really like autos which is why 90% of the cars are stick shift. So I wonder how they are since the French don’t drive them

The HR-v seems to tick alot boxes for me But the reviews have only been lukewarm. Also it seems expensive for a subcompact SUV, the CR-v is only a few grand more and has more favorable reviews

i guess that brings me to another question. I’m a single father living alone with my 5 year old girl. Do I need a compact or a subcompact. Maybe a compact is too big?

Ill also mention 2 more...the VW Tiguan and the Toyota RAV4 .

Budget is no more than 25k Euros. But I want used not new

I like German cars but I hear the DSG box is not reliable. Toyota has a reputation of being solid cars

With that budget you should easily get into a current shape 3008 1.2 turbo petrol auto. Usefully more boot space than the Jazz and the 130bhp engine should offer enough grunt. I'd probably be looking in that direction first.

The HR-V turbo mentioned earlier, as far as i could see on Autotrader, start off above £20k, so not sure if you'd get into one even if you wanted it.

I'd be wary of the Tiguan because of concerns over the DSG box, but the RAV4 is a solid choice, if a bit of a jump in size. Might be worth considering a hybrid version too (assuming you weren't already).

Upgrading from a Honda Jazz (new used car advice) - MGspannerman

Could I suggest you consider the Suzuki Vitara, or the slightly larger S Cross? The 1.4 petrol boosterjet engine coupled with the six speed auto is considered very reliable and a good combination. Both my brothers have one, an auto and a manual. Very affordable too within the budget you suggest and up there with Toyota and Honda in terms of reliability.

Upgrading from a Honda Jazz (new used car advice) - veloceman
Jeep Compass.
170 bhp. Average dynamics but extreme comfortable.
TCT gearbox extremely reliable.
Upgrading from a Honda Jazz (new used car advice) - John F

As I mentioned, the well regarded EAT6 (and the latest EAT8) autoboxes are from Aisin. You might not know the name but they are a Japanese gearbox manufacturer with a rock-solid reputation up there with ZF. It's usually best if car makers get their gearboxes from gearbox makers rather than trying to make them themselves.

the French don’t really like autos which is why 90% of the cars are stick shift.

Just Googled 'cars for sale in France'. First result was ooyyo.com, out of 573,657 cars for sale 193,290 are auto, 316,182 are manual, 715 semi-auto and 63,470 listed as N/A.

Change the search to cars no older than 2016 and there are 123,671 auto, 147,393 manual, 624 semi-auto and 43,078 N/A. So even assuming the cars listed as N/A are all manual, that still only makes 65% of the total cars for sale manual.

Upgrading from a Honda Jazz (new used car advice) - Alby Back
I have to assume that our Qashqai doesn't read Internet forums. Had it ten years and 90,000 miles without faults. ;-)
Upgrading from a Honda Jazz (new used car advice) - thunderbird
I have to assume that our Qashqai doesn't read Internet forums. Had it ten years and 90,000 miles without faults. ;-)

Same as our 2006 Focus 1.6 TDCi. 12 years and over 100,000 miles and other than tyres, auxiliary belt, front brake pads (twice) and a battery (and service parts of course) totally original.

According to this Forum they all explode.

Upgrading from a Honda Jazz (new used car advice) - Avant

Alby, your Qashqai dates fron before Nissan's tie-up with Renault. I'm not surprised you're hanging on to it.

Yes, there are still good ones, and there are good Renaults. But the chances of getting an unreliable example of either make are too high.

Upgrading from a Honda Jazz (new used car advice) - alan1302

Alby, your Qashqai dates fron before Nissan's tie-up with Renault. I'm not surprised you're hanging on to it.

Yes, there are still good ones, and there are good Renaults. But the chances of getting an unreliable example of either make are too high.

Nissan and Renault came together in 1999 - the Qashqai came out in 2006.

Upgrading from a Honda Jazz (new used car advice) - Avant

I didn't realise that it was as long ago as that. Did they start using common components as soon as that? I didn't think that the original Qashqai owed anything to Renault.

Upgrading from a Honda Jazz (new used car advice) - alan1302

I didn't realise that it was as long ago as that. Did they start using common components as soon as that? I didn't think that the original Qashqai owed anything to Renault.

Now that I don't know

Upgrading from a Honda Jazz (new used car advice) - Metropolis.
According to Wikipedia the mk1 Qashqai was on the Renault-Nissan C Platform which included the following:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault–Nissan_C_platform

2003 Renault Mégane Mk.II
2003 Renault Scénic Mk.II
2008 Renault Koleos
2008 Renault Mégane Mk.III
2008 Renault Kangoo Mk.II (hybrid Scénic II/Mégane III platform), also known as Mercedes-Benz Citan
2009 Renault Scénic Mk.III
2009 Renault Fluence
Nissan Edit
2004 Nissan Lafesta
2005-present Nissan Serena/Suzuki Landy
2006 Nissan Qashqai
2007 Nissan Sentra B16
2007 Nissan X-Trail T31 (Mk.II)
2008 Nissan Rogue
Venucia Edit
2014 Venucia T70
2015 Venucia T70X
2016 Venucia T90
Renault Samsung Edit
2008 Renault Samsung QM5
2009 Renault Samsung New SM3
Upgrading from a Honda Jazz (new used car advice) - focussed

I'm an American single dad Living in France With a single daughter.

And -

The only other requirements for a new car Are it must be petrol (diesels are about to become illegal in cars)

Where on earth did you get the idea that diesels are about to become illegal in France?

Any legislation that prescribed that in France would result in civil war.

I live in France as well.

Buy a car that uses whatever fuel you like.

In France- the government is afraid of the people.

In the UK and USA the people are afraid of the government.

Upgrading from a Honda Jazz (new used car advice) - Moodyman

There's a few things going on with Diesel in France. No new diesel (and petrol) cars from 2040 and Paris has already banned diesel cars older than 13 years from the centre.

So, I can see how a misunderstanding has arisen.

Correct and that ban on older Diesels will be countrywide in a few years (around 2024). My elderly parents are in the process of giving up their beloved 2004 Renault Scenic II Diesel because of this.

And I suspect the government will do other things to convince people to change.

Diesels have no clear future in France, hence why I think its wiser to stick to Petrol.