What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Squeaking noise above 30mph Ford Focus - Cronin Wales
Hi all hope someone may be able to shed some light for me:

Ford Focus, 2012, 1.6 petrol with just over 60k on clock.

Recently serviced (oil change) in March 20, timing belt and pump changed Sept 19.

Recently, when driving over 30mph I experience a squeaking noise, quite slight (can be hidden by a low volume conversation in the car). It is not heard at low speeds below 30mph. Sounds like it is coming from front of car inside the air con or even in engine bay... I’ve had a general google search and all sorts of areas come up from brakes to belts.

Anyone else experienced similar at a similar age of their Focus or Ford? I’m going to get it diagnosed next week but any pre thoughts very welcome! Thank you
Ford Focus - Squeaking noise above 30mph Ford Focus - John F

Is it an intermittent squeak or a persistent squeal? What is the frequency? Is it variable and if so please describe. Impossible to suggest a diagnosis with so little information. But my first thought is that it's the result of a cack-handed mechanic messing with a well built sturdy reliable engine which had no need of timing belt change or a replacement water pump unless it was leaking. Our Xreg family Focus 1.6 petrol is well over twice that age and mileage, has never been interfered with apart from visual belt inspections and oil changes, and has no suspicious leaks or squeaks.

It is a slight squeak, always only above 30mph, does not happen at lower speeds at all. Happens every 2-3 seconds it is not persistent/constant. As if it comes and goes every few seconds, as if something is slipping perhaps?

Timing belt replacement was over 6 months ago, maybe unrelated? I'm going to top up all fluids and check around the engine for anything obvious today before going to mechanic next week.

Ford Focus - Squeaking noise above 30mph Ford Focus - Andrew-T

Can you locate it better with the bonnet up and engine running? Just possibly an overtight belt or failing tensioner ?

Can't hear the noise or any other abnormal noise when engine running and bonnet up. Checked standing outside and sitting inside. Only happens when driving above 30...

Ford Focus - Squeaking noise above 30mph Ford Focus - bathtub tom

I'd be looking for something 'flapping in the breeze'. Undertray, grille etc?

What happens if you switch the engine off, or put it in neutral above 30?

Edited by bathtub tom on 16/05/2020 at 20:02

Ford Focus - Squeaking noise above 30mph Ford Focus - Andrew-T

Does it vary with engine speed (not vehicle speed) ?