What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Flat batteries and unused cars - FoxyJukebox

I can't help noticing that on my street there must be close on 20/30 filthy cars, some with birds mess all over them, half flat tyres and goodness knows what else all over the bodywork and even under the bonnet.

Whilst not abandoned, they have clearly not been moved or started since the end of march. On average they are between five to eight years old.

With the slow return to work about to begin-I wonder how many flat battery, locked brakes and non starting callouts there might be in the next few days? If none-then isn't it amazing how modern cars can be left static for such a long period without any basic care and maintenance?

Flat batteries and unused cars - Andrew-T

If so, I guess most new(ish) cars will switch into Economy mode if nothing happens for a couple of weeks. My 25-year-old 306 has no alarm or other electric drain, so always starts after 3 weeks idle, but perhaps early 21st-century cars don't do that. If tyres have flattened it suggests the cars have not been checked for months.

Flat batteries and unused cars - Falkirk Bairn

Kwik-fit sold more batteries in April than in January according to one newspaper article.

Flat batteries and unused cars - Ian_SW

My 8 year old car still on its original battery hasn't moved, other than me pushing it around on the drive since mid March. I've put a reasonably intelligent battery charger on it a couple of times in that period. Both times, that has indicated the battery needs charging but isn't flat, and then within a few hours is back up to full charge.

It will be interesting to see if it starts when I do eventually need to use it again, and how long the battery lasts after that. Before this all started, the battery was already on borrowed time I think....

On other parts of the car, I've been surprised how little corrosion there is on the brake discs, which shows how dry the weather has been I suppose. Tyres are still at the correct pressure without me needing to add any air, shows how many people must run around with a slow puncture normally if cars which have been parked up for two months have flat tyres.

Flat batteries and unused cars - concrete

Luckily where we live I can give the car a decent run twice a week. Otherwise I would use my intelligent float charger from the caravan. Keeps the battery at a steady 14 volts. Modern cars do use battery power when not in use. The electronics are always 'on' so to speak. In readiness for you to use the vehicle. Monitoring systems and clocks etc are still powered, so over a longish period the battery will run down. Not necessarily a bad thing provided it doesn't get too low and damage a cell. After that it is a matter if time before replacement.

Cheers Concrete

It will be interesting to see if it starts when I do eventually need to use it again, and how long the battery lasts after that. Before this all started, the battery was already on borrowed time I think....

The battery in one's car can be a lottery (bottery?) I reckon. My 12-year-old Pug diesel still starts on its original battery, which surprises me rather. It doesn't sound as energetic as it used to, so each winter I wait for it to fail, but it doesn't. No complaints !

Flat batteries and unused cars - Maxime.

I've put a reasonably intelligent battery charger on it a couple of times in that period.

Forgive the question, but..what is a "reasonably intelligent" battery charger.

I've heard of intelligent battery chargers but...

Flat batteries and unused cars - Avant

From what the Government has been saying, it seems that we don't need to feel guilty about driving now. In the past weeks I've just been using the cars for shopping, but our nearest shops are 4 miles away so I've been going round various 'long ways' to get the engines warmed through.

The only proviso to that is that I wouldn't drive more than I had to if I couldn't change a wheel following a puncture. I'm not sure what strength the breakdown services are at, but I'd prefer not to trouble them unnecessarily.

Edited by Avant on 12/05/2020 at 17:00

Flat batteries and unused cars - alan1302

From what the Government has been saying, it seems that we don't need to feel guilty about driving now. In the past weeks I've just been using the cars for shopping, but our nearest shops are 4 miles away so I've been going round various 'long ways' to get the engines warmed through.

The only proviso to that is that I wouldn't drive more than I had to if I couldn't change a wheel following a puncture. I'm not sure what strength the emergency services are at, but I'd prefer not to trouble them unnecessarily.

Assume you mean the breakdown services not emergency services? At least with GreenFlag cover I had there is no change to the standard level of service they are providing...I expect with so many less cars on the road it may be they are quicker to get out to you.

(Thanks Alan - yes I did. Now edited.)

Edited by Avant on 12/05/2020 at 17:00

Flat batteries and unused cars - Will deBeast

...At least with GreenFlag cover I had there is no change to the standard level of service they are providing....)

I'm not sure they'd been keen on letting the family travel in the cab though, if the car had to be recovered.

Flat batteries and unused cars - alan1302

...At least with GreenFlag cover I had there is no change to the standard level of service they are providing....)

I'm not sure they'd been keen on letting the family travel in the cab though, if the car had to be recovered.

Yes, that is very true - had forgotten about that.

The only proviso to that is that I wouldn't drive more than I had to if I couldn't change a wheel following a puncture.

The other day I decided to have all wheels off the 207 to give them and the arches a pressure-wash. I had to take a tommy-bar to one wheel to release the bolts, so a roadside change would have created problems, even for the RAC. Glad I did the operation !

Flat batteries and unused cars - Trilogy.

I'm not sure what strength the breakdown services are at, but I'd prefer not to trouble them unnecessarily.

Had need to use Green Flag 4 weeks ago when keys got locked in my van. It locks itself! Green Flag arrived much faster than the operative estimated.

Flat batteries and unused cars - groaver

Two young cars (2 years old) both need regular charging according to the CTEK device. They take a number of hours before fully charged.

The 13 year old car was checked and didn't need a charge!

Those newer glass mat(?) batteries seem to need more maintenance.

Flat batteries and unused cars - groaver

Duplicate post.

Edited by groaver on 14/05/2020 at 19:27

Flat batteries and unused cars - Smileyman

At the weekend I thought it's about time to start the cars and shift the wheels a half turn, unfortunately Mrs S's car wouldn't start. I actually found the charger stashed away in the depths of the garage, not used it since I can't remember when. Anyway, 7 hours later and all was fine, I sat in the car for 15 minutes, revved the engine a few times to ensure it fully warmed up, waste of petrol but needs be. Certainly needs a wash, that's on the agenda for a later time.

Unlike my car which started which started immediately, still I made sure the engine was fully warmed up, took ages as the VW 1.0 engines are slow to warm up, car also needs a wash, again a job for another day.

Also took the opportunity to open and close all the doors but didn't bother with windows.

Earlier today I saw a report in an online newspaper that some unfortunates have suffered rodents taking up residency in their cars, engine bays for instance; where I live seagulls are more of a problem, thankfully there are no nests on the cars (would be illegal to disturb!).

Take them out for a drive, and enjoy.

Flat batteries and unused cars - Falkirk Bairn

Once a week I have taken the car out for a 7/8 round trip - 1st time start, clean rust off rear discs etc etc

2 days ago a neighbour came to the door at 8am and asked me to move my car as they were having builders = clouds of dust. Moved car 10 yards down drive.

7pm I decided to move the car back - car proved difficult to start for the 1st time in 8 years ownership. After roughly 7/8 attempts the car started - the battery turned over the engine but it failed to fire. Plenty juice in the 2 year old battery.

However, I gave it a 8 mile trip to charge the battery again.

I do not understand what caused the problem - any ideas??

Flat batteries and unused cars - Simon

I do not understand what caused the problem - any ideas??

Yes, you most likely 'flooded' it, like the old days. Starting a modern car up, moving it 10 yds and switching it off whilst it is in the warm up stage doesn't do it any good. When you came to restart it they can take some cranking over and over till the engine sorts itself out and fires again properly. Once it's been running for a few minutes it should be fine. I'm sure someone can give you a more technical explanation.

Flat batteries and unused cars - Smileyman

I used to have a similar problem with my previous car, if started from cold and then switched off within a very short period of time next time it would be difficult to get to start. The solution I used was to run for a minute or two even if just moving a few yards, I came to the same conclusion, engine had been flooded.

Flat batteries and unused cars - ZionWill

Relax with them, everything will be fine. It’s not a person when it’s hard to do something with no habit. A car is a car and it has its own life)

Edited by ZionWill on 25/05/2020 at 12:20

We seem to have one or two new bored visitors .... ?

Flat batteries and unused cars - Engineer Andy

We seem to have one or two new bored visitors .... ?

...and how long until the inevitable spam link follows from that new 'member.'..

Zion Will, if you've nothing helpful to say, don't say anything at all.

Flat batteries and unused cars - John F

Don't worry about a flat battery, just disconnect it - and over-inflate the tyres. Last week the TR7 had its monthly 'run' for a few yards in our cul-de-sac to entertain the neighbours by celebrating its 40th birthday (delivered 12th May, birth registered 19th May 1980). Worth a bottle of cava after the NHS clap!

When you're feeling better, John, take the TR7 out for a 20-mile run just for the sake of it, and enjoy. Life begins at 40....

Flat batteries and unused cars - John F

wilco, Avant. I have a sinking feeling that this excellent but often derided car might outlast me!