Toyota Camry - Would you change coolant hoses - JoeB

My 1999 Toyota Camry has covered about 300k miles. It still runs well and is trouble free. Uses no oil or water. I hope to keep it maybe another 5 years.

The coolant hoses are all original. They look and feel fine but they are 20 years old. Would you change them? Also would you change just the top and bottom hoses or also the other small-bore hoses to the heater and throttle body etc ? I am nervous that one might burst and overheat the engine. I think that's about the only thing that could kill it.

Coolant is clean and pink.

Toyota Camry - Would you change coolant hoses - Peter.N.

If they look OK they probably are. Hoses are made of superior materials to those 30 or 40 years ago and last possibly 10 times as long, unfortunately they are also about 10 times the price in real terms. If you are considering changing them - enquire the price first!

Toyota Camry - Would you change coolant hoses - gordonbennet

It would or should be cheap enough to change the heater hoses, assuming they don't have any clever joins just a case of buying a length of the right bore and cutting to suit.

Top and bottom type hoses might be really expensive and probably main dealer only, you could remove and check the insides of the those for deterioration, but if anything is going to give way i suggest it would be hoses that pass near to the exhaust where heat is the problem.

As Peter.N. says it's not like those old hoses we had on 60/70's cars which to be fair didn't need to last long because tin worm ate the rest of the car anyway.

Toyota Camry - Would you change coolant hoses - John F

As Peter.N. says it's not like those old hoses we had on 60/70's cars which to be fair didn't need to last long because tin worm ate the rest of the car anyway.

Leave them alone! The hoses and fan belt on my 1980 TR7 will be 40yrs old this year. The bottom hose still has the remains of the original red white and blue paper 'unipart' sticker stuck on it. Engines of intelligent observant drivers are hardly ever killed by a sudden massive loss of coolant (hot little modern turbos perhaps excepted). It is gradual loss from tiny leaks that used to catch people out before the days of coolant level sensors.

Edited by John F on 02/02/2020 at 08:41

Toyota Camry - Would you change coolant hoses - JoeB

Leave them alone! The hoses and fan belt on my 1980 TR7 will be 40yrs old this year. The bottom hose still has the remains of the original red white and blue paper 'unipart' sticker stuck on it. Engines of intelligent observant drivers are hardly ever killed by a sudden massive loss of coolant (hot little modern turbos perhaps excepted). It is gradual loss from tiny leaks that used to catch people out before the days of coolant level sensors.

How much do you use your TR7 though? My Camry is used as a daily hack and I quite often do 400+ mile trips. It has 300k miles. I have no coolant level sensor, just a temp guage.

Toyota Camry - Would you change coolant hoses - John F

How much do you use your TR7 though?

At least every two weeks - more often in the summer. It has never been 'off the road' for any significant length of time. But it has only done a mere 70,000 miles. However, I don't think that high mileage would accelerate hose deterioration. It would take millions of miles/hours of water flow to erode the inner surface!