What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
A scrap yard (ATF) somewhere has put my reg plate - Taylor

Really annoyed to get a refund of road tax through.

Called the DVLA, they tell me an Authorised Treatment Faciltiy (ATF) has entered my reg plate as the car scrapped.

Now I can't drive my car it until it's proved that it's still on my drive and I own it.

By email it'll be two working days, so that'll be Tuesday, before I get a reply about it.

This is mostly letting off steam but please add any comments, info, advice if you have it

A scrap yard (ATF) somewhere has put my reg plate - Galaxy

This is an interesting one. You wouldn't think it was possible for such a thing to happen but it obviously has. I expect someone at the ATF has entered a reg no one digit wrong and, unfortunately, the number they've entered happens to be yours!

Couldn't you contact the ATF yourself, explain what has happened, and ask them to contact the DVLA on your behalf to get it sorted out? They must have better access to the DVLA than you have.

Edited by Galaxy on 08/03/2019 at 11:34

A scrap yard (ATF) somewhere has put my reg plate - gordonbennet

A good idea Galaxy, but i bet 'data protection' won't allow our OP to know the name or location of the ham fisted clot.

I don't have the ATF details, as I haven't used them. The DVLA have requested lots of photos of the car and car documents and I'm currently sorting that out.

My car is a Ford Galaxy btw - so a very suitable user ID

A scrap yard (ATF) somewhere has put my reg plate - Galaxy

My car is a Ford Galaxy btw - so a very suitable user ID

Ha, Ha, that's very good!

You would need to ask the DVLA who the ATF facility was who made the error though I probably fear, as gordonbennet has suggested, that they probably wouldn't be willing to tell you due to the Data Protection Act!

If you are taking photos then I would think it might be a good idea to take a picture of your car with a copy of a current daily newspaper laid out on the bonnet.

Edited by Galaxy on 08/03/2019 at 13:26

A scrap yard (ATF) somewhere has put my reg plate - sammy1

Why can you not drive your car, it is physically on your drive and obvious to any intelligent person or bobby that it has not been scrapped. The road tax technicality is not of your doing and you are already in the process or sorting it out.

Have you specifically been told not to drive it by the DVLA? I expect you are not alone.

The car in the crusher will probably stay as a valid car on the road until the tax and MOT run out!

A scrap yard (ATF) somewhere has put my reg plate - skidpan

Surely when the car is scrapped the V5C is sent to the DVLA signed confirming that it has been scrapped.

Thus it is possible that the OP's car has been cloned or the OP's car is the clone.

If the owner of the vehicle does not notify the DVLA that the vehicle has been taken to an ATF they are liable for a £1000 fine.

This could get very messy and very expensive for the OP.

A scrap yard (ATF) somewhere has put my reg plate - catsdad
What a nightmare. I agree with the OP on not driving it meantime. The problem with the automated Kafkaesque camera and tax systems is that you could have a whole lot of grief before an "intelligent person" gets involved.

My limited experience of DVLA is that they are pretty efficient and will sort this out. After all millions of cars are scrapped every year so mistakes like this must happen daily.