What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz vs Skoda Fabia. Which is best?! - Starman999

I'm in the market for a used car with about £4,500 to spend. For me it's a toss up between a Honda Jazz or Skoda Fabia. I like the extra room of the Jazz, I very slightly prefer the way the Fabias drive. I will get a newer/lower mileage Fabia for the same money.

As a very approximate perceived average of what's out there, it seems that £4,500 will buy me a 13 plate Fabia that's done 50k, or a 60 plate Jazz that's done 60k

Any thoughts/preferences?

Honda Jazz vs Skoda Fabia. Which is best?! - Big John

The Jazz is a fantastic and reliable car with those superb magic rear seats (my sister bought one to carry a double bass). With the Jazz check the rear wheelarches and rear inner wings for any rust and make sure you are happy with the way it drives - engine can be a touch revvy on a motorway.

I must admit I was having problems finding Fabia's as cheap as you mentioned however they are still a good car. I'd avoid the 1.2 htp but the 1.2tsi whist an issue when older has been about sorted by this age. The 1.4 16v is a simpler cambelt engine that seems to last reasonably (my Octavia 1.416v with the same engine is OK at 18 years old and 130k miles)

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181116247...1

Still like the Jazz though...

Edited by Big John on 16/02/2019 at 23:32

Honda Jazz vs Skoda Fabia. Which is best?! - badbusdriver

For your budget, out of those two, it would be the Jazz for me all day long. I'm sure if you get the right engine (such as the one Big John gives a link to), the Fabia would be fine, but there are quite a few engines i'd want to avoid. Such as early TSI's which can cause problems re the timing chain, the baisc 3 cyl models which are both very slow and, i believe, unreliable. With the Jazz of that budget, you have two engine choices, both of which are extremely reliable and even the lower powered 1.2 has 89bhp (which is more than the 1.4 in Big John's ad). Add to that, the more spacious cabin, bigger boot and the brilliant 'magic seats'.

But i'd also open up your search to include the Toyota Yaris (1.33), the Mazda 2 and the Suzuki Swift, all of which i'd have over a Fabia. The Yaris has a similar sized cabin to the Jazz, but the boot is more Fabia sized. The Mazda is slightly smaller, but fun to drive and very reliable, same goes for the Swift.

BTW, my quick Autotrader search reveals quite a few 2012 Jazz for £4.5k not to mention a couple of 2013 cars.

Honda Jazz vs Skoda Fabia. Which is best?! - barney100

Bloke I know has a 1.2 Fabia with well over 300k on the clock so they seem like a good longterm bet.

Honda Jazz vs Skoda Fabia. Which is best?! - Engineer Andy

Bloke I know has a 1.2 Fabia with well over 300k on the clock so they seem like a good longterm bet.

It depends which one they've got: many of the 1.2s had issues (not just the DSG), as described in the Good & Bad section of the reviews for the 2007-15 model:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/skoda/fabia-2007/goo.../

Honda Jazz vs Skoda Fabia. Which is best?! - badbusdriver

Well if you believe our resident ex motor trader SLO, this could well be the exception. According to him, they are not that reliable.

Honda Jazz vs Skoda Fabia. Which is best?! - NARU

My wife still regrets selling her Jazz. The magic seats make it incredibly versatile.

Just listen for a whine from the gearbox bearings in first gear. They can be replaced but it costs about £600.

Honda Jazz vs Skoda Fabia. Which is best?! - SLO76
The Jazz is the more economical, more reliable car that’ll also be easier to sell on when you’re done with it. The 1.4 is the better car and is no less economical than the flaccid 1.2 on the road but offers better performance and spec. The only worries with these revolve around worn or juddering clutches and poor paint repairs otherwise they’re pretty bulletproof.

But I don’t think it’s wise to limit yourself to only two options. Would you really walk past a mint Mazda 2 or Fiesta (both petrol) to get a higher mileage Jazz or a less reliable Fabia neither of which drives as nicely?

I’d open up your search a bit. A Fiesta 1.25/1.4/1.6 petrol uses an excellent Yamaha designed engine and offers Japanese reliability with a much nicer drive. The Mazda 2 shares the Fiestas entertaining handling but uses a very robust chain driven engine and a Yaris is also better to drive than the Jazz but offers similar reliability and economy. Avoid diesels of any make.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190216500...1

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181129285...5

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190212486...5

Edited by SLO76 on 17/02/2019 at 09:31

Honda Jazz vs Skoda Fabia. Which is best?! - Starman999

Thanks for the thoughts! It seems the Jazz is the winner!

Honda Jazz vs Skoda Fabia. Which is best?! - madf

I have driven a 21012 CVT Jazz since 2012.

Totally unexciting,

totally reliable.

Great turning circle. under 10m..

Very easy to drive.

Takes 5 adults with ease

Harsh suspension over bumps.

Carries LOTS of things very easily. Loading/unloading easy - flat floor and low boot lip.

Son has a 2013 year Yaris (1.3SR). Better to drive. As reliable. Better ride.But dire space inside.Not flat boot floor, higher lip..

Edited by madf on 18/02/2019 at 15:02

Honda Jazz vs Skoda Fabia. Which is best?! - Warning

I hired a Skoda Fabia on holiday, it was n't a great car to drive. Seat were uncomfortable on long journeys and it was a car which drained me out and made me tired. Nothing special. No idea, why it gets great reviews.

Honda Jazz vs Skoda Fabia. Which is best?! - skidpan

I hired a Skoda Fabia on holiday, it was n't a great car to drive. Seat were uncomfortable on long journeys and it was a car which drained me out and made me tired. Nothing special. No idea, why it gets great reviews.

We have a Fabia, bought it new May 2018, had it almost 10 months. Its the 1.0 TSi 110 PS version with SE-L trim. All I can say is so far we have found it good to drive with an excellent engine that combines power with economy, comfortable seats and low noise levels making it relaxing on longish trips.

Suppose that is why it gets great reviews.

Dad had a Honda Jazz for 5 years. It was totally reliable but the ride was very firm, the steering strangely remote, noise levels were quite high and the seats were very poor and supportive. He was not sorry to see it go.

The Jazz has always got OK reviews but is known to be reliable, dads experiences confirmed that.

He replaced it with a Nissan Micra 1.2. Other than space (which was enough - he would not have bought it otherwise) it beat the Honda on every count and was equally reliable. Shame the Micra model that replaced it was a 1/2 hearted attempt and the current one is stupidly expensive.