What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vectra 3.2 auto estate - want a cheap fast estate - bananastand

Couple of years ago had a Vectra 3.2 estate. Great car, cost £1700, had over 2 years or so totally trouble free driving, fast, very roomy, comfy, leather, auto, not too bad on juice. A bus wrote it off, just after I had the cambelt done on 80,000 miles GRRRR. Looking back I should have bought it back off the insurer and put it back on the road. ANYWAY...

I need another roomy estate, prefer petrol, roominess, speed. a bit like a Vectra 3.2 really. Presently in a Saab convertible and it's the devil's job getting baby seats in the back!

Are Audis, Mercs, BMWs overpriced? I've never bought them.

I had a Volvo once and I find them a bit cramped, should I give them another go?

Who have I missed out... Skoda? Oh yeah then there's Honda, Toyota and that crowd.

Another Saab... friend of mine has an auto Saab and it's the thirstiest car I've ever seen.

SWMBO refuses to countenance Ford.

THANKYOUPLEASE

Vectra 3.2 auto estate - want a cheap fast estate - RT

Try a Skoda Superb estate - not many around with a V6 though

I like that skoda V6 but they need to drop in price - a lot. They're all well over £10k. Great motor tho

Vectra 3.2 auto estate - want a cheap fast estate - skidpan

I like that skoda V6 but they need to drop in price - a lot. They're all well over £10k. Great motor tho

Just looked on Autotrader, found 4 under £2000.

might be a different car to the one I saw, I looked at the 3.6 V6

Vectra 3.2 auto estate - want a cheap fast estate - Alanovich

Huh? The cheapest petrol Superb estate on autotrader.co.uk is £4995.

yes I know but I was looking at 3.6 engine ones

Vectra 3.2 auto estate - want a cheap fast estate - Alanovich

I was questioning skidpan's assertion that there are petrol engined Skoda Superb estates on autotrader for under £4k. There are none, the cheapest one available is £4995. The cheapest 3.6 is £7999. So why he's saying there are 4 under £2k is a mystery to me.

I was questioning skidpan's assertion that there are petrol engined Skoda Superb estates on autotrader for under £4k. There are none, the cheapest one available is £4995. The cheapest 3.6 is £7999. So why he's saying there are 4 under £2k is a mystery to me.

I found 4 V6 Superbs at under £2k earlier today. I doubt if they have all been sold. They are not 3.6's think they were 2.8's.

Bananastand could not find any under £10k earlier in the post.

Looks like the Autotrader site is a bit flaky at best.

Edited by skidpan on 07/11/2018 at 16:34

Vectra 3.2 auto estate - want a cheap fast estate - badbusdriver

You found 4 V6 Superb estates for under £2k?

Where did I say anything about estates?

Where did I say anything about estates?

Look at the title of the thread, the 'fast estate' part is a bit of a giveaway, which is what the OP is after. The price of the Skoda Superb was being discussed only as a V6 estate, so when you piped in that you'd seen 4 on Autotrader under £2k, why would anyone assume you were talking about anything other than a Superb V6 estate?.

I answered the post that said

"I like that skoda V6 but they need to drop in price - a lot. They're all well over £10k. Great motor tho"

No mention of estate there.

I answered the post that said

"I like that skoda V6 but they need to drop in price - a lot. They're all well over £10k. Great motor tho"

No mention of estate there.

No mention of estate on a thread titled "want cheap fast estate"?.

The post you answered was from the OP, i think given he started the thread on cheap fast estates it would be fair for him to assume members answering would know what the thread was about and what he was looking for without having to mention the word estate clearly on every post. And indeed, his post, which you answered, was in itself replying to a post from RT which says, "try a Skoda Superb estate-not many around with the V6 though"

But hey ho, i would not expect you to admit were not paying attention to what the thread was about or what the OP is looking for.

Edited by badbusdriver on 08/11/2018 at 11:05

Vectra 3.2 auto estate - want a cheap fast estate - nellyjak

..and your maximum budget would be.?

Edited by nellyjak on 07/11/2018 at 10:57

about £2500 with a trade in

Not asking for much am I (!!!!)

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181018161...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181031199...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181103210...2

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181001104...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181024179...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180713841...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181025184...1

Vectra 3.2 auto estate - want a cheap fast estate - veryoldbear

An old Saab 9-5 estate (mostly Vectra) will be thirsty but a good one will probably have zero depreciation.

nice job thanks driver

Vectra 3.2 auto estate - want a cheap fast estate - Alby Back
I have a friend who's wife "won't let him" have a Mondeo estate even though that's what he'd like. When quizzed on why she objects to Fords, it turns out ( and I promise you I'm not kidding here ) that her father had an Anglia in the '60s which gave him a few reliability problems !

No amount of reassurances that a recent model Mondeo is a very different beast to her father's car from half a century ago can persuade her.

Just goes to show how long mud sticks eh?
Vectra 3.2 auto estate - want a cheap fast estate - elekie&a/c doctor

They don't get much quicker than these; www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mondeo-3-0i-V6-ST200-225-B...0

Vectra 3.2 auto estate - want a cheap fast estate - SLO76
I’d lower the performance levels a tad and aim for reliability over speed. A good Mazda 6 2.0, Toyota Avensis 2.0 VVT or Honda Accord 2.0/2.4 all petrol are decent options under £3k
Vectra 3.2 auto estate - want a cheap fast estate - Avant

Could be worth considering a Superb hatch - there's still lots of room, and of course putting a baby-seat in will be the same as for the estate. You'd get a newer hatch than an estate fir your budget, as they're less popular.

Vectra 3.2 auto estate - want a cheap fast estate - pd

Volvo V50 T5 should be in budget. Nice 5 cylinder engine and plenty of go in a Volvo sort of way. Might not be big enough.

Jaguar X-Type 3.0 will be about but check rust and d*****ine noises.

Newer shape Mazda 6 2.5 will soon be in budget.

Accord 2.4 mentioned above is a good shout as well. Much nicer than the 2.0 and marginally different on fuel.

Edited by pd on 08/11/2018 at 08:06

After the mention of the Superb hatchback, it got me thinking and wondering if a big hatchback would do?. Most have similar boot floorspace to the estate, the only real loss of space would be above the window line. So i went back to Autotrader and found a few others worthy of consideration (if a hatchback would do). This Mondeo stuck out straight away as it seems such a bargain,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181003112...1

I also wondered about the Insignia, but the only fast petrol seems to be this ex Police 2.0 turbo SRI (217bhp),

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180926090...1

Going on to the Vectra, this stood out as being even more of a bargain than the Mondeo. Not bad for near 250bhp, suspiciously cheap?,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180712837...1

The other option which sprung to mind, if a hatchback was viable, is the Skoda Octavia VRS. They do have a smaller cabin than the Mondeo etc, but a vast boot. Might have to spend a wee bit more than your £2.5k budget, but this looks OK,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180420574...1

thanks driver, some excellent suggestions all round. I'll bookmark this for when the time comes to swap.

Vectra 3.2 auto estate - want a cheap fast estate - John F

I'd be looking for an A6 Avant. I had a saloon for many years and it was exemplary; only sold it (for a song) because I found a better car I particularly wanted. They are galvanised and very well built, and there lots available under £3000 - admittedly mostly with high miles - which is a tribute to their longevity. Avoid the multitronics, though!

Vectra 3.2 auto estate - want a cheap fast estate - SteveLee

Ford Mondeo ST220 estate. The most kit, very reliable, great handling. Similarly (similar engine) Jag x-type 3.0, just change the transfer box oil every 30K.

Edited by SteveLee on 11/11/2018 at 23:42

Vectra 3.2 auto estate - want a cheap fast estate - RT

There wasn't an automatic version on the Jaguar X-type estate 4wd - not when I looked anyway - and it's not as big as a Vectra-C estate as that has a 100mm wheelbase extension compared to saloon/hatch.

Edited by RT on 12/11/2018 at 07:52