What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Good lowish insurance group car for large young driver - Big John

The time has come for my 22yr old son to run his own car due to starting a post degree new job. For the moment he will take on my owned from new 17 year old 126k miles Skoda Octavia that has been well maintained and is MOt'd until March but I'm not sure it will make it through the new test next year (EML issue - caused possibly by EGR etc - not affecting running or economy & minor oil leak)

Budget - circa £5k and probably petrol

So starting to investigate what next. There is one BIG problem - he is even taller than me at 6ft 5" where a lot of that height is leg length. With some cars including the Octavia III we're finding the B is too far forward (puts your elbow in the middle of the B pillar not on the door arm rest - hasn't been an issue on the Octavia I). Some cars the drivers seat just doesn't go far enough back eg Honda! Some cars feel that everything touches when you a large person eg Ford Focus

Possibilities thus far, Golf 3dr, or would you believe Citigo or Up 3dr (I think it may be too small though for up and down the motorway)

I ended up buying my Superb II to fit myself in and he likes driving it although he complains in this weather that the air con freezes his hands to the steering wheel! I could pass this on to him but Insurance still a bit crazy for a 22 year old (The Octavia is cheap because it's just the 75ps 1.416v)

This forum suggested a Honda Jazz a few years ago as an idea for my sister who is not quite as tall (6ft) but needed to carry a double bass - which she now owns and loves. Sadly he find the front leg room tight in it.

Any stage left ideas for a lowish insurance car that would suit a large 6ft 5", passengers and luggage?

Thanks , Bigjohn..

Edited by Big John on 05/08/2018 at 23:31

Good lowish insurance group car for large young driver - SLO76
Honda Civic 1.4 ? Model from 06-11 is a good sub £5k buy with few vices. They’re pretty spacious but he’ll need to try it to see if he’ll fit. Early cars used the 1.3 motor from the Mk I Jazz and are a bit flat but later 1.4 VTEC is a good little motor.

Edited by SLO76 on 05/08/2018 at 23:38

Honda Civic 1.4 ? Model from 06-11 is a good sub £5k buy with few vices. They’re pretty spacious but he’ll need to try it to see if he’ll fit. Early cars used the 1.3 motor from the Mk I Jazz and are a bit flat but later 1.4 VTEC is a good little motor.

Sat in the Civic it seemed a bit limited on front legroom even for me - at only 6ft 4" but shorter legs. There is enough room behind it's just that the seat won't go back enoguh. Shame because those magic rear seats are brill. Previous model OK but they are getting on a bit now.

I went to try the new HRV (for me) and found that restricting.

Edited by Big John on 05/08/2018 at 23:50

Good lowish insurance group car for large young driver - Avant

I hesitate to recommend a Vauxhall to anyone, but on the occasions when I've driven one, the driving position is always too low for me at 5'7". So with the point about the B-pillar in mind, what about a 3-door Astra? Worth a look to see if it'll fit Big Johnson.

I drove a hire one a while ago and it was reasonable. Some of Vauxhall's engines haven't been the best of late although I've owned a few in the past (A Viva, VX 4/90 and 2 mkII Astra's)

Suspect 3 door cars may be key here , except for something as large as the Superb (probably out of bounds due to insurance)

Good lowish insurance group car for large young driver - SLO76
Quite a challenge this one. A large car that’s cheap to insure for a limited budget that will be reliable.
Guess it’s just a case of sitting in a few and seeing what he fits in then get insurance quotes. Few spring to mind but can’t say what’ll suit without parking behind the wheel.

Mazda 6 1.8/2.0 petrol
Ford Mondeo 2.0 petrol
Honda Accord 2.0 petrol
Toyota Avensis 1.8 petrol
Honda CRV 2.0 petrol
Good lowish insurance group car for large young driver - Chris M

My eldest son is 6'4" and long in the leg. He comfortably fits in his '59 Fiesta. My son is of normal build and has no problem with the B pillar. I know SLO approves of the 1.25 & 1.4 petrol models and insurance will be affordable.

Good lowish insurance group car for large young driver - Andrew-T

<< Sat in the Civic it seemed a bit limited on front legroom even for me - at only 6ft 4" but shorter legs. There is enough room behind it's just that the seat won't go back enoguh. Shame because those magic rear seats are brill. Previous model OK but they are getting on a bit now. >>

Don't know anything about Civics, but might it be mechanically possible to refit the front seat runners an inch or two further back (or only the driver seat) ?

Good lowish insurance group car for large young driver - badbusdriver

One of the previous VW bosses, i think it was Ferdinand Piech, was extremely tall, at least 6'5" if memory serves, he would ensure that he could comfortably sit in and drive each new model, otherwise they did not get signed off. My pal, who i think is about 6'3" owned a VW Lupo (1.7SDI) for many years and he had no problems fitting in it. Of course with him in the drivers seat, nobody could sit behind him!. So B pillar issues not withstanding, any VW should accomodate him fine. Of course which, in budget, would be best in terms of reliability and insurance cost is an entirely different matter.

Regarding moving the seat runners on a Civic, bearing in mind the fuel tank sits under the front seats, i think that might be more than a little tricky!.

Good lowish insurance group car for large young driver - Metropolis.

Most cars are actually big enough to accomodate taller drivers, the problem is usually the driver slouching in the seat, causing their knees to press up against the dashboard. 6'5" is tall but by no means gigantic by today's standards. Maybe consider something with electric seats, as these tend to have more adjustment, especially where headroom becomes an issue. You might be surprised at the cheapness of insurance for some cars, so don't go on insurance group alone. Going fully comp tends to be cheaper than 3rd party these days as well.

Good lowish insurance group car for large young driver - Ethan Edwards

Nissan Note about 2011 should do you fine. Huge space cheap to buy and run. A manual 1.4 should do nicely.

Good lowish insurance group car for large young driver - retgwte

Fiat Panda is very good for tall drivers

Good lowish insurance group car for large young driver - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I used to have a Mk2 Octavia, the B pillar was less obtrusive than my current Mk3. I've got used to it, being cautious at T junctions and anyway I don't use the armrest.

All of the VW group have plenty of leg room. A 3 door may be better for side visibility, but getting the seat belt on may be a more difficult stretch. Insurance depends on the risk of your area, my impression is that VW group is not cheap.

Good lowish insurance group car for large young driver - Avant

One more thought - it could be worth his while sitting in a Citroen Berlingo (or the Peugeot equivalent, whatever it's called - Partner or Tepee?) and trying it for size. There's so much headroom that he could sit more upright, and the B-pillar might be less of an issue.

Thanks for all the replies

Re "One of the previous VW bosses, i think it was Ferdinand Piech, was extremely tall, at least 6'5" if memory serves, he would ensure that he could comfortably sit in and drive each new model, "

That's probably why I gravitated towards VAG for years - and my son is taller and longer in the leg.

Re "Nissan Note about 2011 should do you fine. Huge space cheap to buy and run. A manual 1.4 should do nicely."

I like the Nissan Note especially the pre 63 plate model - Might be worth a look as some of the leg space is vertical (high up driving position)

"Fiat Panda is very good for tall drivers"

My wife has a Fiat Panda which my son has used a few times. He doesn't really fit and gets massive cramp after a few miles. He had to drive 100+ miles in it one weekend and it took him a few days to recover.

"One more thought - it could be worth his while sitting in a Citroen Berlingo"

He's a 22 year old, I don't think it would be his thing but I agree over the space.

" used to have a Mk2 Octavia, the B pillar was less obtrusive than my current Mk3. I've got used to it, being cautious at T junctions and anyway I don't use the armrest.

All of the VW group have plenty of leg room. A 3 door may be better for side visibility, but getting the seat belt on may be a more difficult stretch. Insurance depends on the risk of your area, my impression is that VW group is not cheap."

MKII Octavia worth a look, thinking about it I was impressed with the run-out model they did with the old fashioned 1.6 8v petrol. circa 2011 (just over £10k new) Not as economical but bullet proof oily bits and good value.

I suspect with the seat sooo far back reaching for the seat belt probably won't be that much of an issue with a 3dr

Edited by Big John on 11/08/2018 at 22:37