Ford Mondeo Mk 3 2.2 TDCI - Help! Cant drain coolant system - mcl896b

Happy new year!

I've got a problem, and while I'm fairly sure I'm not being a biff, I just want to check. I'vbe gor a 56 plate 2.2 TDCI Mondeo, and the coolant level is very low (below minimum). I'm trying to drain the coolant system to replace the coolant. MKy haynes manual says there is a coolant drain plug at the bottom of the radiator, but having spent a significant amount of time under the car, I can't seem to find it... Elsewhere I have seen that Ford may have deleted the drain as the coolant was supposed to last for the life of the car.

My questions are:

1) Does anyone know if my car has a coolant drain, and if so, where is it located?

2) If it doesn't, any suggestions as to how to drain the coolant system?

Many thanks in advance!

Al

Ford Mondeo Mk 3 2.2 TDCI - Help! Cant drain coolant system - Galaxy

Very unlikely your car will have a drain tap on the bottom of the radiator. These generally disappeared years ago.

Today you usually just pull the bottom hose off.

Ford Mondeo Mk 3 2.2 TDCI - Help! Cant drain coolant system - John F

Coolant should indeed last the life of the car. I have never ever replaced coolant (unless work had to be done involving the cooling system, e.g. rad damage, replacing water pump) - the average age of our cars is 22yrs. Why not just top it up and keep an eye on it?

Ford Mondeo Mk 3 2.2 TDCI - Help! Cant drain coolant system - thunderbird

Think the factory fit Ford coolant is 10 years between drains. Our dealer always used to check the properties at a service, at 6 years it was still well up to the job.

But remember its not just the antifreeze properies. It also lubricates the water pump, acts as a summer coolant and prevents corrosion in the engine.

Its ability to do all these gets less with age and I am pretty sure the tests only check the freeze point.

Changing it only costs a few pounds, indeed when the cam belt/waterpump are changed (on a 2 litre petrol) after 100,000 miles 10 years as per Fords schedule it gets changed anyway.

Ford Mondeo Mk 3 2.2 TDCI - Help! Cant drain coolant system - mcl896b

The coolant appears low, and as I haven't had the car from new and it does not have an FSH I have no idea if the coolant is ford or another brand. I'm worried if I just do a top up I'll do more damage.

Ford Mondeo Mk 3 2.2 TDCI - Help! Cant drain coolant system - bathtub tom

I used to syphon some out every year (into a yoghurt pot) and pop it in the freezer (-20c). If that came out liquid after an overnight stay, I assumed it would handle anything our climate could throw at it.

They only drawback to that is it doesn't check the corrosion inhibitor aspect of the stuff. I've learned lately (and experienced) that the corrosion inhibitors can 'settle out', particularly in thermo-syphon systems, leaving a sludge that can block the cooling system. As most cars have had water pumps in the last hundred years, this aspect isn't likely to bother many.