What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford focus tdi 1,8 2000 - rumbling noise - aslak lunn

Strong rumbling noise resembling a bad wheel hub bearing, it apeared slowly and got worser, it does not seem to be in tune with engine and is also there when clutched out. It can go a bit up and down also when driving very steady. I was sure it would be a wheel hub bearing, but there was no movement. Since there was a slight gritty sound when turning front right wheeel I started by changing the hub bearing there. I didnt change anything, apart from making the abs light coming on. The tyres has been changed so not from there either, and anyway to strong for that.

Any bids ? something with the driveshaft ?

ford focus tdi 1,8 2000 - rumbling noise - hardway

All I could suggest is go to a garage and get them to check this.

If it were in to me I'd put it up on the two post lift with someone in it and get it running and inger so the wheels are spinning then use my mechanics stethoscope and listen around to pin point where it's loudest.

Now you could do it on the ground with one wheel jacked up,

The diff would make the raised wheel spin in derive/gear,

but it's a bit dangerous as the listener has to be under a car with one wheel spinning away really close to his head.

But apart from that a cheap mechanics stethy will pinpoint any noise rumble with remarkable success.