Mercedes Benz C1.8 Coupe - Capri 2.8 replacement - bremskey

Hi, I'm looking for a car after selling my Capri 2.8 injection - looked at Toyota Selica but it's a bit too small...I'm 6'3"....need similar bootspace with back seats going down....been driving Capris for the last 35 years and can't quite bring myself to buy a Skoda Octavia or similar.. they seem so dull and homogenous, although they are reliable and cheap to maintain. saw a MB C1.8 coupe today and liked it....worried about maintenance cost ....2003 model ....full service history, 8 regular services to date .... any thoughts or advice?

Mercedes Benz C1.8 Coupe - Capri 2.8 replacement - Happy Blue!

I think you will be severely disppointed with the lack of ooomph and the dull interior after the Capri. You may be better looking for something like the Ford Probe with the Maza V6 or the Nissan 300ZX. Perhaps (if you had the cash) a BMW 840/850. Lots of options out there. Take your time and have fun looking around.

Mercedes Benz C1.8 Coupe - Capri 2.8 replacement - bremskey

Thanks - - didn't even know about the Probe =- looks sweet.. I'll check it out.

Mercedes Benz C1.8 Coupe - Capri 2.8 replacement - 72 dudes

Or maybe a more recent Ford Cougar (not Kuga!) with the V6 engine?

Mercedes Benz C1.8 Coupe - Capri 2.8 replacement - elekie&a/c doctor

Cougar or Probe.Both unwanted Ford lemons.For my money ,I would want one of the last Bmw 3 series E46 coupes.2004/5 with the fabulous 6 cylinder engine.Don't get much better than these.MB c class of this age are poor build quailty with an equally poor engine.Lots of running and timing chain issues.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 28/06/2016 at 21:28

Mercedes Benz C1.8 Coupe - Capri 2.8 replacement - barney100

.MB c class of this age are poor build quailty with an equally poor engine.Lots of running and timing chain issues.

Funny how many 'C' Classes of 2003 and much older are still around..............

Mercedes Benz C1.8 Coupe - Capri 2.8 replacement - barney100

Find a decent indie and Merc costs are kept down...i've been doing it for years. If you are interested in the 180 you can get advice on what to look out for from the members club.

Mercedes Benz C1.8 Coupe - Capri 2.8 replacement - jc2

Probe was basically a Mazda with a Mazda V6-not the same engine as used in Cougar & Mondeo.

Mercedes Benz C1.8 Coupe - Capri 2.8 replacement - jc2

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 29/06/2016 at 13:36

Mercedes Benz C1.8 Coupe - Capri 2.8 replacement - John F

What about an old Audi A6 2.8? Classic clean design, looks like a coupe with 4 doors, and you could probably sleep in the boot with the back seats down. Unlike rusty old MBs the bodies are galvanised. At 15yrs old my A6 had no corrosion when I sold it for a pittance and the excellent engine at 133,000m was as smooth and sweet as it was when I bought it at 77,000m; still with its original cambelt.

Mercedes Benz C1.8 Coupe - Capri 2.8 replacement - Cyd

I'm with Mr Blue, a MB180 will be dull as dishwater compared to a Capri 2.8.

I too like something with a bit of ooomph and a little left field. Today I have a Saab 9-3SS Aero with a fast road tune. If I could I'd have a Turbo X.

Mercedes Benz C1.8 Coupe - Capri 2.8 replacement - Avant

We like to help people choose their next car, but it's quite difficult to do that without knowing what their budget is.

As you looked at a 2003 Mercedes we can assume that that's the age of cars that you're going for: there are plenty of higher-powered coupes from Mercedes, BMW and Audi, for example, which will probably fit your tall frame, but something less 'prestige' would be either cheaper or newer for the same money.

It would be interesting to know why you sold your Capri: the 2.8i will surely become a modern classic, if indeed it isn't already. If yours was beyond repair would you consider another one?