What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Ka - front brakes - bozman

Yesterday I changed both front brake discs and pads on my daughter's 2007 Ford Ka 1.3. I have done this job before on other makes/models. It seemed straight forward enough and I had a set of instructions with me just in case. When I finished, I did the usual thing of pumping the pedal a few times then I would go off for a gentle test drive. I noticed straight away though that the brake pedal had virtually no play in it. It hadly compressed at all, maybe about half an inch. It was solid. I live in a quiet street so I decided to take the chance and go for a drive. When I braked the pedal was the same, hadly any play at all. It did stop the car at low speed, about 20mph but not as quickly as normal. I came to a slight incline and the car struggled to get up it. I had to put it in first and rev the b*****. There was a smell of burning so I stopped and inspected the front wheels. There didn't seem to be any glowing heat so I turned round and took it home. It feels like the pads are stuck to the discs and not allowing them to turn. I jacked the car up and tried to turn the wheels by hand. It took a lot of effort to turn them and they certainly did not spin like they should. I did not want to take everything apart until I get an opinion first so I know where to look where I cocked up. Thanks for all replies, all advice most welcome

Ford Ka - front brakes - gordonbennet

Assuming that the calipers slid easily back into position over the new discs/pads (so not too thick in combination for the caliper) i'm thinking of either pistons seizing in the bores of the calipers or the caliper sliders being seizing in place.

When you pushed the pistons back did they slide easily in the bores, if they don't slide easily i tend to leave them loosely assembled in situ with at least one pad still in place then pump them out to (nearly) their full extent (careful here you don't want to pop them out) and push them home serveral times..

If is suspect they are seizing in the bores, when they are well out i carefully ease the dust cover back and feed some correct brake grease under the cover and onto the piston with a cotton bud...repeat the pumping out pushing home (gently) till they move freely in the bores.

Secondly these are probably some sort fo sliding caliper, so again i make sure the sliders are clean rust free and well lubed.

Also did you scrape and wire brush the caliper free of rust and muck where the pad backing plate mounts and slides in the wear groove of said caliper...once clean a small amount of coppaslip in the groves will help keep things moving.

Note only use correct brake grease on brake parts, be sparing with coppaslip, brake grease will also lube sliders if that's all you have.

Don't know if any of that lot of guff makes any sense, good luck.

Edited by gordonbennet on 08/06/2016 at 21:19

Ford Ka - front brakes - bozman

Assuming that the calipers slid easily back into position over the new discs/pads (so not too thick in combination for the caliper) i'm thinking of either pistons seizing in the bores of the calipers or the caliper sliders being seizing in place.

When you pushed the pistons back did they slide easily in the bores, if they don't slide easily i tend to leave them loosely assembled in situ with at least one pad still in place then pump them out to (nearly) their full extent (careful here you don't want to pop them out) and push them home serveral times..

If is suspect they are seizing in the bores, when they are well out i carefully ease the dust cover back and feed some correct brake grease under the cover and onto the piston with a cotton bud...repeat the pumping out pushing home (gently) till they move freely in the bores.

Secondly these are probably some sort fo sliding caliper, so again i make sure the sliders are clean rust free and well lubed.

aAlso did you scrape and wire brush the caliper free of rust and muck where the pad backing plate mounts and slides in the wear groove of said caliper...once clean a small amount of coppaslip in the groves will help keep things moving.

Note only use correct brake grease on brake parts, be sparing with coppaslip, brake grease will also lube sliders if that's all you have.

Don't know if any of that lot of guff makes any sense, good luck.

Thanks for that. The piston didnt slide easily back in to the bore as it goes...but it hardly ever has when Ive changed the pads on brakes with this type of piston. I had to use a g-clamp to push the piston back, as ive done before on various Fords and Vauxhalls. Yes maybe this did do some damage so youre check would be good to look at this. Ive heard that it could be the brake servo so I have to check that too. I hope it is not as this is a £300 part...ouch

Ford Ka - front brakes - gordonbennet

G-clamp should not be necessary, a half decent flat screwdriver used carefully as a lever is more than sufficient to push normal sliding pistons back in place.

The pistons might free up with working and lubing, but its possible that new calipers might be needed if that doesn't work, peel the dust covers back and have a look see what the pistons are like, rusty ridge pitted barrell then it might new caliper time.

This is classic previous neglect IMO, brakes probably never been cleaned/lubed correctly since the car was made.