What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
HELP! - Pechacheli

Afternoon All

I bought a secondhand car back in Feb from an independent dealer.

The car is 6 months old and looked great when I bought it.

However a couple of weeks when the warm weather arrived I noticed my A/C wasn't working. I have since taken it to the main dealer who have just confirmed that the car must of suffered a front impact as the compressor has been changed and wasn't re-gassed!

The dealer confirmed the car wasn't involved in any accidents and that it hadnt had any damage.

Its going to cost me £90 to re-gas it and if the compressor is faulty and/or the connections then it will be £100's!

Do I have the right to get the dealer to sort this out???

Thanks

HELP! - Warning

Ask the independent dealer, see what they say. You will have to prove the fault was there in the car when you bought it. Re-gassing should not cost £90 and some independent garages offer better deals.

You should also contact the previous owner, you need to find out about the nature of the accident and the works may be under guarantee....

This is the frustrating thing about buying a used car, you don't know the history. Did the dealer know? Did they mislead you?

HELP! - Pechacheli

Many thanks for your repsonse. I haven't been able to get hold of the dealer yet. I have however received photos from the Main Dealer showing me signs where the works carried out are not correct e.g. the hose has been forced in with a screw driver and a label on the underside of the bonnet stating gas pressures has been painted over! The only positive is that the dealer has confirmed the car looks to be ok however who knows what may have happened! I doubt the chap I bought from will own up nor assist with this so guess I am on my own... Disappointed...

HELP! - Gibbo_Wirral

The new part will have serial numbers, so should be traceable. It all depends how helpful the dealer wants to be in detective work.