What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vauxhall Astra H 1.4 sxi - problems after fitting new clutch. - oilburner999

hello i have just fitted a second hand gearbox to my vauxhall astra 2006 1.4 sxi and installed a new clutch while i was at it. i fitted an LUK clutch and slave cylinder. the car now takes up to 10 seconds after releasing the clutch to start moving and the same after changing gear. the clutch pedal will also get very stiff and not work at all. i have bled the system using a pressure bleeder but still no change. only thing i can think of is I have misaligned the clutch trying to get the gearbox back in. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vauxhall Astra H 1.4 sxi - problems after fitting new clutch. - Oli rag

It sounds like the new clutch may be sticking on the gearbox shaft. Did you lube the splines before fitting the clutch?

What was the original reason you have changed both the box and clutch?

hello thanks for the reply. yes i was thinking it maybe that myself as no i didnt lube the spline before fitting. thought about it but then thought better not incase clutch got contaminated but after doing a bit of research i find that you are supposed to. looks like box off again and lube. gearbox failed, it blew a hole inside bell housing bits of gog roller type things everywhere in bell housing. with gearbox oil in there and while i was doing gearbox thought it best to fit new clutch at same time.

Vauxhall Astra H 1.4 sxi - problems after fitting new clutch. - Wackyracer

Are you sure the hose going to the slave cylinder is OK and not kinked? I've had similar problems to this in the past where the hydraulic hose to the slave cylinder has failed internally and acted like a one way valve.

ill check the hose in the morning before starting to get the box off again but I am getting plenty of clutch fluid through when i bleed the slave. but definately worth a check thank you.

got it sorted today. thanks for everyones help. I changed the master cylinder this morning. got one from a breakers for £20 and would love to say that it solved the problem but it didnt. so i checked the lines for any blockage by disconecting the pipe that attaches to the slace plastic T piece thing and was getting a free flow of fluid when pressure pleeding. so decided to pull the plastic T piece that the slave connects to and erm erm when i removed it from the old box the little rubber seal that goes on the end of the slave pipe must of come off and stayed in the chamber then i fitted new slave with new rubber seal not realising old seal was still up there. yes that was causing my blockage removed it reffited and everything spot on now. so a lesson to self check everything now matter how small and insignificant it may seem. felt like a bit of an idiot but problem sorted now and thanks again for all your help it did point me in the right direction as i was ready to pull the box again. how annoyed would i have been then.