What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - From a compound - Glasgow26

Hi there

I put a separate posting about buying a pre-reg Focus (65 plate) – I’ve signed for the car at Arnold Clark and it is being delivered to the dealer from the compound. I have said to the salesman that I will obviously have a good look over the car before fully committing to anything – is it normal practice for dealers to ask customers to sign for a car which is not “on site”? I’m just a bit worried that I’ve signed up for a car I haven’t actually seen, although I have test driven an identical model. The vehicle order form has the all the car details, including registration number, mileage, etc.

J

Ford Focus - From a compound - oldroverboy.

As per my reply to the other post..

If it is a holding deposit to hold the vehicle then you are ok as the same rules apply until you have inspected it. If it was a purchasing deposit the dealer would have asked for £500 at least.

Last Thursday I paid a £3500 deposit on my nearly new car AFTER I had inspected and driven it.

Did px today and all was well.

paid £329 for 3 years prepaid servicing.

Drove home.

Thanks for getting back to me. Its been a long time since I bought a car (always had Motability through my brother) - I'm just a bit nervous and worried about the whole thing!

Edited by Glasgow26 on 01/02/2016 at 17:01

Ford Focus - From a compound - oldroverboy.

Thanks for getting back to me. Its been a long time since I bought a car (always had Motability through my brother) - I'm just a bit nervous and worried about the whole thing!

Better to check before, 99.999% of sales happen like that and if you are not sure, take a friend who knows more about these things.

Sorry Glasgae is a wee bit too far for me to turn up.

Don't forget to let us know how it all goes, and tell the salesman that you are writing of your experience on this forum. I do unmercifully!

I just phoned Arnold Clark Customer Services and they have said that it is normal practice for a customer to sign a Vehicle Order Form for a car that is in the compound (all to do with space at the dealers). I think I'm worrying over nothing to be honest (I'm like that!). I'll go and see the car tomorrow evening after work, take it for a test drive and take it from there.

Ford Focus - From a compound - jc2

Not always stored in a compound;may be at another branch of the same dealership.The last new car I bought had been in the showroom of another branch but it was in the colour I wanted and I could have it within a couple of days.

Ford Focus - From a compound - Graham567

I bought my last car from Arnold Clark and test drove a similar car and then they checked on stock.The car i wanted was in Scotland (i'm in England),so i paid a £100 deposit on the assumption that they would bring it down on a low loader and as long as i was happy with it then i would buy it.Seeing as the car was pre reg and only had delivery miles on it,all i wanted to check before buying was that it was unmarked.When it arrived it was perfect and i paid the full balance and drove away.I saved £9000 off list price by doing it this way.I have had the car 5 years now and its been a good un.

Ford Focus - From a compound - RT

It's not uncommon for "manufacturer's approved" cars to be held in a central pool and released as required - typically "management" and ex-hire cars.

Provided the deposit is clearly subject to your inspection of the car, I'd not be concerned about that side of it.

On a few car forums I've used, there's a lot of detrimental comment about the dealer group you're using - that's where I'd be concerned.