What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hyundai Santa Fe - High Mileage - Sheffieldcalling

Found this car 2.2 CRDI at a cracking price but its racked up 140k on a 10 plate. Now it has FSH main dealer all bang on with service intervals with 1 former owner. Checked all previous MOT`s and nothing scary has appeared.

Condition of exterior and interior is great, so i was ready to buy but after talking to my mate he has given it the thumbs down based on the mileage saying it`s to high. So is their anything that i`m missing ? ive taken into account resale value and know that we be doing fairly small mileage of around 8k per year.

Hyundai Santa Fe - High Mileage - RT

What year is it?

Hyundai used two completely different 2.2 diesels - the 2006-2009 originates from VM Motori, has a cambelt that should have been replaced at 100,000 miles and matched to 4/5 speed gearboxes - the 2010-onwards is a Hyundai in-house design, has a camchain and 6-speed gearboxes.

The later engine has more power/torque and better economy.

At 140,000 miles all the suspension joints should have been replaced, probably several times and be wary if it's a 7-seater as they had self-levelling rear suspension which is expensive to replace, £1500-2000 but it won't have lasted 140,000 anyway!

As you're planning low mileage, be wary of the DPF - even the earlier model had one but called Catalytic Particle Filter (CPF) by Hyundai.

Hyundai Santa Fe - High Mileage - Sheffieldcalling

Thanks, some really good info is on a 10 plate.

Hyundai Santa Fe - High Mileage - oldtoffee

That amount of miles could work for you - I suspect many of the miles will be easy long journey or motorway miles so less wear on suspension, steering, brakes, gearbox, clutch. My 2011 Santa Fe has 61k on it but at 2 years old it had 45k on it and it still has 40% to 50% of brake pads left. The suspension is set up firm and mine has plenty of creaks and a few rattles but it had most of them from new. RT is right, parts are very expensive if you need them.