What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Lithium compact jump starters - misterbee

i have a 2.2 diesel Elegance (2002) Was thinking of getting a booster starter , one of the many smaller models on parade theses days.

Not many of them display the C.C.A. they may posess instead they show starting Amps and max. Power Amps . Anyone got rough idea or reccomenfation for which ones WILL start a dead battery up for a diesel engine 2.2 litre, thanks , Brian.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Lithium compact jump starters - Peter.N.

Don't know much about them but you will need 300 - 400 amps to start a diesel.

thanks

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Lithium compact jump starters - Wackyracer
I'd say probably non of them. When my Toyota 2.5 diesel had a completely flat battery it took a massive jump pack and industrial (25mm2 copper) jump leads connected to a running transit to get it started.

thanks

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Lithium compact jump starters - injection doc
As technology moves on its quite surprising just what a small lithium pack can do.
I have one not much larger than a mobile phone.
It starts my sprinter van when the battery goes flat.
It supplies 400 amps for cranking.
The unit does approximately 20 starts before recharging.
It also stays. Fully charged for 6 months without having to charge. My daughters have one in each of their cars.
In the instructions it advises that it's suitable for jump starting if the vehicle battery has about 10-20% charge. ( not dead ) and it's only for jump starting rather than trying to start a vehicle that has an underlying faults and requires loads of cranking.

Thats interesting, so when you start the van is there any turning of the engine at all prior to connecting the jumper or is there nothing at the turn of the key?

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate - Lithium compact jump starters - injection doc

when i park and leave the lights on the battery drops to the point where there isnt even a click from the starter solonoid.

When i was showing one to a garage owner he said I have an old Range Rover v8 parked in the back yard that hasnt run for 5 years ! i did point out that it wasnt designed for that senario but none the less he tried it and it spun over with gusto and even tried to fire so it proved a point and we left it at that.