What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo 1.8 - Do I need to buy a diesel? - rgt1973

I currently own a 52 plate Mondeo 1.8 zetec. We have had the car scince it was 3 years old and it came from one owner with full history and 92000 miles. It has now done 133000 and due to a change in circumstances i am now doing 2-3 thousand miles a month. The other day I worked out my MPG and to my surprise I found it was getting 44.5 mpg! It has no real value now but the clutch is nearing the end of its life and I need to work out if a diesel will work out cheaper. I do all my own maintainence although the cluch job would be farmed out. Have been offered a 53 plate Nissan Primera 2.2dci estate but not sure if it's worth it? Any suggestions?

Ford Mondeo 1.8 - Do I need to buy a diesel? - gordonbennet

Get that clutch changed keep it well serviced and run that Mundano till it falls apart.

44.5 is excellent from a petrol, IF you get another 10mpg from more expensive Diesel fuel it will only take one minor problem to claw back every penny you've saved.

Devil you know.

Ford Mondeo 1.8 - Do I need to buy a diesel? - rgt1973

That's my feeling too!

Ford Mondeo 1.8 - Do I need to buy a diesel? - elekie&a/c doctor

Replace the clutch ,and stick with it until it dies;Which it probably won't.There are plenty of newer cars out there that will be in the re-cycle bin before this car.

Ford Mondeo 1.8 - Do I need to buy a diesel? - daveyK_UK

there are hundreds if not thousands of the 1.8 in scrap yards across the country.

You will never need to pay dealer prices for a part, any mechanic can fix it and best of all, you know most of its history.

I wouldnt expect the engine to go much beyond 200k as the 2.0 petros dont tend to go much beyond 200k without the need for some refurbishment.

Saying that, a friend had a 2.0 petrol on an 02 with 260k with no work done to the engine (swirl flaps - but thats a given), the guy did a regular 60mile commute each day, the engine didnt miss a beat.

Ford Mondeo 1.8 - Do I need to buy a diesel? - Cyd

I agree with GB. That Mundano is bought and paid for and sounds to be running well at teh moment. Service it plenty and keep it going till it falls apart. It's saving you loads.

Ford Mondeo 1.8 - Do I need to buy a diesel? - potter6
I still have my Mondeo GLX estate from 1994 .it has still the same clutch and the exhaust is still the original.it has needed no new parts except for tyres.I use it every day.i am loath to change it but I wonder how much longer it will keep going as I would like a change.
Ford Mondeo 1.8 - Do I need to buy a diesel? - unthrottled

.i am loath to change it but I wonder how much longer it will keep going as I would like a change.

Contradiction within the sentence?! I think one should have a clear idea about what they want from a different vehicle, rather than vaguely thinking that something else must be better.

Ford Mondeo 1.8 - Do I need to buy a diesel? - potter6
I only assume that a more modern car should be better.Here in the south of France it would be nice to have air conditioning for example.At 79 I aspire to something like a Mercedes or a BMW as a last fling car.
Ford Mondeo 1.8 - Do I need to buy a diesel? - mss1tw

Why are you worried about whether a diesel will give you 2 more MPG then?!

Get a big lairy v8...or a whisper quiet whatever...delete as appropriate.