Jaguar S Type - Jaguar S type engine issue - Sollie
Hello folks. Wondering if someone can help me. I recently purchased a 2004 S type. The car was advertised as being in good condition apart from the slight tapping noise. I emailed the seller who advised that the noise went away after a while. Picked up the car and to be honest everything worked perfectly apart from the tapping noise. I took it to my local garage and the as soon as he heard the sound told me the pistons have gone and I would need a new engine. Well that was a shocker. I decided to get a second opinion and went to the local Jaguar dealer who also said the same thing. Contacted the guy I bought it off who told me he had done some investigation and quote " the engine tapping and pistons do not make that noise when you get a piston go you get a missfire and smoke,ive been told its either a big end tapping in that case you need new shells,or a hyd tappet sized and would need a new one,deff not a piston as the car wasnt misfiring,or smoking"

Also wanted to add there is a lot of oil leaking on the underside

Now all this sounds alien to me. I have told the guy I want my money back, but I must admit I do like the car and have thought about changing the engine. What would you folks suggest.

Appreciate any help/advice.

Thanks

Jaguar S Type - Jaguar S type engine issue - Collos25

I won´t go into why you bought a car in such a state,the fact that it runs ok no misfires seems to count out the top end re valves.A lot of oil under the car and a noise diagnosed as a big end so if you continue to use it then you will require without doubt a new crankshaft.Whatever the problem new shells,crankshaft or piston its a major job and an expensive one as well, the chances of getting your money back through a private sale are pretty slim so if you do not have the facilities to strip the engine down yourself you are in for some heavy outgoings.If you had a tappet siezed then you would get a misfire as it would not be running on one cylinder plus it would more than likely damage the camshaft or bend a valve stem.

Collos25 thanks for not asking why i bought the car. Am too embarrassed. Regarding the refund I will continue to chase, maybe through my card company.

Not having any experience of these types of issues, I guess i will not find the cause of the problem until I have someone open everything up. Am I correct? I have contacted a few FER registered reconditioners and waiting on some quotes at the moment.

Jaguar S Type - Jaguar S type engine issue - Collos25

Yes you are correct you need to take the head off for a start to find the problem.Good Luck.

Thanks. Anyone know of a good garage around Watford that I could use.

Jaguar S Type - Jaguar S type engine issue - Cyd

You mention having paid with a "card".

Was this a private sale or from a trader, then?

Makes a difference to your rights.

It was an eBay purchase payment via PayPal
Jaguar S Type - Jaguar S type engine issue - injection doc

Sollie Call me synical but before i got too "It was an eBay purchase payment via PayPal"

I was thinking this sounds very much like a trader trying to back door a dodgy car through e-bay ! why oh why do you buy these things, if somethings wrong walk away !

There are plenty of S types about for sale.

MAKE SURE you do plenty or research if you go to a budget engine centre ! you have been warned otherwise your nightmares will be only just begginning !

Jaguar S Type - Jaguar S type engine issue - Cyd

eBay, schmeebay. Ebay is just an advertising medium, like Autotrader magasine.

Private sale or trader?

Look at sellers sales history.

Jaguar S Type - Jaguar S type engine issue - pd

If the tapping noise was present at time of sale, was pointed out to you and was even in the advert you have almost certainly accepted the car in that condition at sale time.

I can't really see what grounds you have for a refund - you bought a car with an engine knock and it has an engine knock.

I presume it was cheap because of this and, if not, why didn't you buy one without any noise? There are enough out there.

Jaguar S Type - Jaguar S type engine issue - squarecarman

I don't know how much you paid for it or what the mileage is but personally I would just

drive it until the engine eventually died and then scrap it. I certainly wouldn't expend a lot

of time, money and heartache over it. At least you would get some value for your purchase price.

Thanks all foe the feedback. I have bought cars of eBay and indeed sold some as well and have never had any issues. I guess I am too trusting of people and believe that they will tell the truth. I have been told that if the pistons had gone then there would be a lot of smoke. It could be the piston dampers or the rods. I believe these parts are cheap but the whole engine has to be dismantled to find the actual issues. I will persevere and try to get the issue resolved.
Jaguar S Type - Jaguar S type engine issue - galileo
Thanks all foe the feedback. I have bought cars of eBay and indeed sold some as well and have never had any issues. I guess I am too trusting of people and believe that they will tell the truth. I have been told that if the pistons had gone then there would be a lot of smoke. It could be the piston dampers or the rods. I believe these parts are cheap but the whole engine has to be dismantled to find the actual issues. I will persevere and try to get the issue resolved.

Piston dampers?? Not a term I've heard of.

Jaguar S Type - Jaguar S type engine issue - focussed

Piston dampers? I think somebody is trying to do a snow job on you - take it to someone who knows what they are talking about.

I'm sorry but if you buy and sell a few cars then you must know a tap, knock or whatever from an engine is going to mean at least top end or worst bottom end. Either way bits of the engine are going to be coming apart to find and fix it.

If you haven't got even this basic knowledge then it may sound cruel but buying cars off ebay with declared faults really isn't a good idea. Lots of cars end up on ebay like this and sell well to people who buy them cheap and then fix them themselves.

I think you'll have to take this one on the chin and either run it until it dies, put it back on ebay as is or punt it to car auction.

Jaguar S Type - Jaguar S type engine issue - woogie

Not sure which engine these use but Im fairly sure one from a mondeo would slot in and judging by what rock bottom prices the big mondeos go for a far cheaper way. Certainly if you can sell on the mondeo bits and offset your outlay that way

Jaguar S Type - Jaguar S type engine issue - craig-pd130
I have been told that if the pistons had gone then there would be a lot of smoke. It could be the piston dampers or the rods. I believe these parts are cheap but the whole engine has to be dismantled to find the actual issues. I will persevere and try to get the issue resolved.

That's correct - a piston failure would lead to plenty of blue / white oil smoke and the engine would probably seize due to debris from the piston.

Is the noise a 'tap', like you'd get if you tapped a knife and fork lightly together? Or is it a deeper, louder knocking / clanking noise? Also, when does the noise actually happen -- can you hear it ALL the time, or is it only when the engine is stone cold? Can you hear it when the engine is pulling (i.e. when you are accelerating) or is it only when you lift off the throttle?

If you can better describe the exact nature of the noise, we might be able to help steer you towards the problem.

The oil leak could be serious, or it could simply be a leaking sump gasket or rocker cover gasket, which would be a cheap fix.

Mondeo engine is similar but not the same - Mondeo is FWD, S-Type RWD plus different head, intake system etc.

Which engine is this? 2.5/3.0 V6, 2.7 V6 diesel or 4.0/4.2 V8?

It's a 3L V6 petrol
Thanks again for the feedback. It's more a knocking sound that is always there. Kind of like if you remember Wheel of fortune on tv when they spun the wheel. I drove it from Slough to Watford it didn't stop for a second and got louder as you accelerate.