Mini Cooper S R56 - Mini Cooper S - Timing Chain Failure - Mini Cooper S 2007 Busted!

Purchased new in Sept 2007 and already spent out on Ingnition Coil, Fly Wheel, Clutch and Water Pump. Timing Tensioner upgrade 2009. Turbo Coolant Pump recalled and replaced 2013.

Last week the timing Tensioner has had a catistrophic failure and has subsequently seized the engine. The car now needs a new engine! How can a five year old car, with 44,000 miles on the clock and cost over £22,000, need a new engine!

BMW have refused to cover anything.

I have taken legal advice and been advised to fight. Please reply to post or get in contact at paperhatftp@me.com with your stories to support the case against BMW.

Mini Cooper S R56 - Mini Cooper S - Timing Chain Failure - barney100

That is a really sorry tale, I bet BMW will cover something though....themselves.

Mini Cooper S R56 - Mini Cooper S - Timing Chain Failure - Granny Rain
Why was the original timing tensioner replaced/upgraded after two years? Has the car been serviced every year? If so was it by BMW? I'm not a mechanic but I thought the timing belt only needs replacing every 60,000ish miles? Think each car is different so you would need to check. I would assume the tensioner would be replaced at the same time?

Do you have any type of warranty on the car?

Our car needs a new engine (see topic Audi Fsi sport 2.0 petrol; repair or scrap?) I do feel for you.

Edited by Granny Rain on 26/02/2013 at 06:42

Mini Cooper S R56 - Mini Cooper S - Timing Chain Failure - craig-pd130

If you have a full BMW service history and the tensioner upgrade was done at the main dealer then I think you've got a strong case.

The tensioner upgrade implies that BMW knows the component is weak, and evidently the "upgrade" is flawed, or was not fitted correctly.

Mini Cooper S R56 - Mini Cooper S - Timing Chain Failure - jacks

BMW have refused to cover anything.

Have you confirmed this yourself with BMW - or is this feedback from the main dealer?

A few years ago I had an extended warranty claim rejected by BMW but when I spoke to BMW direct it transpired that the dealer had not presented the claim properly - apparantly the dealer had submitted various costings covering all bases in case more problems were found when stripping the engine. BMW told me that their "system" would only sign off a fixed amount and because the dealer had not done this the claim was rejected. Unfortunately the lazy dealer simply fed back to me that "BMW won't pay".

Several phone calls between me the dealer and BMW later and a fixed price was agreed.

I don't know if the system is still the same (it was a few years ago)and it's not particulalry relevent to your case other than to ensure you speak to BMW direct (Bracknell IIRC) & get the full story.

I found them quite helpful andthe person had all the details of the claim and reasons up on the system and only needed the reg no to get all the history which they were happy to share.

If however you don't have a full BMW service history this will count against you

Mini Cooper S R56 - Mini Cooper S - Timing Chain Failure - skidpan

This ismoderately common due to the tlc service regime under which it can be years before they actually change the oil. My advice is to change the oil and filter every year or 10k miles whichever comes first.

HJ

The maximum time under TLC between oil changes is 2 years (know this as wife had a Mini) and with modern long life oils this is not an issue.

Change oil every 12 months if you must but be sure to use BMW spec oil and a genuine BMW filter.

Edited by Avant on 28/02/2013 at 21:12

Mini Cooper S R56 - Mini Cooper S - Timing Chain Failure - John F

Another thread about this apparently dodgy engine......it's not made by the K-series people, is it?

Should've designed it with a decent belt. Far less trouble, they don't need pricey oil and they should last the life of the engine/car if the things they drive don't break. Mine have-so far.

Mini Cooper S R56 - Mini Cooper S - Timing Chain Failure - Collos25

I believe its bought in from Chrysler Brasil it was used in a lot of vehicles.

I believe its bought in from Chrysler Brasil it was used in a lot of vehicles.

See my post re Tritec

It was a joint venture company set up by Rover (when owned by BMW) & Chrysler in Brazil specifically to design and manufacture a small 4-cyl petrol engine. production ceased in 2006

The engine the OP refers to is the later "Prince" PSA/BMW unit

The engine the OP refers to is the later "Prince" PSA/BMW unit

Is this the engine in the BMW 1 series that has no end of timing chain failures. But where does it say its a later engine you could buy minis with the Brasilian engine at the time this car was registered.

Edited by Collos25 on 08/03/2013 at 16:56

Another thread about this apparently dodgy engine......it's not made by the K-series people, is it?

No not related to the old K series

It's the "Prince" engine jointly developed by PSA & BMW - this particular 1.6 Turbo unit also powers some sporty Pug 207 & 308 models as well as post 2006 Cooper S. BMW produce theirs in Birmingham, PSA units made in France.

The non turbo 1.6 version powers all kinds of Citroen and Peugeots

The 1st generation BMW MINI used the Tritec engine - up to 2006 - this was a joint Chrysler/BMW engine used in the MINI and Chrysler PT & Neon, this was produced in Brazil. This engine plant was sold to Fiat following BMW's cancellation of the Tritec contract

J

Come to think off it PAS do not to my knowledge produce an engine with a timing chain,having had recently 3 x C5 2x407,1xC3 1xC4 1x 307 mixture of diesels and petrols 1.4 and 1.6 all with cam belts,the 207,208,307,308 cc are cam belt engines as are all Cits .Fords where they now use PAS are all cam belts.I and my son own 1x5 series,3x3 series,1x7 series all chain engines.Whether they produce some oddball engines for somebody I do not know but certainly not in the run of the mill cars.

The BMW 1 series chain failure was a design fault and will be changed out under warranty at request actually I think it was the tensioner that was faulty unlike the 1.4 VWs which was a design fault in the actual chain ,nothing to do with oil or any other service reason, a pure design fault.

Edited by Collos25 on 08/03/2013 at 19:09