What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus mk1.5 2005 1.8 TDCi - Focus tdci 1.8 power loss after 3000rpm - cozzie121

Hi, I could do with some expert help please. My focus tdci has caught this common intermittent problem but searching through the forums and been to a few garages nobody can diagnose the issue. The mpg has fallen badly, losiing around 80 miles per full tank.

I have had it on the diagnostics and no fault codes are showing. It has been regularly serviced with a new fuel filter only 4k miles ago. Last year all 4 injectors went and they were replaced along with an egr valve and maf sensor.

I would take it to a ford dealer but with labour rates circa £50 an hour its not something I can afford to do. I would appreciate an advice in solving this intermittment fault. Thanks in advance.

Ford Focus mk1.5 2005 1.8 TDCi - Focus tdci 1.8 power loss after 3000rpm - Collos25

Has the car a elecontric or a vacuum operated turbo actuator if electronic these are a very common failure point also a fault with the turbo can give the symptoms you describe.You say you fitted a new EGR vavle was the inlet manifold and all the adjacent pipework cleaned out.

Ford Focus mk1.5 2005 1.8 TDCi - Focus tdci 1.8 power loss after 3000rpm - cozzie121

Hi, thanks for the reply, I believe it is a vacuum operated turbo vein actuator. I never fitted the EGR valve, this was all done during the replacement of the injectors by my local garage. I don't suppose they made a whole effort to clean out anything else at the same time.

I have replaced one of the turbo intercooler hoses in the last few months, the 2nd hose seemed to be ok. The symptoms were quite different though, a lack of power across the range rather than over 3000rpm. The car still pulls strongly up to 3000rpm.

Ford Focus mk1.5 2005 1.8 TDCi - Focus tdci 1.8 power loss after 3000rpm - BenG

Is it possible the variable turbo vanes are sticking, which gives an overboost condition and could be putting the ECU into limp-home mode? This happens with the VW 1.9 TDI and is accompanied by a sudden loss of power after driving with high boost.

If so, there are various turbo cleaning products available like Revive or Innotec which might be worth a try, though since they need to be fed directly into the turbo it's probably a garage job.

First off, you could check the variable vane actuator arm on the side of the turbo is free to move by hand (it's a metal rod which actuates a short metal arm via a pivot) and if it seems rough or sticky then I guess you might have a problem.