What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 TDCi - Tips for pully removal - APD

I have a 2003 focus 1.8TDCi. I had the misfortune of having the Serpetine belt breaking on me. Fortunely i was on my way home and in daylight hours. I only had to wrestle with the steering, how did we ever manage without pwer steering .

Now the problem is i cannot get the bottom pully off the engine. When i removed the old belt which had bits wound round the pully's, I found that i had a lot of oil around the bottom driven pully.

I am asuming that the belt has damaged the oil seal in behind the pully. I have spoken to the parts Dept. at my local dealership and they told me it was a standard Hex bolt. Now I have tried using a heavy duty impact gun to try and reverse the bolt out, but no success.

I hope that someone can give me a top tip for getting this bolt out. Or even is this the likley place for the oil leak.

APD

Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 TDCi - Tips for pully removal - thunderbird

The belt breaking will not have damaged the oil seal, its simply come to the end of its life. To replace the oil seal is not as simple as removing bottom pulley, fitting new seal and refitting pulley. Behind the sepentine pulley and covers is the cam belt pulley. To remove that you have to remove the cam bely along with all the front covers. Whilst it is off replace the cam belt. On a 1.6 its sensible to fit new guide and tenstion pulleys to the cam belt while its off, do the same on a 1.8.

The bottom pulley bolt will normally come off with an air gun but you need a really good prosessional one, the cheap DIY ones are simply not up to the job.

Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 TDCi - Tips for pully removal - TeeCee

>> how did we ever manage without pwer steering .

By having steering racks geared for more turns lock-to-lock and thus requiring less effort to turn. Also larger steering wheels to provide more leverage.

I once had an Austin 1800 "Land Crab". Front wheel drive and built like a tank. No power steering but driveable, if a bit heavy. The drawback to being able to do that is that the number of full turns of the wheel it took to take the steering through its full travel would not have felt out of place on the ship's wheel of a Tea Clipper and the steering wheel was the same size as the road wheels.

Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 TDCi - Tips for pully removal - skidpan

>> how did we ever manage without pwer steering .

By having steering racks geared for more turns lock-to-lock and thus requiring less effort to turn. Also larger steering wheels to provide more leverage.

I once had an Austin 1800 "Land Crab". Front wheel drive and built like a tank. No power steering but driveable, if a bit heavy. The drawback to being able to do that is that the number of full turns of the wheel it took to take the steering through its full travel would not have felt out of place on the ship's wheel of a Tea Clipper and the steering wheel was the same size as the road wheels.

Whats that got to do with the OP's question about removing a pulley bolt.

Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 TDCi - Tips for pully removal - lordwoody

"Whats that got to do with the OP's question about removing a pulley bolt."

Part of the OP's question was "How did we manage without power steering"

Skidpan was answering that part of the question, doesn't seem that hard to understand does it?

Ford Focus Saloon 1.8 TDCi - Tips for pully removal - APD

Thanks guys, I have found out that on the front face of the pully there are four dimples on it for positioning of a tool that you can use to hold against the crank pully while I use suitable socket and breaker bar to reverse the bolt.

I was advised to double check that the car was secure as it would take quite a bit of force to crack the bolt free. (being on the large side came in useful.)

APD.