What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mondeo mudflaps - Marc
I'm attempting to fit a set of Ford mudflaps to a new shape Mondeo. On the front the instructions show the wheel arch liner being pulled back in order to fit the screw brackets onto the wheel arch (after first removing plastic caps). Any idea how this is done? It seems impossible without removing the wheel and liner entirely.
Mondeo mudflaps - Jacko
Marc,
I've recently fitted a set to my new shape Mondeo. Forget what it says in the instructions unless you want to damage the edge of the wheel arch and trash your paintwork.
The wheel arch liner is way too thick to bend back as the instructions show.
Do as you say, remove the wheel, remove the two plastic caps on the edge of the wheel arch (as per Ford instructions).
On the wheel arch liner to the left of the strut there are two more attachment points. Remove the 8 mm headed bolt, and there is a plastic button above. Remove the expander screw in the plastic button, once the screw is out you can carefully prise the plastic button out. Now you can bend and slide the wheel arch liner easy with no risk of damage and fit the screw brackets to the edge of the wheel arch.

Pete.
Mondeo mudflaps - Marc
Thanks for this Pete. I'll give this a try on my next attempt. Will I need to buy new plastic screws and buttons (from Ford presumably) first to replace the ones removed or are they re-usable?

Also, do you have any tips for the rears or are they relatively straightforward as per the instructions?
Mondeo mudflaps - Jacko
Marc,
Should be able to re-use the plastic screws and buttons. Just be careful prising the buttons out once the screws are removed. The type of tool used for removing inner door trims with plastic type button fittings are ideal for this job.
As for the rears....It says in the Ford instructions to remove the rear wheel, this is only to give access to fit the self tapping screw. If you have a good angle screw driver you can fit this screw without removing the rear wheel.

Pete.
Mondeo mudflaps - Keith S
If they are anything like the ones fitted to my 1999 Mondeo they will remove the paint from the side of the wing in no time. The warranty for the flaps is 1 year and any damage done by them will not be covered by the ford corrosion warranty.

I would never fit them on the front. I suppose at the back they are only going to damage a plastic bumper.

I recon the things harbour more salty mud to cause corrosion that the stuff they save.
Mondeo mudflaps - Marc
Keith - That's interesting. How have they damaged the paint on the front wing exactly? I've had "flaps" on most of my cars but have never experienced any paint/body damage with them. Only problem is when they work themselves loose I find

The new ones I have bought are held onto the wing itself with strips of double sided scotch tape (!) as well as the obligatory screws and clips on the arch lip
Mondeo mudflaps - Keith S
Where they wrap around the side of the wing they rub against the paint.

I would never spend £10,000 plus and then bolt or clamp things onto the nice paint job (arch lip)

I suppose it depends on how long you intend to keep it.

Mine is 4 years old now. I am not going to remove the flaps and try to repair the rust. The thing will be almost worthless in 2 or three years and I don't think the rust will affect the price much further.
Mondeo mudflaps - madf
Fiesta mudflaps from Ford come with a clear plastic sticky to adhere to the wing to prevent rusts. They are much better than any aftermarket ones.

I would suggest it is likely Ford ones will be the same for a Mondeo..(More expensive in case of a Fiesta (£22 versus £14) than aftermarket but MUCH better quality).

madf