What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
How amusing - jamie745

We've had some snow where I live, not too much mind, the sensible wheels and Michelin Primacy tyres on the S-Type mean it gets on perfectly fine despite being RWD.

However I do enjoy seeing clips on the local news of posh pansies with their low-profile BMW's sliding back down the hill.

Serves you right. My pet rabbit could work out that was never going to get up an icy hill.

How amusing - countryroads

Its brilliant to stand and watch, my mate has been moaning about his 3.0 BMW Z4 being useless, my old P reg V12 7 series never let me down despite being huge and much more powerful, it was on 16 inch rims though!

It seems the more modern BMWs and the like either sit there spinning with the TC off, or wont do anything at all with it on!

How amusing - jamie745

In fairness to the Mercedes E Class he did take the time to get the sodding snow off the car before he ventured, but still predictably failed to get very far.

How amusing - bathtub tom

Daughter 'phoned to say she got to work in her MX5 with pedestrians pushing, but was worried about getting back. I told her to learn some clutch control and pull away at tick-over. She later called to say why had no-one ever told her that before!

How amusing - Happy Blue!

Friend just fitted winter tyres to his wife's 3-series. Last year she couldn't get out of her drive in the snow on the regular tyres.

How amusing - jamie745

Good argument for banning women from the roads.

How amusing - TeeCee

Reminds me of trying to get up a rather steep hill in Prague. Something came the other way as the hill bent to the left and the eejit in front slowed down: "Don'tstopdon'tstopdon'tstop....there's plenty of room....oh you b***** stopped you utter ^&*%$%%$!!!"

Neither of us could get going again. Back down the hill, eejit and everyone else decides to go elsewhere. I turn around, take a run and sail up easily with the traction control lamp blinking away furiously.

Winter tyres and don't stop. Works every time. Traction control takes the thinking out of the throttle control side of the process and is firmly on the "nice to have" list.

How amusing - Engineer Andy

We've had some snow where I live, not too much mind, the sensible wheels and Michelin Primacy tyres on the S-Type mean it gets on perfectly fine despite being RWD.

However I do enjoy seeing clips on the local news of posh pansies with their low-profile BMW's sliding back down the hill.

Serves you right. My pet rabbit could work out that was never going to get up an icy hill.

I remember from the "big blizzard" of early 2003 (if I recall correctly) several beemers doing the same - on one hill where we all had to stop (a lorry had got stuck) a 5-series with bling-bling low profiles on decided to have a go on a similar road that could get to the top via another route (still a hill though), but which had only fresh snow on it.

Needless to say he managed to get 50m up the hill (not even a 1/4 of the way), came to a halt, then slid back down, bouncing off the kerbs like a bumper car, from one side to the other. Everybody watching below had a great laugh at his expense. Thank God I had a little Micra with (relatively) skinny tyres back then - no probs at all apart from waiting for others in front.

To be honest even with my Mazda3 on 205/55 R16s I've never had a problem driving on snow and ice (touch wood!) in the 7 years I had it - for once being a light-footed driver is not something to laugh at! My neighbour and his wheel-spinning BMW 325 is though!

How amusing - thunderbird

At the gym/leisure centre last evening, car park was sheet ice several inches thick. They could have closed the ice rink and done it in the car park. Only spaces were up a steepish slope at the top end. Drove up fine in BMW as had owner of new Jag XF. Lady comes along in oldish Nissan Micra. Gave it loads of boot and stopped. Guys from Jag tried to push her up saying gentle on the throttle and clutch but she still gave it full boot with the car slewing sideways, eventually it started to slide back down the slope and the 2 Jag bloked bailed out fast.

So in truth in that car park I would have put my money on the Micra but the muppet behind the wheel managed to defy the laws of physics.

How amusing - Engineer Andy

At the gym/leisure centre last evening, car park was sheet ice several inches thick. They could have closed the ice rink and done it in the car park. Only spaces were up a steepish slope at the top end. Drove up fine in BMW as had owner of new Jag XF. Lady comes along in oldish Nissan Micra. Gave it loads of boot and stopped. Guys from Jag tried to push her up saying gentle on the throttle and clutch but she still gave it full boot with the car slewing sideways, eventually it started to slide back down the slope and the 2 Jag bloked bailed out fast.

So in truth in that car park I would have put my money on the Micra but the muppet behind the wheel managed to defy the laws of physics.

Just goes to show technique is just as important (sometimes more so) than equipment. I know quite a few people with MX-5's who don't have too much problems, even though they have a light RWD car with little weight over the driven wheels.

Light-footed sad gits 1 - 0 Heavy-footed yoofs!

How amusing - thunderbird

Wrong.

Light-footed sad gits 2 - 0 Heavilly made up tart

How amusing - Bobbin Threadbare

Wrong.

Light-footed sad gits 2 - 0 Heavilly made up tart

Excuse me. I have had no problems on the ice in my MX5 and do not go for the orange-skinned WAG look.

How amusing - Canon Fodder

My friend has a 330 convertable - she calls it Bambi...