Still looking for a new car! - Harry Hammer

Going car shopping in the morning. Here's the short list, whats peoples thoughts?

2009/59 Passat 1.4 TSI S with 10000 miles £6995

2010/59 Altea 1.9TDI 105 S with 19000 miles £6795

2008/58 Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance Estate 20000 miles £6995

2009/59 Volvo S40 1.6 S with 22000 miles £6995

All above one owner and full service history.

Daily round trip of 25 miles a day so diesel not overly needed. Needs to be reliable and looking to keep for 4 years. Weekend runs to football with twin 8 year old daughters.

What's everyones thoughts? I will be buying one of them tomorrow.

Still looking for a new car! - jamie745

All four look underwhelming for the money in my view. I'm struggling to nail down what sort of car you want going from that list.

I'm not looking for anything specific.

Needs to be reliable with a reasonable MPG.

I'm coming from a Peugeot 407 2.2 petrol.

Still looking for a new car! - countryroads

I have to agree with Avant, the Octavia is the one from that list. 1.8Tsi is a nice motor and pulls really well from low revs making it easy to drive with an eye on the fuel gauge!

You will definately find the 1.4tsi engine in anything poor on fuel, particularly at speed and in a larger car.

Also, give me a specced Octavia over a boggo Passat anyday!

Edited by countryroads on 28/12/2012 at 18:14

Still looking for a new car! - Avant

Perhaps predictably (as I have an Octavia myself) I'd choose the Octavia out of that list.

It has a lot more room and versatility than the others, assuming the Passat is a saloon (the S40 is a saloon and the Altea isn't very clever with its rear seats). The girls will be even more reluctant to travel light when you go on holiday, as they grow older.

It has more power than the others: the 1.8 is a good engine, and the 1.4 is as yet unproven as regards longevity, particularly pulling the heavy Passat.

The Passat might sound attractive being newer and with a lower mileage, but at just over 3,000 miles a year it could have done a lot of short journeys which will have done it no good.

All this assumes that the cars are in good condition and that a test drive doesn't reveal anything untoward. Also what warranty you get from the dealer may be a factor.

Good luck, and do let us know how you get on.

Edited by Avant on 28/12/2012 at 17:56

Thanks for the feedback so far.

The Passat come with 6 months whilst the rest get the bog standard 3 month from the sellers.

Still looking for a new car! - Bobbin Threadbare

Going car shopping in the morning. Here's the short list, whats peoples thoughts?

2009/59 Passat 1.4 TSI S with 10000 miles £6995

2010/59 Altea 1.9TDI 105 S with 19000 miles £6795

2008/58 Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance Estate 20000 miles £6995

2009/59 Volvo S40 1.6 S with 22000 miles £6995

All above one owner and full service history.

Daily round trip of 25 miles a day so diesel not overly needed. Needs to be reliable and looking to keep for 4 years. Weekend runs to football with twin 8 year old daughters.

What's everyones thoughts? I will be buying one of them tomorrow.

That Volvo will be sluggish. Passat is really dull and slow. Altea is a different type of car and probably you don't need a diesel on 25 miles a day. I'd incline to the Octavia. Also nobody will nick it.

Still looking for a new car! - 72 dudes

That Volvo will be sluggish. Passat is really dull and slow. Altea is a different type of car and probably you don't need a diesel on 25 miles a day. I'd incline to the Octavia. Also nobody will nick it.

I agree with Bobbin: The S40 1.6 is pointless, and I'm an S40 driver (2.0D SE).

At first glance I preferred the Passat, although it is the lowly S version. The 1.4 TSi engine is considerably stronger than the original 1.6 FSI, so it will not be underpowered. However, if there is any doubt over it's unreliability, it's best to avoid.

The Altea is horrible - inside and the engine.

So I guess that's another vote for the Octavia Estate. The price does look a little high when compared to the others, so negotiate hard (there's a new Octavia due out in Feb/March). Hopefully the dealer will have more wriggle room.

Still looking for a new car! - bazza

There are a lot of timing chain related threads on the VAG forums, especially with the 1.4 TSI motor. Is the 1.8 tsi better in this respect, being older and more proven, I wonder? It's a well regarded motor from what I can deduce and might be on my list of possibles at some stage. I'm put off the 1.4 and 1.2 tsi engines based on what I've read about them. Although i appreciate that the negatives are often magnified on the internet.

Still looking for a new car! - tyro

It's a bit like buying shoes. Without sitting in a vehicle and giving it a test drive I wouldn't have a clue which of the four I would buy.

If I had to stick my neck out, I'd plump for the Altea. The 1.9 TDI 105 engine is well regarded and reliable. And, curiously enough, I've actually driven one of the things.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=62052

Still looking for a new car! - coopshere
Without a good test drive and researching the pro's and con's none should be on a short list. Only draw up the list when you are certain of the model you want otherwise you are likely to be forced into buying what is just the best of those four rather than rejecting all four if they don't come up to scratch or meet your needs.

Have never driven or owned any of the four mentioned but a small engined car the size of a passant is going to have to work hard. The mileage you give suggests no more than 12k per year so a diesel is not a good bet long term.

Don't rush into it, 7k is a lot to throw away on a sudden urge to buy.

Call me slightly mad if you want but I'd think on 25 miles a day with that much money to spend theres all manner of things you can get hold of if you're willing to go even a little older. It's not 1970 anymore, cars don't fall apart after 6 months.

The cars listed are just very boring to me, there's nothing interesting about them.

In response to Bazza...Its hard to say if the 1.8 will be better as the 1.8tsi has probably been the slowest selling engine offered in VAG cars recently.

The 1.4 in the Passat is just the 122ps turbo version, and while there have been some issues with reliability (I have seen a twincharged one hole a piston) my main problem with it is awful fuel economy and a general feeling of being underpowered, even in a Golf.

The 1.8 is a 'grown up' engine in feel, same family as used in 2.0 flavour in things like newer Golf GTi.

They however do use a Simplex chain, and long life service intervals are not kind to them, even with proper spec oils, I wouldnt run any of them more than 6k miles, but then I'm over cautious!

The 1.8 seems to be perfectly happy with 95 petrol too, whereas to give their best the 1.4 really needs 98+ which gets expensive, similar to the old 1.6fsi.

Edited by countryroads on 28/12/2012 at 23:00

Still looking for a new car! - Avant

I wonder how connected your two statements 'I will be buying one of them tomorrow' and 'coming from a Peugeot' are....

If the Peugeot can stagger on for a few more days, you could do well to follow some wise advice above; once you've decided which of the four cars you prefer, buy only if you're sure that this is the best one you can find for the price. Autotrader will show you how many there are within range of you.

The Peugeot is fine. It's just gives the impression that something will Ho wrong soon being a 2005 car.
I've looked at something older than those mentioned but I do have to look at maintenance/running costs and buying something 3 years old gives me greater confidence than something 6 years old.
Obviously, the purchase is going to depend on the part ex of the Pug but I appreciate all the cars are not fun, fun, fun! £7000 is what I have and it's got to last, without costing me the earth in repair costs etc.

And whats wrong with a Peugeot Avant?

*sits with folded arms and glare on face*

Still looking for a new car! - thunderbird

If you do 10,000 miles a year for 4 years a diesel is well worth considering. If the petrol would average 35 mpg and the diesel 45 mpg there would be a £1500 saving on fuel plus savings on VED as well. Add to that small petrols pull very badly at low revs wheras small diesels are great at this making them a much better drive. The exception to that is the VW group 105 bhp 1.6, its pants, the old 1.9 105 bhp was no better. The PSA 110PS engine used in Ford, Peugeots, Citroens etc is a cracking engine as is the 1.6 CRDi in the Kia Ceed and Hyundai i30.

One injector goes wrong and your £1500 saving is wiped out. Someone seriously interested in cheap motoring would buy a 15 year old simple petrol car with something approaching a service history, an MOT and just go from there.

Anything else is pseudo cheap motoring with the loud killer of petrol station visits replaced by the deadly silent wallet-eater of depreciation.

Well, the four cars I mentioned were either poorly presented or a shocking part ex figure!

So, ended up with a 2010 Meriva B 1.4T (120bhp) S model with 13k miles for £7285 and a part ex figure £500 more than anywhere else.

It's go sufficient legroom in the rear for the kids with the clever Flexiseat system, enough power for my 25 miles a day commute, low mileage, cheap tax and insurance.

Also has remainder of manufacturers warranty and Network Q for remaining months.

Well I hope you're happy with it but it all sounds a bit tragic to me.

£7k on a 1.4 Vauxhall.

So I was expected to buy a V8 was I jamie745!!!

The idea was to reduce outgoings from my 2.2 petrol peugeot and therefore I'm saving over £100 a year on road tax, plus a similar amount on insurance, plus over 10mpg.

It is a turbo version with 120PS, so its got sufficient poke for my daily commute and room for my kids in the back.

therefore I'm saving over £100 a year on road tax, plus a similar amount on insurance, plus over 10mpg.

You're not saving anything at the moment because you've spent £7,000 to get your £200 a year back and 10mpg.

I dont think that was what was meant by jamie745 at all. Its just the type of car is quite different to your first suggestions. I was a little surprised at the result too, each to their own but it is a little sad...its not hip to be square!

A mate of mine pulled the gearshift out of the floor in a hired Meriva during a spirited upchange too :)

I have to laugh when people spend so much to save on road tax...my sis did it the other way around, stopped paying for finance so she can have a big 2.0 coupe, £270 tax and 35mpg and still pay out less money...

Edited by countryroads on 04/01/2013 at 16:49

I have to laugh when people spend so much to save on road tax...my sis did it the other way around, stopped paying for finance so she can have a big 2.0 coupe, £270 tax and 35mpg and still pay out less money...

Yes well that's my point. I don't mind someone spending £7k on a 1.4 Vauxhall if they want a 1.4 Vauxhall. But spending £7k to 'save' £200 on insurance/tax and get another 10 mpg is a hilarious false economy.

£7k buys lots of petrol. Enough to get my Jaguar to the shops and back!

Harry is justifying it on cost grounds so I will criticise on cost grounds. How long will this £7k purchase take to pay for itself vs Peugeot?

Still looking for a new car! - Canon Fodder

1.4T will guzzle gas unless you drive like the proverbial district nurse.

Those small petrol engines seem to give the biggest discrepency between the 'official' figures and actual

The 'official figures' are based on a test during which the car is stationary 40% of the time and the average speed of the extra-urban section is 50mph.

Jamie, your entitled to your opinion.

I am aware all cars can fail, however the chances of a 2010 vs 2005 car failing are more in my favour with the newer car. The peugeot had experienced a couple of issues and the costs were quite large. Factor this into the toal equation and I'm happy with my purchase.

It suits the family needs and perhaps my initial choices were wrong for our needs.

Enjoy the Jag!