What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CRV 2 ltr. petrol - early clutch failure - Glider4

burnt out at 40,000m. all my previous cars have done over twice this and still been o.k.when sold on. I have recently swapped a second car, a 7 year old MX5 with 115,000m. on original clutch. But honda insist its the way I drive. The CRV is mainly used for long runs and I use the cruise control as often as I can also the acel/decel buttons which is the first car I have had this device on. Is there any way that my use or overuse of cc, or any other cause can bring about the early demise of said clutch. Repairing dealer can`t find fault with hydraulics.

Honda CRV 2 ltr. petrol - early clutch failure - TeeCee

Is there any way that my use or overuse of cc, or any other cause can bring about the early demise of said clutch.

Er, no. It doesn't change gear. If anything, the fact that you do mainly long runs and that use of the cc would indicate that you spend most of the time in one gear, I'd expect the clutch to last rather longer than it would in more average use.

The fact that you haven't been changing gear much and that it's burned out, suggests it's been slipping all on its own. That would, in turn, suggest that there was a fault with the clutch cover (pressure plate) fitted.

My driving history and minimal use of clutch was my argument to honda but to no avail. I have been told about a switch under the clutch pedal? which has something to do with the cc that if not properly adjusted can cause clutch to slip -- any truth?

Honda CRV 2 ltr. petrol - early clutch failure - Collos25

Did you buy the car brand new and are you the only driver.

Yes, Yes, and it`s still under warranty, but still going to cost me a grand! Hence why I`m trying to find rational answer.

Honda CRV 2 ltr. petrol - early clutch failure - Collos25

If that is the case then Honda should pay a good proportion of the costs I would ask to see the parts removed and make sure they are the parts and not some removed from another car and insist they are examined.A clutch poperly treated should last many more miles than you have recorded I knew they had a problem in the past with the rear diff and associate parts but I though this had been cured.

I`ve already requested all parts that are removed, but I have a feeling all they are going to show is a burnt out clutch